Upcoming Site Improvements

1234568»

Comments

• Alucard20Alucard20 ANEW Joined: Posts: 1,143Registered

please for the love of GOD fix The mvc2 SECTION!!!

Vampire savior. Main: Jedah Sub: Zabel, Gallon.
    Marvel vs Capcom. Strider, Gambit, Wolvie, venom, MM and spidey
    Marvel vs Capcom 2: Too many to name.
    Mvc3: ???
  • ExandExand Watching Joined: Posts: 147Registered
    Would love to see links open in new windows instead of replacing the current page.
    Helpful when you want to view a link but don't want to leave the current page you're reading.

Also, I hate to complain but...

Am I the only one who dislikes the WYSIWYG comment box? I've resorted to simply switching to Show Source view and typing everything out in HTML because it's faster than struggling with the editor. The editor loves to mangle formatting if you go back to edit a sentence or adjust a quote / link. I preferred the old style with the "preview" :|

Currently Playing:
    SSF4 AE | Dota2
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 9,879Registered
    Exand said:
    Would love to see links open in new windows instead of replacing the current page.
    Helpful when you want to view a link but don't want to leave the current page you're reading.

try clicking links with your mouse scroll wheel, or opening the context menu. every link opening a new window by default is terrible design.
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • ifbpwnstarifbpwnstar Joined: Posts: 498Registered
    Can we please have word on :atk: returning? At least tell us if this is on the agenda or if there will be a new standard. If it's not gonna return we can at least type it out normally without cluttering it with all the " : "'s

PLEASE. I so dont give a fuck about avatars being blurry when we have old links and :atk: broken. Those are FAR more important right now.
    Determined to claim the title of best Captain 'Murica player. Bring it at EVO! O____________O
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    UMvC3 Teams: Cap(ss)/Vergil(rapid)/Doom(missile), Task(H arrow)/Doom(missile)/Vergil(rapid)
    SC5: Astaroth
    SC4: Ivy, Rock
  • ExandExand Watching Joined: Posts: 147Registered
    pherai said:
    Exand said:

try clicking links with your mouse scroll wheel, or opening the context menu. every link opening a new window by default is terrible design.
    Terrible design? Are you still on IE6? There's a reason why browsers have tabs... (new window = new tab).
    Not to mention which do you do more often, click several links one after the other or click one link to open and view?
    Currently Playing:
    SSF4 AE | Dota2
  • The MartianThe Martian I squee for Squigly. Joined: Posts: 1,418Registered
    This avatar shit is increasingly annoying. 

It can't be that much of a daunting, terrible, and world-shattering task to just give us a NON SHITTY resolution for our avatars. Seriously, how long would it take to fix if they just sat down and actually focused on it?

If I was the people coding this shit I would have just done it already just to silence all the people bitching about it. (Which is like, 80 percent of SRK). They're fixing this site to make it a nicer experience for its users, correct? If so then why don't they address the things that USERS are complaining most about?  ~X(
    Skullgirls| DOA| Alpha 3| SSFIV
    I like Valentine, Mila, and Cammy.
    XBL: The Martian IV
  • d3vd3v Grumpy Infraction Machine Joined: Posts: 18,541Registered, Moderators
    Exand said:

This.
    Exand said:
    Also, I hate to complain but...

Am I the only one who dislikes the WYSIWYG comment box? I've resorted to simply switching to Show Source view and typing everything out in HTML because it's faster than struggling with the editor. The editor loves to mangle formatting if you go back to edit a sentence or adjust a quote / link. I preferred the old style with the "preview" :|

They should just get rid of the HTML altogether and stick to BBCode only.
    Pinoy2DFighters - The Philippines brings you 3 things: terrorists, trolls and ass beatings in MAHVELL.
    D3Vlicious.com - Fighting game and arcade stick news.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious
    PSN: unityd3v (US), pinakaguwaping (HK)
  • zUkUuzUkUu Theory Pro Joined: Posts: 3,188Registered
    I wonder what takes so long to fix some stuff. I don't mean that as flame, I'm honestly curious. What is the problem with the avatars? (not the cause of this, I'm well aware). I mean that's a very basic function and shouldn't be too hard to config, so WHERE is the problem here? The admins? The software? What?

