Beginner match analysis / gameplay critique thread

12346»

Comments

• CFotoCFoto Joined: Posts: 22Registered
    Hello SRKs, I took a break and found a character that I intend to main. Here are some videos that I need help on.

These are from few hours of endless with me as Cody.

Self-review: 
    1)I still jump too much.
    2)Low jab hit-confirm.
    3)Fundmentals

I raised a few questions during my game, sorry if they are too Cody specific, I am intending to post this on Cody page too :
    i) In these games I felt that I am not making something to happen, but more like waiting his move, and counter it. I understand it is a valid strategy, but what if I want to turn the table? making him to try react to my offence/defence?
    ii) Everytime a tatsu was blocked, he mix me up with low jab, dp, or throw. Does a punish window exist for Cody at all?
    iii) What do I poke with?? cr. lk seem like just a tiny bit shorter than Ryu's cr. mk.
    iv) What are the application of frame traps in a matches like these? I kept getting mashed out by crouching jab/dp.
    v) Focus attack me on wakeup or in corner, what can I do? 
    vi) I couldn't locate a safejump option for 3f reversals, I knew he dp whenever he see a jump-in, everytime I do a knockdown I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

• density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 703Registered, Premium
    edited March 2013

I raised a few questions during my game, sorry if they are too Cody specific, I am intending to post this on Cody page too :
    i) In these games I felt that I am not making something to happen, but more like waiting his move, and counter it. I understand it is a valid strategy, but what if I want to turn the table? making him to try react to my offence/defence? You should be putting out more normals. Like in one of the Ryu games, you both were standing completely neutral right next to eachother, I was expecting some f+MP's and f+HK's to apply some pressure. I love those normals on Cody, and you're +1 with both of them even on block.
    ii) Everytime a tatsu was blocked, he mix me up with low jab, dp, or throw. Does a punish window exist for Cody at all? Ryu is -2 after a blocked tatsu, so you should be able to always do something like cr.LK xx HP Tornado or a throw before he can. Personally I would play it safe and backdash.
    iii) What do I poke with?? cr. lk seem like just a tiny bit shorter than Ryu's cr. mk. cr.LK, f+MP, f+HK (goes over cr.MK), st.MK, cr.MK (max range or whiff punish to go under high pokes), Bad Stone
    iv) What are the application of frame traps in a matches like these? I kept getting mashed out by crouching jab/dp. With frame traps, if they are DPing you simply have to block. The counter to frame traps is doing a DP. But you shouldn't be getting jabbed out of them, that means your frame trap isn't tight enough/not timed correctly. Make sure your frame trap has a max of a 2f gap. Remember that frame traps exist to stop your opponent from trying to tech a throw. You may just have to throw him over and over and over if he isn't teching.
    v) Focus attack me on wakeup or in corner, what can I do? If it's not on wakeup you can jump out, or react with a cr.LK xx MK Ruffian. If it is on wakeup, any reversal move gets armor break properties, so do any reversal. 
    vi) I couldn't locate a safejump option for 3f reversals, I knew he dp whenever he see a jump-in, everytime I do a knockdown I don't know what to do. With the exception of a few situations, you can't "safejump" 3f reversals. Every air normal has at least 4f of ground recovery where you cannot block, making it impossible to safejump. What you can do as Cody though, is off of either throw (forward or back), hold up forward. If you do a j.HK it's a 4f and higher safejump, if you don't press any button then you will be able to block as soon as he can DP (not a safejump, just a well timed empty jump). Just make sure you don't do an air normal.

If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
  • Fore God ViiFore God Vii Level 2 Member Joined: Posts: 457Registered
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SLrBhSueAUM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    XBL: CaptainxClas A.K.A ITSHiCLASYO, Fore God VII
    PSN: ItsHiClasYo Youtube: www.youtube.com/CapTnClas
    PK Salt