The SRK Glossary - WIP

Comments

• HBRDHBRD why Joined: Posts: 2,464Registered
    Another thing you might want to add in there would be the Kara Throw.. It was a lot more popular in 3s, however it still is there in SF4 specifically Ken can do his Kara Throw with mk->lk+lp

See Kara Cancel. It's not just for throwing :tup:
    Magnetomaniac: TEACH THIS GUY HOW TO PLAY CHUN AND RUFUS RESPECTIVELY
    Tarnish: OS is like the Coke Zero of strategy
    Abominablek: CvS1's menu theme was so gay I expected the Queer Eye guys to bust into my house and give me a makeover
  • EvelgestEvelgest set the lab on fire. Joined: Posts: 1,372Registered
    A couple random ones I thought of:
    SJC
    Vortex, which could be included with untechable kd
    Air control
    Spacing
    Ground game
    Reverse OCV
    OH UMEHARA-SAMA
    TEACH ME GUILE-SAN ARIGATO
    ~ mzenken
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 3,969Registered
    ~
    UOH
    BnB
    FFF
    SA1/2/3
    Absolute/Free guard
    Hit pause
    Juggle
    ToD combo
    Cancels, Chains, Chain/Renda/CPS1 cancels
    Counter hit
    Kumite, Gachi
  • Lord HDLLord HDL Hi Joined: Posts: 174Registered
    This is more of a nitpick than anything, but CC (custom combo) originated in Alpha 2, not Alpha 3's V-ISM.

Also:

Priority: Determines whether an attack will beat, lose, or trade with another attack upon collision.
    Trade: Both players get hit with each other's attacks upon collision.
    Hitbox: The area/range of an attack or a character's body (which is sometimes called "hurtbox"). Example: (blue encompasses the area where the character can get hit and damaged by an attack. Red is for attacks).
    Air to Air: An aerial move commonly used to beat the opponent's aerial moves.
    Block String: A series of attacks that force the opponent to stay in blocking position. Used mainly for limiting their options, baiting responses, pushing them to the corner, etc.

I've never heard the term "proration." That's commonly referred to as damage scaling.
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 3,964Registered
    ^ Might be worth noting that priority does not actually exist in game as a value or anything, it is merely a blanket term used to describe speed and hitboxes
    and then i saw video three
  • booty clapperbooty clapper Grrrrrr Joined: Posts: 1,746Registered
    7 8 9
    4(5)6
    1 2 3

notation.

Quoting myself because i feel numeric notation is very important.
    #SNKPlaymore & #Alpha2 on efnet
  • Lord HDLLord HDL Hi Joined: Posts: 174Registered
    I've always thought of priority as a a term that gives an idea as to what moves will generally win. It's no secret that if you throw out 2 different moves, assuming the conditions are always the same, the result should be the same as well. Stronger moves (in general, but not always) tend to win out more often due to the hitbox placement. Whether or not there's an actual number value on the programmed level that plays a part is not something I'm aware of. Could even be dependent on the game itself, but that's another bag of money.
  • Unknown Joined:
    I don't know of any games other than Guilty Gear that have it (does BB?), but you could put in a definition for Jump Install.

(http://www.dustloop.com/ggac/tech/ji.html)

I'd also throw in the shorthand for GG/BB/TvC/etc.

Fantastic glossary. This is going to be extremely helpful to beginners.
  • 4r54r5 FIGHTAN VIDYA GAEMS Joined: Posts: 2,317Registered
    Pretty 100% that jump-install is only specific to Guilty Gear. Like charge-partition is to 3s.

BB doesn't have jump-install. OR, you can say that BB auto-jump-installs everything you do; actually you probably shouldn't.
    PSN: fourer5 // XBL: fourerfive // LoL: QQ China
    www.youtube.com/user/fourerfive
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 3,964Registered
    JI also exists in Hokuto no Ken.
    and then i saw video three
  • Demon JimDemon Jim I'm Cereal Joined: Posts: 4,154Registered, Moderators
    This is more of a nitpick than anything, but CC (custom combo) originated in Alpha 2, not Alpha 3's V-ISM.

