2013 UMVC3 SRK Tier List/Theory Discussion. KBeast plink dash now on tumblr (first post)

Comments

• DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 29,224Registered
    Has anyone of note run zero (dp)/morrigan (meter gain)/strider (vajra)? I know vajra isn't nearly as good for morrigan as missiles but it's still one of her best assists in regards to AV. And with her meter gain assist to support 3 strong hypers, 1 for each character, in sougenmu, AV, and orbs, it seems like that team would be pretty strong. Plus I think strider is a better anchor than doom free. The biggest weakness I see is not having much of a neutral assist for zero or ways to combo off throws into good damage without xf. However I think having the meter for constant clones or dhcs to AV make up for those weaknesses. Thoughts?

Vajra is a neutral assist for Zero (he can OTG pick up off of it although it requires a bit more thinking and buster charge) and Dark Harmonizer is IMO top 5 assist since it basically gives you supers as an assist.  Morrigan/Strider isn't as good as Morr/Missiles or Morri/Jam but it's good enough.  Main thing is the team makes Zero really strong.
    Skullgirls (I PLAY ONLINE): Team 2 Girls and a Goop girl = Painwheel (c.MP Cruel Lily) OR Valentine (Vial Hazard: Type A) / Kassandrasoul (NapalmPillar) / Double (MK Hornet Bomber)
    UMVC3 (I DONT PLAY THIS ONLINE): MAIN Team KBeast/Viper May Squeeze = C.MILF (Falcon Kick) / Erik Magnus Lehnsherr (EM Estaka) / Dane (HAM Session) Team Viper May Missiles = C.MILF (Falcon Kick) / Mr.Dr.Doom (Undercover Missiles) / Dane (HAM Session)
    Side Team = Team 3 Assists = Man of Iron (Spirit Blast) / Mr.Dr.Doom (Undercover Missiles) / Akuma (Kotatsu)
  • UnSaxon51UnSaxon51 Mathemagician Joined: Posts: 530Registered
    edited March 2013
    So what do you guys think are the best team in the game atm?
    Perfect theory team is probably Viper/Magneto/[lockdown assist]. If you get hit you should lose.
    Perfect results team is probably Morrigan/Vergil/Doom. God damn you Chris G.
    Perfect shell team is definitely Magneto/Doom/Dante. Any combination in any order is still an amazing team.
    I hate Spencer so much
    "Haggar is Newton's Laws of Motion, the character." ~ ThatJollyOldBastid

Main Team: Firebrand (A) / Frank West (A) / Super-Skrull (C)
    Secondary Team: Firebrand (B) / Dormammu (C) / Doctor Strange (C)
    In Training: Amaterasu, Dante, Deadpool, Jill, Magneto, Taskmaster
    I will never play Doctor Doom or Spencer.
  • TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear as abel Joined: Posts: 2,356Registered
    whyever did Chris Schmidt drop his Magneto/Zero/anchor (doom?) team? mags/zero seems cheap as hell
    Marvel :: Mags/D.Rider/Drones
  • SteelgutteySteelguttey "KREE KREE KREE" - Firebrand Joined: Posts: 664Registered
    Ok what are your guys (optimized) point tier list?
    XBL: Steelguttey
    UMVC3: Main: Amaterasu (Cold Star), Magneto (Disruptor), Vergil (Rapid Slash)
  • BillBill Joined: Posts: 43Registered
    My God I don't get all the love for Morrigan and especially Doom--I'm looking at that Drew Grimey tier list and I'm amazed at how high they are. I know I'm a low level player--but even ignoring my personal experiences I've watched a lot of these high level matches and I just don't see it. I mean to me Doom is really an A tier who just has S tier assists. But he isn't broken--and that's what I feel you need to be S tier in a game like this--you need to be broken. Doom's actually probably one of the most balanced characters in the game. Good, but not bullshit priority, decent, but not bullshit speed, BIG damage, but awkward not easy to pull off day 1 combos, and good health. He's just very well rounded. But unless you team him up with Ammy and Strider, he just can't impose his will on you whenever he wants. Vergil and Zero can do what the hell they want when they want. I know that he's on a lot of winning teams but outside of Clockwork he's always really just an assist who can TAC into his infinite when needed. Doom himself gets raped by every S tier character except Wesker (although I know some don't consider Wesker S tier) and by a lot of A and mid tier like Hawkeye, Dorm, and even Iron man.