I just noticed the change to BB code only. GREAT! my key short cuts ala ctrl+b work again, I can resize the window, and have a preview button!
    我道
  • KasperIsagerKasperIsager Joined: Posts: 3Administrative
    edited March 2013
    Hiya SRK,

I'm one of fellas coding this "shit" (I write the front end) and I thought I'd reach out to ya'll personally as I'd like to comment on some of the issues we (especially me) are currently facing with the SRK community:
    • Avatars. I know it sucks but I honestly have no idea why they're acting up. I've been trying to locate the problem for way too long now without success but it seems to be related some inner workings of Vanilla; I'm not sure. The new forums originally had 40x40 avatars and when I made the change to 160x160 as requested, I did so by changing the Vanilla config variables directly through the theme: http://pastebin.com/embed_iframe.php?i=fjbPLV9P. While this has always worked like a charm, this time it didn't and I don't know why. I've passed on the issue to the core programmers and they're looking into it - I apologize that I haven't been able to fix this.
    • The dark theme has currently been disabled along with the recent/hot topics discussions as they weren't behaving quite like supposed to. We'll enable them again once we're sure they're not gonna do any weird stuff!
    • What's all this talk about :atk: and stuff? It'd be awesome if you could tell me about this and I'll see what I can do. I might be able to implement a custom parser through the theme; if not, I'll look into creating it as a custom plugin instead.

Custom themes

By the way, I'd love to invite awesome people like @Kyle to help me implement custom themes accesible through the theme switcher. I see that he already created quite a few and it'd be awesome to have these directly implemented in the core theme. Lemme know!

With all the love in the world,
    Kasper Kronborg Isager
    http://webhutt.com
  • PirhPirh Joined: Posts: 3Registered
    What about tapatalk? Any update?
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 1,255Registered
    Guys, I'm really dissapointed with these changes. I can live with my avi looking terrible, but I'm working in the honda section and try to sort out all his combos, and make a list wit hall his character specifics - first you put a character limit, so now I can't edit my previous posts and add new combos, so I had to start again and change everything, adding combos in smaller posts.
    Today I tried to add more combos, but now I found another weird change - when I edit one of my post, I can't use bold, underline, or any other options, and the text looks like egyptian hierogliphs - I simply cannot work with it, it's a nightmare. :(

I really don't understand all these changes. A smart aforysm says "if ain't broke, don't change it". And I thought all these changes are suppose to make things better, but for now they simply make my life harder.
    SSF4 AE v. 2012 - Tier List (v.2013) - http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2879/tierlist2013.png

SSF4 AE v. 2013 - updated Buff List: http://www.freeuploadsite.com/do.php?id=3721
  • LarthyLarthy Kissed by a goddess Joined: Posts: 291Registered
    edited March 2013
    I guess hard-coding it to use profile pictures for avatars instead of thumbnails screws up either the profile page layout or the actual posts, huh? Since the desired avatar size is 160px and profile's is 200px. Or is that actually treatable and less headache-inducing than making the damnable thumbnails work?

Also, what is the profile pic size limit exactly? Says 2 "mb" right now, whatever that is...Mb? MB? Might want to correct and lower that later when things calm down.

Seriously, I don't envy the SRK guys the work they still have ahead of them.

• Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 463Registered
    edited March 2013
    @KasperIsager
    As an interim solution for avatars what about changing the CSS to "width: auto" so they won't be stretched? (They'll just be small.)
    ".Section-Discussion .Author .PhotoWrap img" in custom.css looks to be the right place, at lest for the avatars used in comments. Things are a little different for avatars used in, say, notifications, but you may not want to affect those.
    New Jersey
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT Upgrade Your Grey Matter, One Day It May Matter Joined: Posts: 438Registered
    I've noticed today that some people have large avatars and some are small. Is there a way to choose between the two?
    I had the large blurry avatar when the site changed, and thought that I needed a change to my avatar, so I put up a different image and now all my avatars are small.
    Is there a certain size & resolution to stick to when building one in photoshop?
    (Pardon redundant avatar comments, but I'm of the GI Joe mentality where knowing is half the battle B-) )
    Disciplines: Street Fighting, Demonology, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
  • ValarisValaris keeping watch over SRK Joined: Posts: 11,760Registered, Moderators, Staff Online
    Hiya SRK,

