How do you pick a game/character to play most?

2»

Comments

• pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 9,879Registered
    I can see that you main Abel, so i'm not surprised. But yeah my description sounds a little like a shoto whore already. Lol

sounds like you wanna play a shoto but you are caught up in some stupid anti shoto mindset
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,172Registered
    I'm going to put my other answer in a seperate post.
    This is related to character choice. Pick what suits you.

Characters in fighters
    Zoners- these are the guys that rely on fireballs/ projectiles on screen to force the opponent. Sagat and Guile are pure zoning characters. mostly a 2d fighting archetype.

Mixup/Rushdown- these guys arguably had their start with St vega. Generally they want to knock you down and put you in lose-only sorta win situations. these include characters like fuerte and seth/viper in sf4. everyone likes to mix up in vf in their own way, some more than others. In anime games most characters want to mix up/rushdown unless they primarily a zoner. A prime example of this duality exists in the current meta of UMVC3.

Fundamental do it-alls- Hi, Ryu. These characters may belong to more than one archetype and generally are designed to handle multiple situations. Ryu is a primary (and perhaps the very first) example of this. In Tekken, you have the Mishimas and in Vf you have the always top tier Akira and the sometimes top tier Kage.

Grapplers- These are kind of a subset/pregenitor of mixup characters. They focus mainly on grabbing but have a hard time getting in. Once they are in they are capable of ridiculous setups and grab mixups for insanely high damage. The archetypal grappler that pretty much all the others are at least slightly based on is Zangief. In VF you have Goh, Jeffrey, and Wolf. In Kof there are the Ikari Warriors, Shermie, Vice, and Goro. In Tekken you have the Kings.

Fusion/Variation- A combination of multiple types that may make a new type all together. Seth is a good example of this although he leans towards rushdown setups. There are a lot of mix and match type characters. Some of the do-it-alls could fall under here. Kof games really like to mix-and-match. Mature for instance is both a zoning character with a huge fireball and a rushdown character with rekka-ken like slashes. There are also variations on existing types, such as ken/akuma/gouken/sakura/oni, which are variations on Ryu's character. There are a lot of these in SF and fighters in general.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Just one more sip Joined: Posts: 595Registered
  • YorKeYYorKeY BR Vision Joined: Posts: 275Registered
    sounds like you wanna play a shoto but you are caught up in some stupid anti shoto mindset
    sound's like that? F*** the people with the anti shoto mindset, along with the anti capcom kids. Naw man i play whoever i want, a few hate messages arent going to stop me! =D Naw it's just cause Shoto's seem to plain.
    Dude every time i see you post, i feel like watching Kuroda 3rd Strike videos o_O
    Arcade Edition UMvC3
    KoFXIII Melee
    XbL/PSN/Youtube- iYorKeY
    Messenger/[email]Email- JTDYorKeY@yahoo.com[/email]
  • PapinguimPapinguim Searching for a character... Joined: Posts: 219Registered
    I'm going to put my other answer in a seperate post.
    This is related to character choice. Pick what suits you.

Characters in fighters
    Zoners- these are the guys that rely on fireballs/ projectiles on screen to force the opponent. Sagat and Guile are pure zoning characters. mostly a 2d fighting archetype.

Mixup/Rushdown- these guys arguably had their start with St vega. Generally they want to knock you down and put you in lose-only sorta win situations. these include characters like fuerte and seth/viper in sf4. everyone likes to mix up in vf in their own way, some more than others. In anime games most characters want to mix up/rushdown unless they primarily a zoner. A prime example of this duality exists in the current meta of UMVC3.

Fundamental do it-alls- Hi, Ryu. These characters may belong to more than one archetype and generally are designed to handle multiple situations. Ryu is a primary (and perhaps the very first) example of this. In Tekken, you have the Mishimas and in Vf you have the always top tier Akira and the sometimes top tier Kage.

Grapplers- These are kind of a subset/pregenitor of mixup characters. They focus mainly on grabbing but have a hard time getting in. Once they are in they are capable of ridiculous setups and grab mixups for insanely high damage. The archetypal grappler that pretty much all the others are at least slightly based on is Zangief. In VF you have Goh, Jeffrey, and Wolf. In Kof there are the Ikari Warriors, Shermie, Vice, and Goro. In Tekken you have the Kings.

