The Ken Thread - Ask Here - Discussion - Strats

123457»

Comments

• ryan.ryan. Joined: Posts: 1,074Registered
    Yea, I usually don't do cr lkx2 to super because I can't hit confirm it, other things like cr mp super or like f st mp to super I can't hit confirm either. I don't react fast enough, way too scared to try it. And I tried to punish those blocked supers with jinrai but it didn't come out.
    The second part is pretty much the problem I keep complaining about with 3rd strike. Pretty much every anti air attempt I tried was parried. So I'm not sure how to keep him grounded without that.

no offense man, but saying you dont do short short super or cr mp super because youre too scared is mad soft.

thats like saying "when i shoot a basketball I shoot it granny style because im too scared to do a jump shot."

you can do it.
  • AmigoOneAmigoOne Joined: Posts: 1,029Registered
    Well, I'm working on it. But I see it kinda along the whole "when a new person tries to play 3rd strike, he tries to parry everything instead of being safe and blocking". I'm still consider myself beginner at the game, so I'm going to work on the easier stuff. I still can't get the easier ones out 100%. I try it sometimes, but when I think I'm going into a tough fight, I usually don't try the things I don't have down yet.

I've tried st lp, :( it gets parried as well or stuffed by their jump in. Never tried st lp to srk though. Also when I try to meet someone air to air, it usually ends the same. Parried. I haven't been using EX tatsu either. So I'll try that.

On the catching the opponent as his lands, there's a Alex player that I run into online, and he consistently foot stomps me whenever I try to catch his jump or cr hp with a low, are foot stomps invincible in the first few frames? Also does cr hp for alex actually have recovery frames on the ground?
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 9,879Registered
    On the catching the opponent as his lands, there's a Alex player that I run into online, and he consistently foot stomps me whenever I try to catch his jump or cr hp with a low, are foot stomps invincible in the first few frames? Also does cr hp for alex actually have recovery frames on the ground?

this is the kind of stuff ESN's framedata site is for. It's been linked a few times in general 3s discussion.
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • BroryukenBroryuken 幻影陣 Joined: Posts: 466Registered
    Well, I'm working on it. But I see it kinda along the whole "when a new person tries to play 3rd strike, he tries to parry everything instead of being safe and blocking". I'm still consider myself beginner at the game, so I'm going to work on the easier stuff. I still can't get the easier ones out 100%. I try it sometimes, but when I think I'm going into a tough fight, I usually don't try the things I don't have down yet.

I've tried st lp, :( it gets parried as well or stuffed by their jump in. Never tried st lp to srk though. Also when I try to meet someone air to air, it usually ends the same. Parried. I haven't been using EX tatsu either. So I'll try that.

Hit that training mode on random block and practice those hit confirms.. it goes a long way.. I promise! Having those tools in your arsenal make Ken that much more GODLIKE
  • BullDancerBullDancer I'm Gettin Money Nigga Joined: Posts: 5,367Registered
    Yea, I usually don't do cr lkx2 to super because I can't hit confirm it, other things like cr mp super or like f st mp to super I can't hit confirm either. I don't react fast enough, way too scared to try it. And I tried to punish those blocked supers with jinrai but it didn't come out.
    The second part is pretty much the problem I keep complaining about with 3rd strike. Pretty much every anti air attempt I tried was parried. So I'm not sure how to keep him grounded without that.

Crouching move to super isn't that hard......

If you see your opponent crouching after the initial hit then don't go for it, if he's standing after the initial crouching hit complete the super......

Don't try to confirm if your opponent blocked or not..... that's when stuff gets tough.....

I forget if the cr.lk can be blocked high or not.... but those were always semi-easy to me.....
    I'm guessing she was probably too in shock at what happened to even know what to do. Its not every day you get slapped in the face with a penis.
    - Fishjie
    I'd be a horrible magician because I'll fuck a trick up - EM
    oo, that is actually really good. Haven't thought about that. I was always trying to confirm if the opponent blocked or not. cr lk cant be blocked high.
  • ESNESN お前はもう死んでいる Joined: Posts: 1,245Registered
    IMO, if you can't confirm cr.mp or cr.lk x2 (easier), you can't either "confirm" correctly if opp is standing or not.
    Train gradually:
    - target
    - cr.lk cr lp cr.lk
    - cr lk x2
    - stand mp then (both are link though, slightly different approach)
    - (in 5 years) cr mk :d