Also:

Priority: Determines whether an attack will beat, lose, or trade with another attack upon collision.
    Trade: Both players get hit with each other's attacks upon collision.
    Hitbox: The area/range of an attack or a character's body (which is sometimes called "hurtbox"). Example: (blue encompasses the area where the character can get hit and damaged by an attack. Red is for attacks).
    Air to Air: An aerial move commonly used to beat the opponent's aerial moves.
    Block String: A series of attacks that force the opponent to stay in blocking position. Used mainly for limiting their options, baiting responses, pushing them to the corner, etc.

I've never heard the term "proration." That's commonly referred to as damage scaling.

Everything this guy said.

Chicken Wing - Another name for Fei Long's Dragon Arc Kick
    Unblockable
    Push Block
    Glitch
    Advanced Hyper Viper Beam (AHVB)
    Reset
    Money Match (MM)
    Just Defend
    Ranking Battle (RanBat) - I see the question of what's a ranbat all the time
    Crosshand(ed) - Playing on an arcade stick with your hands in a reversed position. Right hand is controlling the joystick and the left hand is pushing the buttons, this causes your arms to cross. Seth Killian is the only person I can think of that uses this method successfully.

-DJ-
    Just like that.
    "...but when he gets there, at the end of the day, it's just corn flakes." - Christopher Walken
    Battle at the Border Tournament Director
  • otterotter PSN: MyBodyIsInfested Joined: Posts: 2,538Registered
    Great job guys! I have a couple notes if that is okay:

-The definition of pushblock you have is correct. You wanted that confirmed. You may want to add the it negates chip damage for a short time, and leaves the user vulnerable if used in the air.

-AVHB actually stands for "Air Hyper Viper Beam". The startup and especially recovery times of the HVB change drastically if its used in the air. It has nothing to do with whether or not you tiger knee the motion, or any other advanced method.

-SF4 Sagat's overhead is toward+fierce, not toward+jab.
    Great job guys! I have a couple notes if that is okay:

-The definition of pushblock you have is correct. You wanted that confirmed. You may want to add the it negates chip damage for a short time, and leaves the user vulnerable if used in the air.

-AVHB actually stands for "Air Hyper Viper Beam". The startup and especially recovery times of the HVB change drastically if its used in the air. It has nothing to do with whether or not you tiger knee the motion, or any other advanced method.

-SF4 Sagat's overhead is toward+fierce, not toward+jab.

Thanks!
    Abominablek: CvS1's menu theme was so gay I expected the Queer Eye guys to bust into my house and give me a makeover
    AVHB actually stands for "Air Hyper Viper Beam". The startup and especially recovery times of the HVB change drastically if its used in the air. It has nothing to do with whether or not you tiger knee the motion, or any other advanced method.

My bad this would be correct. Air Hyper Viper Beam.

A few things:

When a just defend is performed a small amount of life is gained.

Also for reset, it is more for resetting the damage scale.

-DJ-
    Just like that.
    "...but when he gets there, at the end of the day, it's just corn flakes." - Christopher Walken
    In the Games section you should also add the following...

TvC - Tatsunoko vs Capcom
    KOF - King of Fighters, i guess you can add like 98UM and the likes. Up to you.
    MBAA - Melty Blood Actress Again
    SSV - Samurai Shodown V

Can't really think of any more off the top of my head, if anyone else can think of anymore abbreviations please add them.

Also this index is coming along really well. Good work.
    Games:
    GG /XX/#R/AC - Guilty Gear/XX/#Reload/Accent Core
    BB - Blazblu
    PF - Puzzle Fighter
    SC - Soul Calibur

More words:
    Piano Tap
    Scraped (it's become a popular phrase now)
    Chain Combo
    Semi-Infinite
    Infinite
    Airthrow
    CPS1/2/3
    Supergun (some people don't know what a supergun is)
    Softban
    Macro

Tournaments:
    EVO (Evolution)
    SBO (Super Battle Opera/Tougeki)
    FR (Final Round)
    MWC (Midwest Championships)
    SB (Seasons Beatings)

I can't think of that many more that are as big as those, well that still exist.

