Fei Long Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

SosageSosage Mopping Up Your SaltJoined: Posts: 1,672Registered, Moderators
You know what to do here Fei players.
www.DrunkenTemple.com ...cause I am a broke ass artist...
Keystone II ...cause I like the video games...
SFIV/SSFIV/MvC3 mod ...cause I enjoy destroying your fun...
Rindoukan Yellow Belt ...cause I paid 49.95 for lessons at the local strip mall and now I can karakusa online...

Comments

• john4pjohn4p Joined: Posts: 377Registered
    It's very easy to combo (or is it a link?) j.HK into Fei's Ultra - works for forward and neutral jump (neutral j.HK -> Ultra won me quite a few matches...).

Unfortunately it doesn't work for the Super though. And since I'm not dexterous enough to reliably cancel a c.MK into Super, I have this question:

What's a similarly easy way to combo or link into Fei's Super?
  • ChromeXChromeX Joined: Posts: 231Registered
    first off you can actually j.hk>super. aside from that the best ways to land super are off a command grab or just activate using the invincibility to get through an enemy projectile. hit up training mode to get that cr.mk>super down.
    Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
    You should call me Hadouken 'cause I'm down, right, Fierce"
    Thanks - yes, I need to learn this c.mk -> super...

What about far s.HP -> Super, cl.HP -> Super and c.MP -> Super - do they work, too?

Could it be my Super never "comboed" after the j.HK because I use the HP for the Super? Is it faster with LP?
    cr.lp, cr.mk, close st.mk, close st.fp, close st.hk, and cr.mp super cancel, but its silly to learn cr.mp when cr.mk will hit them if their not blocking low, add to the fact cr.mk isnt that much harder. as for all your other options, well most of them are close and the other 2 have less range than cr.mk and do no hit if block standing. jumpin hk>hp>super works fine but you gota be really fast to super cancel off st.fp. try jumpin hk>st.hk>super next time, easier\more dmg. if your too far though you can just do a deep jumpin hp\hk(attack them as late as needed) straight into ulta or super.
    That's almost everything I wanted to know - thanks again.

Last question: is there a difference between Fei's LP Super and the HP Super?
    lp\mp\hp all push him forward more or less. lp being the least range covered and hp being the most.
    What about the startup time? Is it the same for jab, strong and fierce Rekkashinken?
    So there's no difference (assuming the table is correct). Thank you! :tup:
  • Unknown Joined:
    I think the automatic armor-breaking properties of reversals really adds to Fei's RekkaKen poke game. Almost makes focusing vs him at mid-screen a problem. Now just have to figure out more on how that actually works. What makes a special move qualify as a reversal? The number of frames in between when you start a move versus when they started their own? (But if that is the case, why are we able to focus versus Fei at the start of a match if he does RekkaKen at the start of a a match?)

edit: Ok, did a search and a reversal is...

"the ability of a character to go straight from a non-hittable frame (such as being knocked down), directly into an special attack, with no delay or events in between. As an example, if Ken is knocked onto the ground, the player may enter the command for a shoryuken as he is getting up, which Ken will then execute in the very first frame after getting up from the ground.

There are four situations where a character may perform a reversal attack.

1. after getting up from being knocked down.

*wake-up lp rekka vs spaced focus attempts

2. directly after exiting a blockstun state.
    3. directly following your character landing from being hit in the air with a non-knockdown move. (The first frame after landing will be the special.)
    4. directly after exiting a stun state. (Although technically a stun state isn't a non-hittable frame.)"

source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=943709&topic=46518061

see 4:59 of for reversal RekkaKen...here, Fei applied 4 to get a reversal (after leaving hit-stun from the hadoken)

so...you can counterhit a focus; you can focus a lvl1/2 focus; you can armor-break a focus; and, similarly, reversal a focus (all stuff outside of throw range or plainly avoiding). Also, you can use an armor-bearing move through all levels of focus? <-- not Fei of course since he has none

What's up with people getting swept out of Focus attacks?

Why is it that sometimes when you focus a focus attack, and let go of focus, your character sometimes just stands there instead of releasing their own counter focus attack?

my guess is that you have to wait a bit longer to release rather than letting it go the instant you focus their focus?

see 0:32 in Ken obviously holds his focus just a little longer after counter-focusing Ryu; if you have the habit of automatically releasing focus after absorbing focus, you may have also noticed the above 'glitch' that I ask about.
  • Hedhuntr000Hedhuntr000 Whiff Master Joined: Posts: 36Registered
    I actually have one...

Is there any difference in lk, mk, or hk tenshin? I haven't seen anything noticable in training mode.
  • AvengerAvenger Wise One Joined: Posts: 141Registered
    Will c.mk link after tenshin like c.mp?
  • momentouscelticmomentousceltic Joined: Posts: 60Registered
    Will c.mk link after tenshin like c.mp?