At first, i wasn't able to do any of those things.
  • Karas13Karas13 Joined: Posts: 275Registered
    For any confirm the idea is to tap the button like a snake, WHIP BLANG... as fast as lightning! This will give you more room for the motion inputs.
    I can't confirm c mp to save my life.. it hasnt become muscle memory for that move yet >.<
    but all the others arent bad for me except.. c mk the hardest thing ever
  • darktowndarktown Darktown2 Joined: Posts: 277Registered
    I can't confirm c mp to save my life.. it hasnt become muscle memory for that move yet >.<
    but all the others arent bad for me except.. c mk the hardest thing ever
    Why do you think he said "in five years"?

I can't link st. mp on OE consistently, however on arcade or Supercade i can get it every time. Weird...
    psn: darkTown2
    st: ken, ryu, guile, fei, boxer, cammy, and sagat
    3s: ken, shotos, yang, dudley, urien,yun, alex, chun,
    sf4: ken, i play most of the cast as alternate characters.
    hitconfirming off 1 hit just seems ridiculous
  • DuralathDuralath Gentlemen's Class. Joined: Posts: 1,164Registered
    hitconfirming off 1 hit just seems ridiculous

Cr.mp isn't too terribly bad. You should be buffering the motion no matter what.
    My name is Duralath.
    But you already knew that.
    imo cr.mp is one of Ken's easiest hit confirms. Just make sure you aren't canceling it when you're learning it or it will be harder than cr.mk

I don't get it. How is 1 hit hitconfirming here possible to do consistently in 3s, but doesn't happen in sfiv
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,224Registered
    most of the one or two hit hitconfirms in 3S use a super. meter builds fast in 3S, and the meters can be short and hold multiple stocks. that's why you see those kinds of combos often. it's not that those possibilities don't exist in sf4, it's just that meter tends to be used for other things. plus, the exaggerated hitstun and frame advantages in sf4 lets you link normals and specials to an extent that you can't in 3S, so there isn't much need to hitconfirm into supers in this fashion. make the appropriate changes to sf4 and they probably would happen more often.
    This message will self-destruct.
    The number of hits doesn't matter. It's more about just the time you have between the move hitting and when you can do a super. In the case of cr.mp its a really long time. Probably one of the longest for a link combo. Shoto cr.mk isn't a link, and has a strict cancel window so its much harder.

most of the one or two hit hitconfirms in 3S use a super. meter builds fast in 3S, and the meters can be short and hold multiple stocks. that's why you see those kinds of combos often. it's not that those possibilities don't exist in sf4, it's just that meter tends to be used for other things. plus, the exaggerated hitstun and frame advantages in sf4 lets you link normals and specials to an extent that you can't in 3S, so there isn't much need to hitconfirm into supers in this fashion. make the appropriate changes to sf4 and they probably would happen more often.

Thats really why I dont like SF4 the hitstun/blocktun is crazy and theres no hitconfirming. Its just tick tick tick special move.
    I dunno, it just seems like cr lk x2 is like any jab/short x 2 in sf4. Which is fairly fast. 3rd strike is even faster.

Also, why didn't anyone tell me that b. mk on crouching is linkable into jinrai??? I land that shit so much.
  • sphinxsphinx Joined: Posts: 99Registered
    I have a different question. After landing a target combo, if you have meter, should you ALWAYS go into super? When is it right to go into srk instead?
  • MarbleMarble エバラ HUGOOO Joined: Posts: 253Registered
    I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer to this. But for me, it depends on how much stock I have. I usually combo in super, but if I barely have one bar I'll probably go into shoryu. But if I do combo into super in that situation I'll almost always go for the post SA3 ambiguous cross-up because if it lands you get heaps of meter back. Besides meter you have to consider momentum, both you and your opponent's life, whether or not their character can be double shoryu'd after target combo in their current position on screen, etc.
  • akuaku リアル邪王心眼 Joined: Posts: 3,666Registered
    I have a different question. After landing a target combo, if you have meter, should you ALWAYS go into super? When is it right to go into srk instead?

