MLP: Fighting Is Magic - A Fighting game for manly men only (New characters from MLP creator?!)

19495969798100»

Comments

• SaikyouSaikyou Play Vsavior/Melty! Joined: Posts: 193Registered
    edited March 2013
    depressing to see some comments saying they dont care anynore about the game if it has no ponies, even if they said the game still going to have 4 legged characters...not JUST horses. Also more comments abou modding the game...its so hard to let it go the MLP from the game?
    Vampire Savior: Jedah - Melty Blood: C-Nero
  • YinYin fun fun fun Joined: Posts: 3,396Registered
    Now that you are free, have you considered switching engine (not that FM is bad, but would be cool if you didn't have to hurt your HD sprites) and/or making it a commercial game?
    slay this unaligned ant!
  • lightskintwinlightskintwin Black Militant Racist Joined: Posts: 27Registered
    Jay, is the plan still the same with eventually releasing a beta with 6 of these new characters and then releasing dlc until you reach the originally planned 17 spot roster?
  • Jay WrightJay Wright Fighting Pony Person Joined: Posts: 75Registered
    Yin said:
    Now that you are free, have you considered switching engine (not that FM is bad, but would be cool if you didn't have to hurt your HD sprites) and/or making it a commercial game?
    How dare you say that FM isn't bad!! Aww nah it's OK. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that it's easily moddable though :/ Let's just say we've considered options in that regard. Making money is now a possibility but those thoughts are not super urgent right now. Sorry that's kinda nonspecific. 

Jay, is the plan still the same with eventually releasing a beta with 6 of these new characters and then releasing dlc until you reach the originally planned 17 spot roster?
    The very minimum will be the 6 initial characters. We were almost done with them mechanically anyway (barring a substantial re-work of a certain someone) and we feel it's not too pitiful in terms of the match-ups it offers. Plus we need to sleep and pay bills some time. We had moveset ideas and character gameplay themes that we were really excited about getting to eventually, but we have to play it by ear for now and see how we go. We really WANT to get all our ideas our there, if that counts? 
  • lightskintwinlightskintwin Black Militant Racist Joined: Posts: 27Registered
    edited March 2013
    Yin said:
    The first problem is none of them are developers, but the biggest problem is even if development wasn't an issue they would literally have to start from scratch using a new engine instead of swapping out the character art with new ones and utilizing the overall fighting mechanics and specific character game design they've honed and polished over 2 years time.   
  • Blacksonic21Blacksonic21 aka HsienKosHelper Joined: Posts: 465Registered
    These guys are really going to have to make something legit, now that they don't have the draw of it being ponies whooping the shit out of each other to fall back on. Anyway I wonder what type of animal they will use, people seem to want Alpaca's, which I didn't even know existed until ten minutes ago. My personal vote is for small elephants.
    XBLGT: HsienKosHelper
    SSF4AE: Makoto/Honda
    UMVC3: Hulk/Hsien-ko/Sentinel - X-23/Wesker/Taskmaster - Felicia/Doom/Taskmaster
  • mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Joined: Posts: 27Registered
    Faith in humanity restored,  Lauren Faust joins the Mane6 Team. http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/m6v2.html
    Proving that Lauren is the BOSS.
    LOL Hasbro.
  • ErkicmanErkicman Joined: Posts: 130Registered
    edited March 2013
    Yin said:
    With all this talk with the Skullgirls crowdfunding campaign about how expensive it is to make fighting game characters ($150,000 is considered fantastically inexpensive) and fighting games in general, I was actually wondering if fans would be able to compensate you guys for your work now that you guys are getting original IP. (Crossing fingers for donations.)

Congratulations for being able to continue.
  • SonOfTheNortheSonOfTheNorthe Joined: Posts: 34Registered
    Now that Fighting is Magic has been shut down, could you tell us who the 11 DLC characters were supposed to be?
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 6,870Registered
    Good to hear you guys are still going strong with this.
    My Blog, please don't read it - PonyAndDrugs.blogspot.com
  • xblueblastxxxblueblastxx Joined: Posts: 196Registered
     Awesome! I'm actually really happy to see this game turn into something original. I like MLP but I think it's better that were seeing completely new characters.
  • InknailInknail alert the lame police Joined: Posts: 107Registered
    This news just made my Saturday! So happy to see things are continuing. Incredibly inspirational to hear Lauren Faust has officially joined the team. Can't wait to hear what the new characters are going to be like (can't help but wonder if this tweet had anything to do with it).

