The Ken Thread - Ask Here - Discussion - Strats

Comments

• keninblackkeninblack Pugilist Joined: Posts: 3,457Registered
    Altight thanks man, I will take this into consideration when playing with some friends and such.

Thanks again!
    17/<3s/Top 16 Qualifier in Skullgirls @ EVO2012
    RIP Bryan Kelly
    @keninblackpat
  • losnahlosnah Joined: Posts: 62Registered
    My one question is, I have been playing Dudley/Ken forever now. After not playing in awhile I might switch to Ken. I just need to know...

What exactly do you do with him? I really have no clue, I have seen vids but I still need to know. Do you build meter, pressure, turtle, mixup, ALL OF THEM!? I just dont know, so if someone could tell me it would be appericiated.

mixup is a big part of kens game. try to juke them out by remembering what u did before if the same situation arises. say u do low short, walk forward and grab when they're in the corner, next time u do a low short, if they're smart they'll try to poke you as u walk forward, so do a low short, down parry, and punish. ken's dash is really good also. u have so many weapons in your arsenal that its just too fun :D
  • Unknown Joined:
    My one question is, I have been playing Dudley/Ken forever now. After not playing in awhile I might switch to Ken. I just need to know...

What exactly do you do with him? I really have no clue, I have seen vids but I still need to know. Do you build meter, pressure, turtle, mixup, ALL OF THEM!? I just dont know, so if someone could tell me it would be appericiated.

Everyone has their own personal style to Ken.

I tend to be a reactive player, punishing mistakes.
    If I score a knockdown, I'm going to try and put them in the corner and start a mixup game.

Another Ken player I know is VERY aggresive. He loves his Fierce Shoryu, his s.MP,s.HP chain and tends to be in your face.

I can't really play that way because I started out as a Chun player, moved to Dudley, and started to mess around with Ken.

So, basically what I'm saying is, Ken is a very versatile character.
    He's got a bit of everything. Just go around experimenting with him until you can find a playing style that works for you.
  • keninblackkeninblack Pugilist Joined: Posts: 3,457Registered
    Alright thanks guys!

One thing I need is combos, all I can do right now is...

MP,HP,SRK.

C.MK,Super.
    17/<3s/Top 16 Qualifier in Skullgirls @ EVO2012
    RIP Bryan Kelly
    @keninblackpat
    Alright thanks guys!

One thing I need is combos, all I can do right now is...

MP,HP,SRK.

C.MK,Super.

theres so many combos in the first page

mp hp hadoken super
    hp medium srk (1hit) super
    cr lk cr lk super
    back mk super (only on crouching, requires timing)

many more. just look on the first page
  • Unknown Joined:
    I have a question on Ken's Kara SRK. I've seen tutorial vids on it and I'm still having quite a bit of trouble pulling it off consistently. I can get it maybe 1/10 tries everynow and then maybe 3. What usually happens is that when its time for the second SRK to hit, it ends up missing and I'm not sure if its because I'm not cancelling the low roundhouse to jab fast enough or maybe too fast?

Is there anyone besides Deshiken who can actually do the kara SRK consistently? Ken players in Japan don't even try to do it.
  • metricmetric - Joined: Posts: 1,032Registered
    Is there anyone besides Deshiken who can actually do the kara SRK consistently? Ken players in Japan don't even try to do it.

I'm pretty sure nobody can do it as consistent as Deshiken but I'm sure every Ken player who knows what there doing will attempt a kara shoryu, a lot of the time you wont see an attempt because it wasn't possible to hit or it just didn't come out.

I'm sure every top player in Japan who alts Ken can kara shoryu, it's not hard.
    :sweat:

I said sure alot :|
    i was watching Nica K.O. play online, and he would kara srk about 8/10 times he tried it
    He was probably feeling it that night. I can full keeper-jin like 10/10 some days and I'm like "I FOUND THE MAGIC TOUCH". Goes away the next morning, I dunno if it's just me but I'll have random days where everything just works, kara shoryu, true kara palms ect ect.

