Akuma FAQs: Quick questions & answers!

LoyalSolLoyalSol Baton Rouge, LousianaJoined: Posts: 4,123Registered
I seriously got tired of answering many of the repeat questions again and again. So here we go, a thread to all of those questions that are (sort of) valid questions and get asked way too much.

Q: I am a (insert main here) player and want to take up Akuma as a secondary, is this a good idea?

A: Ultimately it is up to you. Akuma generally requires a large time commitment to learn. His basics are easy to understand, but his specifics are hard to master. His stamina requires you to play smart in both your offense and defense or else you will meet a quick death. His offensive abilities are amazing when used correctly and his basic combos are relatively simple.

So it can be rewarding for your overall experience to play him, but it will require a lot of work.

Q: If I suck and can't play Akuma well, what do I do?

A: For starters, DON'T POST A PITY PARTY THREAD! First identify what is causing you problems. If you can't do this then try to get a video recorded of one of your matches and post it in the video thread asking for criticism. When you know what is wrong then look around in different threads for information as most of the general information should be found either in a sticky or near the top of the forum. There is also a search function that should be used. If (and only if) there is no thread around that discusses the area that interests you then you can post a thread although it is recommended to post small questions inside of an already existing thread when possible.

Failure to comply with this may result in general flaming, negging, and/or a visit from the resident thread nazi also known as West. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Q: Can I combo Akuma's Ultra?

A: Yes, although there are only two ways of doing so. One of the ways is to land a focus attack that has been charged up to level 2 or 3 and dash cancel into the Ultra. There are a few known ways to combo into a lvl 2 focus attack, but these are rather difficult. The other way is to stun your opponent and use it then. Both methods have a high damage reduction on it so it is wise not to use the Ultra after a long combo that results in a stun. You will generally land the Ultra more in other applications of it.

Outside of a FA or stun it is impossible to combo the Ultra.

Q: Why should I use a LP.SRK instead of a HP.SRK to FADC into a HP.Shaku after a Tatsu?

Short A: It does more damage

Detailed A: Read this after the second quote. http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7365580&postcount=12

Q: Why do some Akuma players use c.HK after a LK.Tatsu instead of something like a HP.SRK? Doesn't the HP.SRK do more damage?

A: While the HP.SRK does indeed do more damage, the purpose of the c.HK is not to do damage, but rather it is for the knockdown. A knockdown off of a sweep in untechable which allows you to pressure them as they wake up. After a HP.SRK your foe is able to quickly stand upon hitting the ground and at the same time you are recovering from your HP.SRK. As a result your foe is able to get up unhindered and you lose offensive pressure and have to work to regain it.

Q: So when I go to practice LK.Tatsu > c.HK it isn't working, why is that?

A: Because it does not work against every character. Some characters are immune to it. Here is a thread with a list.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=204796

Q: What is a reset? How do I do it?

A: I wrote a thread about this a while back

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=197286

Also another attempt was made at this.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=202532

Hopefully you can find everything you need there.

Q: What is 1 + 1?

A: It is 3. See 1 + 1 = 11 which is binary for 3. Now do your own math homework.

Those were the questions that I saw the most. If you got some more that get asked a lot then post them and I can add them later.
Σ(All Hits) = K.O.
"You don't become good at anything in life by understanding how to do it, you become good at it by understanding why you do it."

Comments

• LoyalSolLoyalSol Baton Rouge, Lousiana Joined: Posts: 4,123Registered
    Reserved for expansion #1
    Σ(All Hits) = K.O.
    "You don't become good at anything in life by understanding how to do it, you become good at it by understanding why you do it."
  • LordofUltimaLordofUltima MY MOVES R NOTHING Joined: Posts: 844Registered
    1+1 is actually 7 NOOB!
    ...yeah, but the summers are real nice in Washington.
    1+1 is actually 7 NOOB!

Oh crap I forgot to carry the pi over!
    Σ(All Hits) = K.O.
  • BokkinBokkin Have gun Will shoot Joined: Posts: 2,135Registered
    ^hey hey hey in the combo into ultra you say lvl 2 but you might wanna say that akuma can combo into lvl 2 it's just hella hard and not worth it.
    "I'm a titty fucking kind of guy"
    -MikeHasCookies 2011
  • ShinAkuma204ShinAkuma204 The Primordial Ooze Joined: Posts: 3,998Registered
    Add to the ultra combo section that there is no other possible way to combo it other than the two ways mentioned.
    Who's cuisine reigns supreme?!