I'm a little more understanding of Morrigan. But without missiles backing her up I just don't see S tier. She does have great normals--which someone pointed out earlier. But they're not saving her from Wolverine, Vergil, and Zero. Astral vision isn't really that great without missiles because you can just jump a lot. She's definitely a great character, but she just can't impose her will on you whenever she wants without Doom missiles. They're like 15 assists that allow Wolverine to stick it up your ass when he pleases. Hell probably all of them for Vergil...
  • ClimhazzardousClimhazzardous I am home Countess! Joined: Posts: 256Registered
    Has anyone of note run zero (dp)/morrigan (meter gain)/strider (vajra)? I know vajra isn't nearly as good for morrigan as missiles but it's still one of her best assists in regards to AV. And with her meter gain assist to support 3 strong hypers, 1 for each character, in sougenmu, AV, and orbs, it seems like that team would be pretty strong. Plus I think strider is a better anchor than doom free. The biggest weakness I see is not having much of a neutral assist for zero or ways to combo off throws into good damage without xf. However I think having the meter for constant clones or dhcs to AV make up for those weaknesses. Thoughts?
    Just play Zero/Morri/Dante if you want a Zero/Morri team without doom, shit is pants on head retarded.
  • SteelgutteySteelguttey "KREE KREE KREE" - Firebrand Joined: Posts: 664Registered
    edited March 2013
    deleted
    Post edited by Steelguttey on
    XBL: Steelguttey
    UMVC3: Main: Amaterasu (Cold Star), Magneto (Disruptor), Vergil (Rapid Slash)
  • Cee DizzyCee Dizzy Bro, do you even dive? Joined: Posts: 3,012Registered

VASaga said:
    I was gonna say WTF is up with you putting Strange Top 3, but then I realized who you were.

1. I feel like Nova is better than Firebrand, if not the same level. Nova has an answer for everything. He can play the vertical game and the horizontal game, has high priority buttons, good ground movement and some of his stuff you can confirm off of for a year and a half. Firebrand has some good and cheap stuff, and I always will love the character, but Nova is so much of a solid character that he should at least be up there with Firebrand, you know?

2. I feel like if Spiderman is up there, then I think that Spencer should be up there also. Spencer has to be one of the best point characters in the game. His pressure can be too much for some characters and players to handle. Not only that, he can almost turn any hit into a touch of death or a reset situation that kill somebody. Spiderman's movement is unparrallel, but Spencer's movement is up there too. Of course, this might be me being biased, because I think Spencer is a great character (every single one of my list I put him Top 5, if not around that area), so there probably gonna be debate about it, but I think that Spencer is better than Spiderman.

3. Storm should not be in the same level as Wolverine. Wolverine is the best character in the game when it comes to the start of the round, he can end it all with an option select dive kick, an instant overhead or just going low. Storm doesn't have the raw power and the ability to take over the match like Wolverine does.

4. I think Strange and Doom need to switch spots. Doom is the best support character and *gasp* a godlike point character. He should be in that Top 3. Strange has good tools but very bad at movement, which is what this game favors the most.

Other than, I honestly don't have gripes with this tier list. Its a shame that Wesker went from Top 10 to mid tier in a year. Smh. Just when I was starting to like him too.

Ah well, to Nova I go.

Also gonna toy with Firebrand/Doom/Vergil tonight for that cheap FB stuff.
  • The DukeThe Duke Watch ya feet and dome. And don't get scooped! Joined: Posts: 10,995Registered
    TMNTemps said:
    whyever did Chris Schmidt drop his Magneto/Zero/anchor (doom?) team? mags/zero seems cheap as hell
    Because FGTV gave him that Vergil dick so he assumed the problem was his team.
  • ViewtifulStyleViewtifulStyle Henshin a go go, baby! Joined: Posts: 15Registered
    edited March 2013
    my completely wrong Tier List.  Feel free to comment on how wrong I am.

Online Ver
    Devil May Cry's a rockin', baby.
    UMvC3: Viewtiful Joe/Dante/Vergil
    Alt UMvC3: Storm/Firebrand/Taskmaster (WIP)
    Blazblue: Ragna, Noel, Makoto
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 29,224Registered
    edited March 2013
    Chrisis said:
    Not talking about any specific tier list, but why are people not rating Morrigan top 3 in a lot of these lists? I understand that characters like Viper require a little bit more understanding to figure out why they're busted, but Morrigan seems like it should be obvious by this point if you look at her tools how good she is...