It's not always the best choice to burn a Super if you have a bar stocked. Ken's EX moves are very helpful tools for Ken, so it's best to at least have half a bar, or a bar and a half on you. Like most other characters, if you have a bar and you're both about to die from a Super, then burn it. A round is a round.

Meter management is a huge part of 3rd Strike. Learn when you think it's appropriate to burn meter and when not to.
  • sphinxsphinx Joined: Posts: 99Registered
    THanks for the advice. I tend to use super when I'm at midscreen or in the corner, to build and break momentum, I tend to save it when I have them in the corner.
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,224Registered
    you can also consider if they're crouching. srk benefits more from the damage bonus than a super does since shippu forces standing after the first hit. the rest mostly boils down to generic round-to-round management and how badly you want to close out the round based on stuff marble mentioned. if you have a maxed bar then obviously clear some out with a super since you won't gain meter from the uppercuts (or anything else, for that matter). matchups are important too. yun gets up fast and doesn't get hit by srk if target combo hits crouching, so supering and using the hard knockdown to stay on him is usually a good idea.
    This message will self-destruct.
  • Buster CannonBuster Cannon a.k.a. AquaTeamV3 Joined: Posts: 2,149Registered
    I've had learning how to Kara-SRK on my to-do-list for years, but never actually took the time to learn it. Are there any execution tips to pulling it off? I've seen the vid for it, but I'm having a little trouble getting started in terms of actually doing it. I'd really like to integrate it into my game, saves meter and all that.
    F,D,DF+MK(or HK)~LP
    The ~ signifies that you press DF+MK(or HK) and then kara-cancel into LP.

The timing is the same as a kara-throw. Practice doing the kara-shoryu by itself first, then work into LP SRK->kara-LP SRK.

There aren't many occasions where you'll use it though, since despite the extra range kara-SRK gives you, you still need to be very close to the opponent to do so. Still something worthwhile to know, but just know it's not the best solution all the time.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 3,125Registered
    make sure you're holding df while doing roundhouse and then shoryu.
    i usually let the stick sort of go after doing a shoryu input which used to make it impossible to kara shoryu.

you may not realize you aren't holding it there long enough.
    Play more.
    Well, you technically CAN do double DP to Chun and Makoto by letting go of DF. But those two have fat hitboxes so it's only possible on those two. Learn to do it with DF. lol
  • sowutifmahsnsuxsowutifmahsnsux Denjin Hadokener Joined: Posts: 262Registered
    I would really appreciate if anyone could contribute to a list of safe super jump>meaty timings off SA3 (or please direct me the appropriate thread).

For example, after landing sa3 on Urien, the timing is standing strong>super jump>meaty...

"Correct timing" list:
    - Urien: st. mp

"Maybe correct timing": list:
    - Chun: cr. mp

Cannot safe jump list:
    -

Thanks!
    StarCraft II? Check. Street Fighter IV? Check. SHENMUE III?????????
  • WombleWomble Joined: Posts: 558Registered
    I would really appreciate if anyone could contribute to a list of safe super jump>meaty timings off SA3 (or please direct me the appropriate thread).

For example, after landing sa3 on Urien, the timing is standing strong>super jump>meaty...

"Correct timing" list:
    - Urien: st. mp

"Maybe correct timing": list:
    - Chun: cr. mp

Cannot safe jump list:
    -

Thanks!
    I dunno about most characters, but for shoto's it's st mp then take a tiny tiny step back (you wont even see yourself move back if you did it correctly and im being serious here). If done right you won't cross up, don't take the step back to crossup.

On another note, I found a pretty interesting shoto option select. Everyone knows you can crouch tech right and if you do, cr lp comes out. Handy, but obviously it can be parried high and low. Well, I found out you can crouch tech and get cr lk to come out if you kara the throw itself. Essentially it's like a kara only you press and hold down, then press lk and then a split second later press lp. If done correctly cr lk will come out instead of cr lp. The advantage of this, is that you can tech a throw whilst going for a short short confirm (or even short jab short or short short short). Pretty insane tbh.

I'm guessing this could also have uses for other chars aswell though, like cr lk (the os) then into shoulder into aegis for urien, or er....Well, I can't think of any other practical ones atm...