"Well I guess the future is rape and no one can stop it."
  • FistTaFaceFistTaFace Practice=Perfect Joined: Posts: 128Registered
    Thats so weak how all the other charaters have FADC into ultra but akuma doesnt =c
    Street Fighter All Day EveryDay! Thats All Thier Is To Say.....
  • CubannedCubanned Tango Sucka! Joined: Posts: 240Registered
    My teacher taught me 1 + 1 = 2.

Loyal, parent teacher conference on Friday. Be there or I'm dropping the happy face off the chart.

On topic: This is a good thread. Sticky imo.
  • mettleh3dmettleh3d Joined: Posts: 582Registered
    Thats so weak how all the other charaters have FADC into ultra but akuma doesnt =c

he can ultra in several situations however.
    Add to the ultra combo section that there is no other possible way to combo it other than the two ways mentioned.

ummm did you ever check the combo into demon thread? A guy actually made a vid doing it himself. Soooooo yeah you can combo into lvl 2 focus into demon.

he did Demon flip kick->cLP->cLP->cMP->FADC lvl 2->Demon and the shit combo'd

Thank you again KaosMIDIProphet-> http://www.zshare.net/video/64535836e4b058e0/ ->download it for better quality

There you go a plausible hit confirm into demon. Is it hard... hell yeah!!!!... is it possible....hell yeah!!!!
    -MikeHasCookies 2011
    ummm did you ever check the combo into demon thread? A guy actually made a vid doing it himself. Soooooo yeah you can combo into lvl 2 focus into demon.

he did Demon flip kick->cLP->cLP->cMP->FADC lvl 2->Demon and the shit combo'd

Thank you again KaosMIDIProphet-> http://www.zshare.net/video/64535836e4b058e0/ ->download it for better quality

There you go a plausible hit confirm into demon. Is it hard... hell yeah!!!!... is it possible....hell yeah!!!!

Well, that's technically still a lv2 focus, the fact that you can combo before the focus doesn't change the fact that it's still a focus.
    ^just saying it is combo-able into just through lvl 2 focus and maybe put on there that you can combo into focus.
    -MikeHasCookies 2011
  • DuggishDuggish ... Joined: Posts: 2,225Registered
    Bokkin show me that combo one of these days, that sounds flashy as fuck.
    in training...
  • tribaLtribaL すいっぴ。 Joined: Posts: 218Registered
    ^just saying it is combo-able into just through lvl 2 focus and maybe put on there that you can combo into focus.

well, i think it's pretty obvious that by "focus" he meant "stun from a focus". i don't think he needs to specify that much.
  • SpinisterSpinister SF SCRUB Joined: Posts: 92Registered

if he did he would move up to A maybe S tier
    XBL: Spinnervate
  • DuggishDuggish ... Joined: Posts: 2,225Registered
    if he did he would move up to A maybe S tier

uh...he is definitly A, if not S (in my book) Tier.

I'm just going by the general consensus, I confidently put akuma on the A-tier imho. I dunno about S tier since his stamina and his lack of ability to combo into ultra.

Is general consensus that he's B? Totally A. I would have thought, at least. Not that it matters. :P
    in training...
  • SpinisterSpinister SF SCRUB Joined: Posts: 92Registered

I'm just going by the general consensus, I confidently put akuma on the A-tier imho. I dunno about S tier since his stamina and his lack of ability to combo into ultra.
    XBL: Spinnervate

Is general consensus that he's B? Totally A. I would have thought, at least. Not that it matters. :P

From nearly every list that has come from the Japanese scene they say Akuma is an A. Mago even went on record saying that no one has truly figured out Akuma yet and if they do he could join Sagat up at S rank.
    Σ(All Hits) = K.O.
  • KaidenKaiden Joined: Posts: 44Registered
    1+1 is actually 7 NOOB!

Dont mean to be a negitive ned, but where did you get 7 from?

1+1 would actually be 2 in binary. If you break down each part into decimal first then add the sums it would look like:

0001 b = 1 d
    0001 b = 1 d
    _________
    = 2 d

Or if you add the binary first and then convert to decimal it would look like:

0001 b
    + 0001 b
    ______
    0010 b = 2 d

7 in binary is 0111 b, or just 111 b.