Fusion/Variation- A combination of multiple types that may make a new type all together. Seth is a good example of this although he leans towards rushdown setups. There are a lot of mix and match type characters. Some of the do-it-alls could fall under here. Kof games really like to mix-and-match. Mature for instance is both a zoning character with a huge fireball and a rushdown character with rekka-ken like slashes. There are also variations on existing types, such as ken/akuma/gouken/sakura/oni, which are variations on Ryu's character. There are a lot of these in SF and fighters in general.
    I don't like grapplers. In fact, they give me the most trouble to fight against in AE.
    SSFIVAE- Yang
    SFxT- Ogre, Kazuya, Marduk
    Third Strike- ?
    SSB Melee- Ness, Marth (Pretty much everyone in the game)
    PSN: onebri97 Steam: Papinguim
  • huckles98huckles98 Joined: Posts: 666Registered
    Play as one (a grappler) for a week so you learn to exploit their weaknesses. You're going at this one dimensionally. It's not an Mmo. You don't have to pick one character and one game and expect to "level up" with him/her. Play around with them all. Don't start out trying to learn top tech shit either (not saying you are). I did what you are doing now when I started and I got fed up and quit. Now I play once a week, grab a character and roll with it. Guess what, I still win. I'm not pro, or even good, but I still get wins and have fun rolling out gouki then Vega then Makoto then jumping games for a bit to mix it up.
    Oh, anyone who's online, I'm replacing buttons in a Brawlstick and my hands keep slipping so I can't remove the connectors. Any help?
    SSFIVAE- Yang
    Third Strike- ?
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 4,195Registered
    Oh, anyone who's online, I'm replacing buttons in a Brawlstick and my hands keep slipping so I can't remove the connectors. Any help?

Wrong thread to post. Use needle nose pliers, or cover your fingers with a rag.
    Woops, yeah wrong forum. I used a screwdriver, worked really well. All seimitsu now (except for R2 and L2). But anyways, I got Third Strike. It is... amazing! I like it better than AE so far. The speed and mechanics and stuff feel... right. And Ryu has that awesome wall bounce kick thing from MvC3 and SFxT. But anyone who has played Third Strike a lot, can you give me a brief description of the characters (who's a grappler, who's rushdown, etc).
    SSFIVAE- Yang
    Third Strike- ?
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 4,195Registered
    Woops, yeah wrong forum. I used a screwdriver, worked really well. All seimitsu now (except for R2 and L2). But anyways, I got Third Strike. It is... amazing! I like it better than AE so far. The speed and mechanics and stuff feel... right. And Ryu has that awesome wall bounce kick thing from MvC3 and SFxT. But anyone who has played Third Strike a lot, can you give me a brief description of the characters (who's a grappler, who's rushdown, etc).

You should probably head to the 3s forums and poke around in there, or watch youtube tutorials for more in-depth information on that game.
    So someone has seen the light?
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 303Registered
    Woops, yeah wrong forum. I used a screwdriver, worked really well. All seimitsu now (except for R2 and L2). But anyways, I got Third Strike. It is... amazing! I like it better than AE so far. The speed and mechanics and stuff feel... right. And Ryu has that awesome wall bounce kick thing that they gave back to him in MvC3 and SFxT. But anyone who has played Third Strike a lot, can you give me a brief description of the characters (who's a grappler, who's rushdown, etc).

Corrected.
    KOF XIII: Kyo/Kula/Mai, Robert/Kula/Kim
  • CapoeiraMataUmCapoeiraMataUm Forca Rara Joined: Posts: 88Registered
    Hi, I've been trying lately to get better at fighting games. I have no idea which game to pick, character to choose, nothing. I have a fightstick, etc. but I just have no idea what to do. How did you guys pick which game to main? How did you pick which character to play?

2D Games, 3D Games, doesn't matter.