-DJ-
    Just like that.
    Roll Cancel (RC)

How did we all miss this term? I guess you can add the word Roll too since that is also a basic term.

Also the bold around Trade is messed up its missing the /

-DJ-
    Just like that.
    Perhaps when you guys add terms, you could also provide the definition. The OP shouldnt be fully responsible.
    Yeah, especially since I don't really know what some of these things are. I think I got RCing right, maybe not though.
    Perhaps when you guys add terms, you could also provide the definition. The OP shouldnt be fully responsible.

agree x2
    Roll Cancel sounds about right. On roll though it exists in lots of games. I think all the vs games, snk, cvs, alpha, and 3S all have roll. Alphas roll command is weird B,DB,D+KK shit I can't remember if its 2 kicks or 1.

I know what they are hard to explain. Here is a shot at 1 of them (feel free to change to make it sound better)
    Alpha Counter - a counter in the Alpha series and CvS2 (1?) in which a character uses one bar/level of meter in order to counter hit a blocked attack, Performed by hitting f + Same Strength P + K instantly following a blocked attack
    Charge Partition - ?? I have no idea how to word this SOMEBODY WITH KNOWELEDGE OF THIS HELP!!
    Charge Buffering - http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/sep/10/charge-buffering-street-fighter-4/

Taken from an older post of mine.

Supergun - An adapter used to connect an arcade board to a television set, console controllers can be used with the right setup.
    Softban - Something that is not banned but is extremely frowned upon in tournament play. EX: ST, Akuma is allowed in Japanese tournament play but is extremely frowned upon, USA he is banned.
    CPS1/2/3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_II, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_III (Capcom System, the different systems used in different arcade boards of Capcom games, only games of that CPS type can be played on that system)

Everything with the word combo, has really good definitions just copy and paste http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combo_(gaming)

The link contains:
    Combo
    Simple Combo
    2-1
    Auto Combo
    Chain Combo
    Super Combo
    Custom Combo
    Juggle Combo (same as Juggle)
    Air Combo

-DJ-
    Just like that.
    I've added descriptions for some of the items:

~ = The notation for "immediately afterwards". It usually means the moves should be inputted very frames apart, but it varies by move and game. eg. Ken's Kara throw in SFIV is f.mk~lp+lk, pianoing the punches from low to high would be lp~mp~hp

Absolute/Free guard = A game is said to have absolute guard if hits at your level (ie standing or crouching) are blocked automatically while you're in hitstun. eg. In SFIV, if you block the first hit of Metsu Shoryuken the game will automatically block the rest even if you push forward. Games with free guard require you to manually block regardless of whether you're not in blockstun.

Hit pause = The slight pause that occurs in some games when moves/projectiles hit the opponent

Juggle = A combo that connects while the opponent is off the ground.

Cancel = To cancel the animation and or properties of one move by using a another.

Chain = A chain is a series of normal moves where the recovery of each move is canceled into the startup of it's successor, thereby creating a combo.

CPS1 cancels = A type of cancel exclusive to SF2 games which ran on Capcom's CPS1 hardware (WW, CE, HF) that allowed you to cancel chainable kicks into any punch. The trick was to start with a light chainable kick, and then switch stance from high to low (or vice versa, depending on which move you started the combo with) and press the same kick + any punch. eg. c.lk xx s.lk + s.fp. This was a powerful technique because the punch maintained combo potential so it could be cancelled into a special move (In SF2, CPS1 chains ending in a special usually dizzied the opponent)

Renda cancel aka Renda kara cancel aka Chain Cancel = A technique used primarily in SSF2T to extend a chain combo into special combo (usually Super). In SF2, you could not combo into a special move after a chain combo. You can bypass this limitation though by starting a chain combo with crouching attacks and then kara-cancelling a standing chainable move into a special. eg. To combo into Ken's Super from two shorts: c.lk xx c.lk [df f d df] xx f.lk~p. SFIV's Chun Li's c.lk c.lk into EX legs is also apparently a renda cancel.