yes.
    COME AT ME FROM ANY DIRECTION YOU LIKE!
    Tiger Knee.
    NO NO ANOTHER DIRECTION PLEASE
    -- xS A M U R A Ix
  • halfstrikehalfstrike Young Gifted N Black Joined: Posts: 78Registered
    is there any use for jp.mp. i heard it has high priority
    I gotta be RIGHTEOUS I gotta be ME
    I gotta be CONSCIOUS I gotta be FREE
    I gotta be ABLE I gotta ATTACK
    I gotta be STABLE I gotta be BLACK
    Its hitbox is better than j.HK for some occasions. And it's a bit faster while doing also good damage (j.MP does 80, j.HK does 100).
    from what ive seen in most occasions you can use j.mp, j.hp serves just as well in terms of priority and does more dmg.
  • Unknown Joined:
    what is particularly neat about j.strong is the removal of having to worry about whiffing a jump-in...the air-2-air hit, dash under which has them jumping up and into it's df hitbox...it's slightly longer active hit frames
  • DRCsyntaxDRCsyntax The Ugly Joined: Posts: 876Registered
    I use J.mp against Chun Li selectively; I don't know why, I just feel more comfortable jumping at her with that....
    http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html
    Please read this and understand why it is, that you suck.
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 4,571Registered
    So, if you end up on the defensive end of a blockstring, do you stay in auto block until there is a hole, or do you have to actually hold block until you see the gap? Im asking cuz I'm trying to figure out if you can buffer in a backdash while in autoblock(if it exists) to avoid throw mix-ups.
    fuck AE ranked matches
  • DRCsyntaxDRCsyntax The Ugly Joined: Posts: 876Registered
    If you're caught in a blockstring, I'd suggest timing a FlameKick to FA cancel, but let the FA crumple them, it works more often than not. (As in do the flame kick, cancel with FA and continue with the FA). That's good for corner defense anyway.

As for Blockstun, where you can let go of the controller, I'm not sure if you can buffer into a backdash, I wouldn't suggest trying it anyway...
    http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html
    Please read this and understand why it is, that you suck.
    So, if you end up on the defensive end of a blockstring, do you stay in auto block until there is a hole, or do you have to actually hold block until you see the gap? Im asking cuz I'm trying to figure out if you can buffer in a backdash while in autoblock(if it exists) to avoid throw mix-ups.

this is exactly how you survive gouken. autoguard in this game will block through the entire blockstring for you. so yea you only have to block the first hit then mash back and your fairly safe. a balrog or bison type ultra\super will still get you though. :notice gouken strat:
  • FuumaMonouFuumaMonou Original Playboy Joined: Posts: 13Registered
    How come every once in awhile Shoryuken's switch sides on my cross-up (go one the side that I know they didn't put the input for, because my friend has done it) and nail me since it has priority over my MK?

I've gotten to the poin that I don't even do it anymore against characters that have Shoryuken's because of Shoryuken > Ultra from Ryu or even just the random scrub that throws it on wake-up and it ends up switching sides.

Is my timing just slightly off or something?
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 4,571Registered
    How come every once in awhile Shoryuken's switch sides on my cross-up (go one the side that I know they didn't put the input for, because my friend has done it) and nail me since it has priority over my MK?

I've gotten to the poin that I don't even do it anymore against characters that have Shoryuken's because of Shoryuken > Ultra from Ryu or even just the random scrub that throws it on wake-up and it ends up switching sides.

Is my timing just slightly off or something?

No. Just more of Capcom/Ono-san trying to make the game more beginner friendly. If their last input for srk, or whatever is at the precise moment you cross over the mid point of their char, they get auto correct, you eat srk.
    fuck AE ranked matches
  • sammasamma jeet kun don't Joined: Posts: 422Registered
    Is that true? I've been practicing against my own reversal timing (I'm Ryu), and it seems like the trick is to still be in front of them during their reversal window, but behind them after that time has passed. It has helped me very much, since if I see someone srk the other way without a reversal signal, I know they're too good for that and it's time to mix-up.
    o.-
  • halfstrikehalfstrike Young Gifted N Black Joined: Posts: 78Registered
    What is the most damageing combo you can do after a FA crumple. i usually go with.dash forward cl.hp into rekkas. but i have a feeling theres something more i can be doing
    I gotta be RIGHTEOUS I gotta be ME
    I gotta be CONSCIOUS I gotta be FREE
    I gotta be ABLE I gotta ATTACK
    I gotta be STABLE I gotta be BLACK
  • Unknown Joined:
    i would guess these take the top:

1. combo into hk cw...
    ...s.fierce xx ex flame kick
    ...s.fierce xx mk/hk flame kick xx ex dash cancel f xx hk cw

2. super
    3. ultra

actually, this is an essential area I would have to strengthen to level up my Fei...maximizing on damage/stun options...more combos into hk cw and links/mix-up off of
  • Unknown Joined:
    I've checked on sagat and i've never got the mp into CW to work after a crumple, it seems to go over him for some reason *shrug*

Oh and I know I've said this before but cl fp into hk/ex fk seems to not give all the hits on some characters (sagat again, akuma as well i think? a few others) so i just do rekkas on everyone now. Not ideal, but at least I don't miss.
  • Unknown Joined:
    even when you substitute mk flame kick for hk?
  • FuumaMonouFuumaMonou Original Playboy Joined: Posts: 13Registered
    People can test this to see if I am right or wrong, but when I was playing around with Tenshin, using it after FA resets that damage scaler or w/e that makes bigger comboes do less damage.

So as long as you are good with timing and such, you should always be doing that. If I am wrong, it is also good for playing around with the opponent switching sides and such to safe force them in the corner with HP > Rekkas.
  • Unknown Joined:
    :u: already tested multiple times by multiple people and posted up even with the result of: wrong

would be nice tho...

but once you think about it, the only thing you would really be resetting is damage off of Focus...I don't think Fei has any combos into Lvl2 Focus like, say, guile, rose, or dan who all get more charge time off of fbs

in a stun situation, lvl3 focus vs an opponent who is just recovering from dizzy is always cool tho