I would think mainly because if you're talking about more what works practically and quickly for tournament, having that character that does a lot of damage when they hit you or does a lot of damage when you DHC/THC/raw tag into them seems more important for people.  That's why some people rate Spencer very highly because even if his neutral isn't perfect when he hits you he can get you out of there with only one or no meter.

Viper and Morrigan are characters that center more around being able to stop you from hitting them (while still being able to hit you).
    Skullgirls (I PLAY ONLINE): Team 2 Girls and a Goop girl = Painwheel (c.MP Cruel Lily) OR Valentine (Vial Hazard: Type A) / Kassandrasoul (NapalmPillar) / Double (MK Hornet Bomber)
    UMVC3 (I DONT PLAY THIS ONLINE): MAIN Team KBeast/Viper May Squeeze = C.MILF (Falcon Kick) / Erik Magnus Lehnsherr (EM Estaka) / Dane (HAM Session) Team Viper May Missiles = C.MILF (Falcon Kick) / Mr.Dr.Doom (Undercover Missiles) / Dane (HAM Session)
    Side Team = Team 3 Assists = Man of Iron (Spirit Blast) / Mr.Dr.Doom (Undercover Missiles) / Akuma (Kotatsu)
  • DarkstalkerDarkstalker King of the Ring Joined: Posts: 1,601Registered
    Chrisis said:
    Not talking about any specific tier list, but why are people not rating Morrigan top 3 in a lot of these lists? I understand that characters like Viper require a little bit more understanding to figure out why they're busted, but Morrigan seems like it should be obvious by this point if you look at her tools how good she is...
    Personally, it's because Zero, Vergil, Viper are in the game. :P

She's crazy good though, and now in my top tier at least.
    "Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?" - Gregory House
  • ViewtifulStyleViewtifulStyle Henshin a go go, baby! Joined: Posts: 15Registered

Chrisis said:
    Personally, it's because Zero, Vergil, Viper are in the game. :P

She's crazy good though, and now in my top tier at least.
    Basically this.  I devalue her a bit more because I feel other people have better tools.  However, she doesn't have level 3 buster, being able to cancel anything into anything, or spiral swords.  So I don't feel she's up there.
  • VASagaVASaga Its Good To Be Ass Joined: Posts: 447Registered
    Chrisis said:

Cause her tools only really work with Dr Doom and Missiles. 
    She's no different than Strider/Doom was in MVC2. 

"I must have ascended to a higher plane of thinking than most because I play Dr Strange"
  • RoboticRobotic Joined: Posts: 1,844Registered
    Morrigan shuts down every character though. Like, every piece of tech people find is to make the match less than horrible. We still haven't found anything that makes the matchups good.
  • VASagaVASaga Its Good To Be Ass Joined: Posts: 447Registered
    No Morrigan doesnt shutdown every character. People just arent picking characters and teams that over rule Morrigan and Doom 

C.Viper/Dante 
    Dormammu/Strange etc 
    "I must have ascended to a higher plane of thinking than most because I play Dr Strange"
    Chrisis said:
    IMO Zero with any assist against Morrigan/Jam Session is at least 6-4 Morrigan's favor.

I don't think Zero is anywhere near as good as she is.
    Maybe not against her, but against everyone else? Zero's got a 50/50 chance of killing your team with Jam Session.  I'd say that secures his spot as best character.
  • serpentaurusserpentaurus just watching Joined: Posts: 1,718Registered
    People that dont rate Morrigan as top 3 or top 5 usually have a lot of BS in their tier lists, the guy with Modok and Thor in the bottom 8 that recently posted a tier list here just won the prize to most uninformed tier list.