My big question though is how will this affect the VA department for you guys? Are the same VAs on board and working on new lines/voices or will any recasting calls be needed?
  • Fox PocketFox Pocket Barack Arcana Joined: Posts: 151Registered
    Can I give you my money now?
    U.Marvel 3: Spencer/ Wright/ Doom
    Blazblue: Platinum
    Guilty Gear: Burijitto
  • Jay WrightJay Wright Fighting Pony Person Joined: Posts: 75Registered
    Inknail said:
    This news just made my Saturday! So happy to see things are continuing. Incredibly inspirational to hear Lauren Faust has officially joined the team. Can't wait to hear what the new characters are going to be like (can't help but wonder if this tweet had anything to do with it).

My big question though is how will this affect the VA department for you guys? Are the same VAs on board and working on new lines/voices or will any recasting calls be needed?
    We dunno as yet! I mean with new characters comes new voices, and we don't want to just do generic anime voices or direct pony ripoffs (obviously). We LOVED working with the VAs and lots of them have shown interest in helping us out yet again, so that's an awesome start. We are going to need to see how the characters come out and figure out to invent a voice for them. All new for us. 

Erkicman said:
    Yin said:
    With all this talk with the Skullgirls crowdfunding campaign about how expensive it is to make fighting game characters ($150,000 is considered fantastically inexpensive) and fighting games in general, I was actually wondering if fans would be able to compensate you guys for your work now that you guys are getting original IP. (Crossing fingers for donations.)

Congratulations for being able to continue.
    Yeah money is now a possibility, but as mentioned, we aren't really sure how or if that's gonna work yet. We want to keep the game free still, but as you say, it costs a lot to do this (in terms of money we COULD be making). Not sure yet. There are lots of 'not sure yet's. 
  • GemakaiGemakai HadouKen what Others HadouKan't Joined: Posts: 672Registered
    edited March 2013
    Happy to hear they have Lauren Faust on the team to make original characters. I figure there are going to be those that mainly only like the pony aspect and admittedly, yea, that's a big lame on their part, but I'm curious to see what designs Lauren would come up with and if they're going to be quadra-pedic or if they're going to be more humanoid. We'll just have to wait and see.
    BBCS:EX: Hakumen, Mu-12, Noel | SSF4 AE: Vega, Cammy, Makoto | UMvC3: Felicia/Doom/Strider
    SFxT: Law, Julia, Elena, Paul, Dudley, Vega, Asuka. Currently Learning: Chun,Bryan | P4A: Naoto, Akihiko, Aigis
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 91Registered
    Well, thank you for what you produced and the many hours of enjoyment I have had, and intend to maintain, on the trotspot network.  Best of luck with your new endeavours; enough so that what you create with Lauren will merit the same affection I had for Fighting is Magic.  Equally, I hope you chaps will maintain a rapport with the likes of MikeZ, and be aware that peoples such as James Chen is always interested in discussing potential (terrible) mechanics and mechanisms previously used.

Now tell us the extra planned sodding ponies that were going to be made >=[
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr Team BdP founding member Joined: Posts: 989Registered
    Not going to lie, the thought a Mane6 game without ponies is significantly less appealing than one of a Mane6 game with ponies.
    I can't fucking figure out anime, 3D either, but that's another story altogether, and generally don't play games that fall under that subgenre of fighters.

I would've played FiM, largely because its a pony fighting game over its actual merits as a competitive fighter, not that I'm knocking Mane6's ability to produce a good game, but the game they were making isn't one I personally would've played without the MLP tie in.
    That said, I've been in Mane6's corner since the project was announced, and I'll at least give them the courtesy of giving the new game a shot. Fortunately for me, the other fighting game bronies in my area don't share my sentiments about anime, so I'll certainly have plenty in terms of competition once the game finally drops.
  • KoiyukiKoiyuki Observant Wanderer Joined: Posts: 61Registered
    If I may make a recommendation, why not set up a way for fans to directly support the project, like a Paypal, Bitcoin thinger, or other methods of sending cash and goods to the people on the project? When the characters are fully developed, perhaps you could also develop merchandise on places like Zazzle, Big Cartel, and elsewhere? As someone who's observed the wild support Skullgirls got with their modest fanbase, I know that your fans would be more than willing to put their money where their mouth is, especially with a name of Lauren Faust on board helping you develop the project
  • UFOrangeUFOrange Joined: Posts: 7Registered
    Does anyone know where else I can watch the timelapse videos for the character splash art? They took it down from Youtube already :(