I'm one of fellas coding this "shit" (I write the front end) and I thought I'd reach out to ya'll personally as I'd like to comment on some of the issues we (especially me) are currently facing with the SRK community:
    • Avatars. I know it sucks but I honestly have no idea why they're acting up. I've been trying to locate the problem for way too long now without success but it seems to be related some inner workings of Vanilla; I'm not sure. The new forums originally had 40x40 avatars and when I made the change to 160x160 as requested, I did so by changing the Vanilla config variables directly through the theme: http://pastebin.com/embed_iframe.php?i=fjbPLV9P. While this has always worked like a charm, this time it didn't and I don't know why. I've passed on the issue to the core programmers and they're looking into it - I apologize that I haven't been able to fix this.
    • The dark theme has currently been disabled along with the recent/hot topics discussions as they weren't behaving quite like supposed to. We'll enable them again once we're sure they're not gonna do any weird stuff!
    • What's all this talk about :atk: and stuff? It'd be awesome if you could tell me about this and I'll see what I can do. I might be able to implement a custom parser through the theme; if not, I'll look into creating it as a custom plugin instead.

Custom themes

By the way, I'd love to invite awesome people like @Kyle to help me implement custom themes accesible through the theme switcher. I see that he already created quite a few and it'd be awesome to have these directly implemented in the core theme. Lemme know!

Kasper Kronborg Isager

Quoting this so everyone who just passed it without reading it actually see it.
    I slept with admins so I could get my join date changed. 
  • KasperIsagerKasperIsager Joined: Posts: 3Administrative
    Pirh wrote: »
    What about tapatalk? Any update?

I haven't heard any updates on Tapatalk support yet I'm afraid, but I definitely think it would be a cool addition. The issue currently at hand is that the official Tapatalk plugin for Vanilla didn't pass QA (If I remember correctly, my head is pretty swamped :-/ ).
    Larthy wrote: »
    I guess hard-coding it to use profile pictures for avatars instead of thumbnails screws up either the profile page layout or the actual posts, huh? Since the desired avatar size is 160px and profile's is 200px. Or is that actually treatable and less headache-inducing than making the damnable thumbnails work?

The cool thing about Vanilla is that it's one big environment of community boards all running on the same super optimized codebase and infrastructure. This means that we can't hack the core software without affecting all installations. My guess is that the avatar issue is related to a configuration conflict as setting config vars directly through plugins doesn't have the desired effect (which I've never experienced before) so we'll have to sort this out to get the problem fixed - this is however not something I'll personally be able to do. Stay tuned!
    As an interim solution for avatars what about changing the CSS to "width: auto" so they won't be stretched? (They'll just be small.)
    ".Section-Discussion .Author .PhotoWrap img" in custom.css looks to be the right place, at lest for the avatars used in comments. Things are a little different for avatars used in, say, notifications, but you may not want to affect those.

If the choice is between huge, crappy looking avatars or smaller great looking ones, I know which one I'd choose :) Took your advice and let the avatars adjust themselves for the time being - hopefully the SRK masterminds will approve of this temporary solution until things get sorted out.
    Infil wrote: »
    On the old forum, there were a ton of special emoticons that were related to fighting game controls. There were several for individual buttons, such as heavy punch, and commands such as :qcf: would put a down, down-right, and right arrow in a row, like a quarter-circle forward motion. I don't have a complete list of these, but there were probably 20-30 different emoticon commands.

A lot of strategy pages were written with these codes in mind, and now that the smileys are broken, these pages are just a mess of unreadable code. We would like to have these custom emotes back.

Sweet, thanks for the clarification! I'll see if there's something I can do about this, if not I'll pass it on to the core guys. This definitely needs to be fixed as it sounds like it's a pretty darned big art of SRK. If all else fails, I know for sure that Javascript will get the job done. Any chance someone could compile a list of emoticons and commands? That'd be a huge help!
    I've noticed today that some people have large avatars and some are small. Is there a way to choose between the two?
    I had the large blurry avatar when the site changed, and thought that I needed a change to my avatar, so I put up a different image and now all my avatars are small.
    Is there a certain size & resolution to stick to when building one in photoshop?
    (Pardon redundant avatar comments, but I'm of the GI Joe mentality where knowing is half the battle B-) )

Everybody will be able to get 160x160 avatars once we locate and fix the cause of the avatar issue.