they also dont know WTF the most of the characters can do but still try to rate them, and rate characters like Viper (very complex and hard to understand) and Zero in the high part to look good even if they dont know 5% of what they can do. Same thing happens with Dormammu, at least go to training mode 5 minutes with every character then try to rate them lol
    umvc3: Thor / Dr.Strange / Ammy - Thor / Dorm / Doom - Thor / Coon / Vergil - ssf4: Vega - Persona Arena: Kanji Tatsumi
  • UnSaxon51UnSaxon51 Mathemagician Joined: Posts: 530Registered
    edited March 2013
    In her ideal circumstances and with perfect execution, I'm slowly being convinced that Morrigan is one of the most terrifying forces in the game (beaten primarily by Perfect Theory Viper).
    However, for me it comes down to the fact that I'm more afraid of Zero (and Vergil and Magneto) in more situations than I am of Morrigan and Viper. I concede that both ladies are top tier, but I feel that the other guys have a wider variety of opportunities to open me up and make me stop playing.
    I hate Spencer so much
    "Haggar is Newton's Laws of Motion, the character." ~ ThatJollyOldBastid

Main Team: Firebrand (A) / Frank West (A) / Super-Skrull (C)
    Secondary Team: Firebrand (B) / Dormammu (C) / Doctor Strange (C)
    In Training: Amaterasu, Dante, Deadpool, Jill, Magneto, Taskmaster
    I will never play Doctor Doom or Spencer.
  • Grape_ismGrape_ism Joined: Posts: 3Registered
    Chrisis said:
    IMO Zero with any assist against Morrigan/Jam Session is at least 6-4 Morrigan's favor.
    I don't think Zero is anywhere near as good as she is.
    Just run Zero/Morrigan/Dante! Problem solved.
    People that dont rate Morrigan as top 3 or top 5 usually have a lot of BS in their tier lists, the guy with Modok and Thor in the bottom 8 that recently posted a tier list here just won the prize to most uninformed tier list.

they also dont know WTF the most of the characters can do but still try to rate them, and rate characters like Viper (very complex and hard to understand) and Zero in the high part to look good even if they dont know 5% of what they can do. Same thing happens with Dormammu, at least go to training mode 5 minutes with every character then try to rate them lol
    Thor lacks any real decent form of mobility that I found.  He's slow, can't really dash, and doesn't even have that many good zoning tools.  He's alright, but I can't see him being that great against most top level characters.

Also, I'll never understand the hype about Morrigan.  I'm scared of fighting her, but not as much as the top 3.  Especially Zero.  Zero can TOD you off anything, and is always safe.
  • p0tat0 5aladp0tat0 5alad I like orange. Joined: Posts: 277Registered
    If Chris Redfield had a grounded overhead and a command grab, he would be just outside top 10. A less mobile Spencer.
    UMvC3 - Spencer/Skrull/Chris/Frank/Task/Akuma/Doom
    SFxT - Abel/King
    TTT2 - Lei/King
    AE - Abel
  • serpentaurusserpentaurus just watching Joined: Posts: 1,718Registered
    edited March 2013
    Do i need to make a video showing how fast Thor can be so that people stop spreading their uninformed opinions about his mobility options? he is not magneto but come on >_> people are starting to get annoying with that
    umvc3: Thor / Dr.Strange / Ammy - Thor / Dorm / Doom - Thor / Coon / Vergil - ssf4: Vega - Persona Arena: Kanji Tatsumi
    Do i need to make a video showing how fast Thor can be so that people stop spreading their uninformed opinions about his mobility options? he is not magneto but come on >_>
    Do it.  I'm always up for learning.  I've never seen Thor be fast ever, and couldn't find anyway to make him move faster than a slow crawl across the screen.
    edited March 2013
    Do i need to make a video showing how fast Thor can be so that people stop spreading their uninformed opinions about his mobility options? he is not magneto but come on >_> people are starting to get annoying with that
    I'd love to see this actually.  He can move in different directions...just not that fast.  I know that much.  His ground dash is also garbage and it's arguable whether his air game in general is strong enough to make up.
  • ironboy89ironboy89 Beep Boop Beep Joined: Posts: 4,317Registered
    Do i need to make a video showing how fast Thor can be so that people stop spreading their uninformed opinions about his mobility options? he is not magneto but come on >_>
    yes, you do.  Most people don't know how to play Thor....

i don't know why MODOK is in a tier lower than Arthur, Iron Man,Shuma, Nemsesis. 
    edited March 2013
    Being mobile and being fast are two different things. Thor is one and not the other.

Basically.  Iron Man is pretty much the same deal except his forward ground dash is better (whereas Thor has the better backdash) and Thor's plinked flight dashes are slightly better.  Which is still not crazy fast or anything.