Not taking anything away from Nica, he's great, I could be completely wrong and he's just mastered it.
    eh its like that for everything. even in basketball, some days i can hit everything, some days i cant hit shit, sane with cs..

but yeah i wouldnt doubt if nica has that shit down. hes got a vid on youtube of him teaching it
  • Unknown Joined:
    I have a question.

How does this work:
    cr. forward, Tastu, SA3

I get the obvious part of this combo (cr. forward -> Tatsumaki), but how the hell are you supposed to cancel a Tatsumaki into Ken's SA3???

I'm confused :(

6:16 - 6:21 shows what i'm talking about.
  • TweleveTweleve MEDICINE Joined: Posts: 5,451Registered
    You just have to do it fast. About the same speed as cr.lk -> jab axe xx XNDL with Twelve

And you can only cancel the first hit
    3 minute solo merciless vaal with EK. STEP TO ME SON, YOU DON'T FUCKING WANT NONE OF THIS NIGGA
  • LostintheflurryLostintheflurry KM Joined: Posts: 441Registered
    unless you are just looking for pure style points (of which you would score only a few for doing it) do not use that lk tatsu cancel sa3 ever.

you probably already knew that but its not a very efficient combo.

just go straight into the super and you'll be gravy. you could also do mp upper to super if you want its more damage. although i would say stick to just the super.
    That's not even style points, I usually assume it's a Mexican playing when someone does that. Sorry, FFA fucked me up.
    mexi-kens
  • let blood runlet blood run RYAN Joined: Posts: 1,471Registered
    cr mk to short tatsu is gdlk vs urien. Try it out, even if he parries he cant do anything and if it hits you can cancel to super. Roku and Boss abused the shit out of me with that.
    S for sigarette
    interesting....

i use fierce to lk tatsu on urien in a similar way that i stole from a chinta vid. i never thought of doing it with mk cuz i normally just confirm it straight away but i think i likey the lk tatsu better for this! Good shit!
  • VinnyMaranoVinnyMarano SPLENDID Joined: Posts: 413Registered

when mov was playing me with ken he got kara shoryu 10/10 times, if he missed it its because it was too far and he didn't notice or care.
    he showed me that he used his thumb to press the forward for kara, i tried it and it seems to be way easier, 8-9/10 on a good day
    Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.
    -Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
  • R_T_S_DR_T_S_D Stop Scrubbing Out! Joined: Posts: 683Registered
    I'm pretty sure nobody can do it as consistent as Deshiken but I'm sure every Ken player who knows what there doing will attempt a kara shoryu, a lot of the time you wont see an attempt because it wasn't possible to hit or it just didn't come out.

I'm sure every top player in Japan who alts Ken can kara shoryu, it's not hard.
    :sweat:

I said sure alot :|

This.

Players in North America really need to learn that kara srk's are easy and should be used when applicable, however there are MANY situations where they wont connect, however it would appear that they should.

Some examples include hp xx srk, kara srk working on Chun but not shoto's, however close mp and cr mk work fine on shoto's.

cr mk (hit confirm) srk, kara srk will not work on shotos and urien if the cr mk is canceled on the last possible frame.

mp or cr mk srk kara srk works on twins in corner, however cr lk, close st lp xx srk kara srk does not.

essentially what im getting at is that there are many situations, lots more than whats above, where a properly timed kara srk wont work, yet the spacing intuitively says that it would.

however this also allows for the opposite to happen in some rare situations.