All the best,
    Kasper Kronborg Isager
  • therooktherook ...Why? Joined: Posts: 2,657Registered
    whoever decides to do the emoticons, can I suggest to add a few more for games such as Tekken's button notation numbers 1-5? Much appreciated~
  • d3vd3v Grumpy Infraction Machine Joined: Posts: 18,541Registered, Moderators
    edited March 2013
    For the longest time, SRK has had special smilies that correspond to the attack buttons and directional notations used in these fighting games that we play. They're useful when writing out notes for hot to do special moves and combos

On a related note, why is it that some people have correctly sized avatars now, yet mine is back to the small one?

Also, animated gifs?

EDIT:
    Any chance we can get the ff. config setting added to the config.php
    $Configuration['Garden']['Thumbnail']['SaveGif'] = TRUE;

Post edited by d3v on
    Pinoy2DFighters - The Philippines brings you 3 things: terrorists, trolls and ass beatings in MAHVELL.
    D3Vlicious.com - Fighting game and arcade stick news.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious
    PSN: unityd3v (US), pinakaguwaping (HK)
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,451Registered
    I'm not really a good judge of pixel size but when the avatar size exploded a few days ago, was that 160x160? For some reason it felt like 200x200 to me.... *confused*

Anyway I'll continue to wait patiently while this. As a student majoring in Electrical Engineering who also has to take a few programming classes, I'm aware of how painful it can, so again thank you for all your work.
    *insert generic shiny, glowy, and heavily photoshopped animu sig here*
    https://twitter.com/lchipoo
  • OneFrameLinkOneFrameLink Joined: Posts: 8Registered
    edited March 2013
    If all else fails, I know for sure that Javascript will get the job done.

That would absolutely suck. As someone with experience with MathJax, it's just a huge mess when you try and do this on the client side (not to mention, a shit ton of repeated work across every client that downloads the page and has to render it).
    <a href="http://blog.oneframelink.com/what-is-one-frame-link/" title="CLICK IT! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!">Making the FGC better, THROUGH SCIENCE!</a>
  • delatroydelatroy My Blue Boat Joined: Posts: 40Registered
    Larger thumbnail size on the offchance that it's something that isn't already known.
  • The MartianThe Martian I squee for Squigly. Joined: Posts: 1,418Registered
    I appreciate the feedback!
    Skullgirls| DOA| Alpha 3| SSFIV
    I like Valentine, Mila, and Cammy.
    XBL: The Martian IV
  • ifbpwnstarifbpwnstar Joined: Posts: 498Registered
    Hiya SRK,

Custom themes

Kasper Kronborg Isager

The :atk: stuff was code for image notations. For UMvC3, instead of writing c.LMHS, sjc.MMHS, we would do c.:l::m::h::s:, sjc.:m::m::h::s: and everything surrounded with a " : "s would be replaced by an image icon of the button. This included directions and even a series of inputs like quarter circles being :qcf: == :d::df::f: (down, down forward, forward). Currently a LOT of the combo threads are a disaster since this was removed and look very messy. I think it's widely regarded we need those back or some replacement as visually it really helps the readability of the forums.

I guess talk with an SRK mod or someone in regards to getting a listing of all the notations and the paths to the image icons. I guess this could also be done by adding all the old icons as emoticons if the " :atk: " can't method can't be restored in the same manner as it is now.
    Determined to claim the title of best Captain 'Murica player. Bring it at EVO! O____________O
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    UMvC3 Teams: Cap(ss)/Vergil(rapid)/Doom(missile), Task(H arrow)/Doom(missile)/Vergil(rapid)
    SC5: Astaroth
    SC4: Ivy, Rock
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 9,879Registered
    edited March 2013
    Exand wrote: »
    Terrible design? Are you still on IE6? There's a reason why browsers have tabs... (new window = new tab).Not to mention which do you do more often, click several links one after the other or click one link to open and view?

I browse SRK in 1 tab, and I suspect most people do the same. It's terrible design because the default behavior of clicking the scroll wheel already does what you want, and the context menu provides the same functionality. If you force every link to function this way, there's no easy way to open links in the same window anymore, but 3 different simple ways of doing what you want. It's also contrary to how every other site on the internet works for what thats worth.

tl;dr - Use the fuckin mouse wheel bro. You only have to move your index finger a few cm.
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.