Kumite = An organized battle were 1 player squares off against a number of other opponents (usually 5 or more)

Gachi aka Taiman Gachi = A long series of matches (usually 10+) between two players

Feel free to correct any mistakes/oversights

A note on the vortex:
    I think the key concept which is missing from the description is that each mixup option resets the vortex if it is landed successfully. Without that aspect it wouldn't be a vortex, just a plain mixup.
  • LaughinghyenaLaughinghyena Always Laughing Joined: Posts: 479Registered
    How about boxers turn around punch?

Well thats the only way that TAP(turn around punch) will work. The move comes out of a negative edge input.
    Premier Fighting Competitive Brand

Proudly sponsored by: Mad Catz, Focus Fire, Eventhubs, The Hadou, Gaming Generations, Youmacon!
    Here are a few that new players may be looking for:

Focus Attack - A SF4 exclusive command done by hitting Strong (medium punch) and forward (medium kick) at one time. You may absorb one attack to make its damage temporary, but the Revenge meter gained is permanent. Hold down the buttons to charge up the attack, which will activate via Negative Edge. Maximize it's power at level 3 to make the attack unblockable.

Focus Cancel - A SF4 exclusive command done by performing a Focus Attack during the animation of another attack. not all moves are eligible for Focus Canceling, and certain normal and special moves are chosen arbitrarily. Requires two ex bars.

Focus Attack Dash Cancel (FADC) - A SF4 exclusive command done by performing a Focus Cancel and immediately dashing to sometimes gain massive frame advantage and juggling opportunities. Similar to Roman Canceling (Guilty Gear) and Rapid Canceling (BlazBlue) except for the fact that you must dash in either direction before reaching a neutral state.

Saving Attack - A Japanese name for Focus Attack. Some Western arcade players use this term from when there was no English version in existence.

If these are too long winded, just do some editing :)
  • Sh0ryu_Repp4Sh0ryu_Repp4 Know Thyself. Joined: Posts: 675Registered
    thnx for this thread, i had alot of basic terms down already but i found alot here i had heard and didn't know or wasn't sure of, thnx for the great work!
    "You Can't Fly Over Snake Way" - King Kai
  • Truest StrikeTruest Strike Rindoukan User Joined: Posts: 459Registered
    @HBRD

Is it alright if I use this same information but in another site? I'll post your name and everything for due credit.
    @HBRD

Is it alright if I use this same information but in another site? I'll post your name and everything for due credit.
    Sure, but remember it's changing pretty much daily.
  • Truest StrikeTruest Strike Rindoukan User Joined: Posts: 459Registered
    Cool, and thanks. I'll keep up with it.
  • prorookprorook Joined: Posts: 475Registered
    I dunno about the reset definition. I always thought that a reset was a pause in a combo that will reset damage scaling. Like a balrog combo in sf4... j.FP,jab,jab,short,ex-dash punch,jab,short,headbutt,ultra = 450ish dmg
    but... j.fp,jab,jab,short,ex-dash punch,jab,short,overhead(reset),short,headbutt,ultra = 700ish dmg
    kaybar akayaye ky-jelly
    I dunno about the reset definition. I always thought that a reset was a pause in a combo that will reset damage scaling
    People refer to different techniques as resets these days.

You can use a move that knocks them out of a juggle state so that they land on their feet for the purposes of performing a mixup when they recover. This is usuallly known as resetting the opponent. The entire string of moves and a followup is sometimes called a reset mixup (see Sabre vs Valle @ Evo 2K9)

Another type of reset is using a technique that breaks the combo, but causes them to get by your next move (because they blocked wrong way) so that the damage scaling resets while leaving you in a position to start a new combo (this is what you're referring to)

Stopping a combo midway and throwing the opponent for unscaled damage is also sometimes called a reset.