Never would have thought crap from my D.E. class would actually come up. Maybe Im missing something because I didnt know pi had anything to do with binary.
    That how life is, sometimes you're the cat, sometimes the mouse

1+1 would actually be 2 in binary. If you break down each part into decimal first then add the sums it would look like:

0001 b = 1 d
    0001 b = 1 d
    _________
    = 2 d

0001 b
    + 0001 b
    ______
    0010 b = 2 d

Never would have thought crap from my D.E. class would actually come up. Maybe Im missing something because I didnt know pi had anything to do with binary.

Umm....It was a joke you know.......

And I got 3 by twisting logic. It depends on what kind of logic you apply. In some forms of code the + operator can be a merger operator especially when dealing with strings instead of integers. So if you wrote 1 + 1 as a string merged with a string then that becomes 11 and when converted into binary becomes 3.
    Σ(All Hits) = K.O.

0001 b = 1 d
    0001 b = 1 d
    _________
    = 2 d

0001 b
    + 0001 b
    ______
    0010 b = 2 d

Yeah you are speaking robot language now so you lost me. Just me disagreeing for the sake of it.
  • Fatal Error XIFatal Error XI Waiting for shoryuken.com.... Joined: Posts: 596Registered

I would say S: Sagat, A: Ryu, B+: Akuma

I think his low stamina, and lack of ways to combo into Ultra hold him back from S tier. However he can hang with Sagat and Ryu better than a lot of the cast.
    -Av by Master Chibi
    "Across this Sea of Space, the Stars are other Suns. We've traveled this way before, and there is much to be learned." -Carl Sagan
  • Spoki31Spoki31 Stolen guy shoes Joined: Posts: 166Registered
    I can't manage myself to do a fucking link.

Is there any tips for that ?

I mean, i can do HK => low P. => HK, but this is hard as shit.

If there is a trick please share it with me ^^

===================================================================================
    I think his low stamina, and lack of ways to combo into Ultra hold him back from S tier. However he can hang with Sagat and Ryu better than a lot of the cast.

If you can convert the stamina's lost in Ultra oppportunity, then his low stamina is not a so bad drawback.
    Plus, Akuma has a lot of way to avoid damage.

So, in my opinion, Sagat : S, Ryu, Akuma : A
    MAIN SSF4 : Balrog / Chun li.

To be honest his low stamina is not that much of a set back in higher level play. The only time it really becomes an issue if you are getting flat out owned. Otherwise you are able to escape a lot more damage that other characters would have taken.
    Σ(All Hits) = K.O.
  • Unknown Joined:
    quick question what's the word on akuma's back and what does "messatsu" means ?
  • Spoki31Spoki31 Stolen guy shoes Joined: Posts: 166Registered
    It depends on Street fighter version.

Sometime the kanji on the back of akuma's kimono means "evil" ( in Us capcom ), and sometimes it means "paradise" ( in Japan capcom version ) while messatsu means "destructive"
    MAIN SSF4 : Balrog / Chun li.
  • Professor JonesProfessor Jones Joined: Posts: 213Registered
    I see some good akuma players use the lp shakunetsu in fireball wars/zoning, but I don't see any reason to use it over a normal gou hadou. Anyone knows what's up with that ?
  • KichKich Joined: Posts: 1,126Registered
    I see some good akuma players use the lp shakunetsu in fireball wars/zoning, but I don't see any reason to use it over a normal gou hadou. Anyone knows what's up with that ?

It's just part of the mind-games. Normally, in a fireball war, someone's reaction is to either block or jump over a FP shaku. But throwing LP Shaku's makes them question whether or not they really need to jump over it.

That's at least how I've come to interpret it. You train them to stop jumping over Shaku's because they assume you're just whipping LP's or you force them into a position where they don't know if they should jump or block or not. Given that all 3 shakus appear to have about the same start up time and travel speed, the gamble is in how many hits that shaku has in it.
    I hit confirm with standing fierce punch.
  • SS Dictator Joined: Posts: 692Registered

I always thought it was to make people think it was going to be a three hit Shakunetsu, so they would try to focus it/neutralize with their own FB/super armor.
    Live in ignorance, and purchase your happiness.

Mind games. People love to jump when they see a red ball. The LP recovers faster than either the MP or the HP Shaku which means that there are distances that the HP could be punished from that the LP can't.

So a few examples for its uses are things like you could use this to bait people into jumping in on you or use it to close the distance on a turtling player.
    Σ(All Hits) = K.O.
  • Professor JonesProfessor Jones Joined: Posts: 213Registered
    Thanks for the replies, that makes sense. Like all bluffs this would only work on good players though, I'll experiment with it as soon as I get the occasion.