If I like a character's style I use them. If a game has someone who does capoeira I'll use them. I'm also a big fan of long range poke type characters so I find a character with normals I like and then pick them.
    In a team based game like Marvel it's a bit more complicated but... I love X-23 and Dr. Doom. Like I said above, I love poke type characters so I picked Hawkeye. It's that simple really
  • DramatixDramatix Bullshit at your convenience. Joined: Posts: 2,013Registered
    I simply go by appearances, mainly possessing grace and elegance. If not that, then they'll most likely look badass.

Tekken - The Williams Sisters
    Soul Calibur - Setsuka, Hilde
    SSBB - Peach, Samus
    DOA - Helena, Lei-Fang
    P4A - Mitsuru, Chie, Yukiko
    SF - Rose
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    Corrected.
    That's what I meant.
    SSFIVAE- Yang
    Third Strike- ?
    So someone has seen the light?
    Yep. Third Strike is awesome
    SSFIVAE- Yang
    Third Strike- ?
    Yep, well I've tried the whole cast of both AE and Third Strike and I've found a couple characters I like. In AE, like I said before, I love Yang. The other ones that I found that I like is kind of tied between Evil Ryu and Akuma. I like Evil Ryu's Axe Kick and the fact that he has more health but I also like the fact that Akuma has two Raging Demons and his Zanku Hadokens but I don't like his low health. So, I'm deciding between those two. In 3S, I don't like Yun, Yang, Chun, or Ken. So far, I'm having trouble deciding who I like better but so far Ryu, Akuma, Oro, and Urien is ok too. Any suggestions?
    SSFIVAE- Yang
    Third Strike- ?
    Just keep playing, don't try to force it.

Play the game not the character.
    Well, after playing more AE and 3S, I've found some characters I like. Evil Ryu was kinda... meh so I dropped him. But, as of now, my favorites in AE are Yang, Ibuki, and Juri. I'm still trying to grasp 3S, so I'm using Ryu and Yang to learn. Yang feels kinda different in 3S though. But before I pick a character, I need to learn all of the stuff in 3S (I can barely parry). But yes, I'm learning.
    SSFIVAE- Yang
    Third Strike- ?
    Keep playing different people. Try different things. If you play as character for a while you learn generally what their gameplan is, this is better than just playing against that character. Are you playing on X360 or PS3 or GGPO?
    PS3.
    SSFIVAE- Yang
    Third Strike- ?
    My stick is 360/Pc only so I can't play matches with you. Practice your execution but I wouldn't advise spending endless hours in the training room. You need experience with real players to learn hit confirm and mixup. 3S is arguably the most mixup oriented game due to parry mechanic so you need to adapt quickly when you start getting stuffed. Learn some bnb combos that you can pull off without fail then learn how to hit confirm into them or set them up (twins have good setups with pressure/overhead and dive kicks).
  • bkfst_sausagebkfst_sausage ST / SRK2k3 OG Joined: Posts: 2,802Registered
    Games with a character I can be annoying with.
    Blanka in Super Turbo. Venom in Guilty Gear.
    PSN: M1X4H < click it!
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 703Registered, Premium
    I find the least new-player friendly character in the game and play that.

Because if they didn't want me playing Invoker, they wouldn't have made him look so cool.
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 365Registered

Characters with feints/fake moves, I love playing the mind games.
  • doubleohdoubleoh Joined: Posts: 256Registered
    I usually play characters that have higher execution standards and interesting mechanics. I picked Abel because his roll mechanic seemed interesting and his combos are hard(er) but sexy.
    SSFIVAE: Abel
  • aegis&brothersaegis&brothers The Dark Knight Sparda Joined: Posts: 29Registered
    I use characters whose looks and moves I like to see and use. Like Rock, Yang, Urien, Ken, Adon, Vergil.
    3S: Yang, Urien, Ken
    AE: Cody, Adon
    Cvs2: Rock,Yamazaki,Geese
    UMVC3: Vergil, Wesker, Hawkeye
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • NickRocksNickRocks Almost Godlike Joined: Posts: 9,988Registered, Premium
    MvC2 was already my favorite fighting game of all time before I knew anything about how it was supposed to be played

the characters came with my personality. maximum damage for minimal effort. cable/sent/cap all day ERRYFUGGINDAY >:(
    gun: bang bang bang bang
    throw the arrow up forward
    HYPER VIPER BEAM