One example is that for the characters where close mp, hp, xx srk, kara srk works in the corner (eg: remy, ibuki, oro etc) the combos close mp/ cr mk xx srk, kara srk (in corner) allow for the kara srk to hit even if the kara srk is a bit late, meaning the cr mk/hk did not come out on the first frame after the initial srk.
    3S: Characters
    STHD: Ken
    SF4: Goukuma

cr mk (hit confirm) srk, kara srk will not work on shotos and urien if the cr mk is canceled on the last possible frame.

i feel inclined to disagree since i practice all my kara srks on random guard hit confirming with low forward and st.cl.mp (yes its confirmable to upper on ps2 also) and i feel like ive canceled c.mk's pretty late and the kara still worked. but if its LAST possible frame only then i'll just believe that cuz i dont know if i've ever canceled it on THE very last frame

in any event tho nice post on the 'no connect' situations!
  • CynistarCynistar Break the Barrier Joined: Posts: 1,098Registered
    bump

don't have anything to contribute just yet, but i'm getting back in to ggpo and i hate to see the ken forum go without any posts for so long.
    Defeat is possible... but highly improbable.
    Twitter@Cynistar742
    Facebook: Javier Garcia
    Youtube: Cynistar742
  • DanderDander wat Joined: Posts: 5,419Registered
    There is also isn't much a risk factor to trying a kara srk seeing as jab shoryu lands relatively quickly. if you get ex try using forward instead of roundhouse or vice versa. I mention the ex because I hear a lot of players complain about getting that instead a lot of the time.
    good luck
  • Quick ManQuick Man Joined: Posts: 501Registered
    Hit-Confirms
    Hit confirms (Linking a normal into a super or SRK by reacting to the player getting hit), probably the most important aspect of Ken's game. Though it's probably the most frustrating thing in the world to get used to. It takes alot of practice and patience, eventually it'll come second nature and you'll have players afraid of you attacking. :)
    -
    List of normals used to hit confirm.
    cl.strong (crouching only)
    cr.strong
    st.strong
    st.strong x st.fierce
    cr.jab x cr.short (x2 shorts will work on some characters standing (necro, chun, makoto, elena, Q, twins, x2 will always work if player is crouched)
    cr.short x2 (or x3 character specific or crouched)
    cr.short x cr.jab x cr.short (I stay away from this, cr.jab shares same red-parry timing as fierce in strong fierce chain)
    st.forward (hold back)

This is my first time ever practicing hit confirms so please, bare with me. How the hell do you buffer supers when hit confirming? Also, I'm practicing this stuff in training mode with random block. Is there any other tips for a noob learning to Hit confirm?

EDIT: Im using the sound of the hit/block to tell me to keep going or to stop.
    alot of people use the sound, but i have to do it visually. the only trick i use is when i'm trying to hit confirm off of a cr.short x2 and i notice their character is standing after the 1st cr.short connects then i'll just automatically super after the 2nd cr.short connects. it's a little more difficult for me to notice the hit animation on crouching characters.

besides using random block you just have to practice alot. make sure you're buffering ur 2 qcf's as soon as your normal move is coming out. that way you don't try to input 2 qcf's immediately after the normal has already connected.
    Twitter@Cynistar742
    Well for the c.lk 2x, where should I buffer?
    buffer immediately after pressing the 2nd cr. short.
    Twitter@Cynistar742
    isn't that not really buffering? i thought buffering is when you do the motion while pressing the first or 2nd inputs? so like, motion, 1st input, motion, 2nd.
  • savaii64savaii64 HYPA POM! Joined: Posts: 2,081Registered
    isn't that not really buffering? i thought buffering is when you do the motion while pressing the first or 2nd inputs? so like, motion, 1st input, motion, 2nd.

Its still buffering because you are doing the motion while the low short is finishing its animation. (amirite?) You have the right idea as well. Buffering imo means doing the motion while your character is doing something (anything) else.
    Avatar Request Thread | Play HoN with me!
    "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."
    prob going to rewrite/explain things better on this, needs a new update as I've learned a lot more since then.
  • DanderDander wat Joined: Posts: 5,419Registered
    I've gotten into the habit of always buffering no matter what the normal. I dunno why I just posted that, btw.
    good luck