Hanzou's "new" art thread

HanzouHanzou Genius of FisticuffsJoined: Posts: 299Registered
Its been awhile...

Nice to see this forum still up and running. I've been off promoting my comic and trying to survive in these hard economic times. Itching to play SFIV and that new capcom vs game too.

In any case, I wanted to post some of my more recent work. Hopefully a new challenge pops up soon, since I'm always up for doing some capcom fan art. :)

Kaifire.jpg
This is the hero of my webcomic, Kai. Capcom fans may recognize the pose..:lol:

imcom2.jpg
This is a reduced commission I did last month. The customer wanted me to draw Iron Man, War Machine, and some obscure villains. Had a lot of fun with this one.

ashenvalepng.jpg
This my buddy's character from World of Warcraft. I'm really proud at how the background came out in this one.

Xdark.jpg
A picture I did for an art competition. The goal was to draw pirates finding buried treasure.

B10LONG2.jpg
Just finished this one for my nephews. Ben 10 is their favorite cartoon.

Anakarispicsmall.jpg
A personal fave of mine. Old mummy Anakaris holding it down! One day I'm going to make a Darkstalkers poster, and use this as a center piece.

Anyways, that it for now. Thanks for looking. I'll post some more stuff up soon over the next few weeks. Got a pretty full plate ahead of me. :)

Comments

• Unknown Joined:
    I dig that first one cool stuff
  • Dreaded FistDreaded Fist Joined: Posts: 1,913Registered
    hey one of the old guys from awhile ago!

welcome back!

I dig I dig. You've gotten a lot better I can tell. One minor thing I notice is that Ben10 has his hand like he's rubbing the fire guy's head. Other than that the poster is kickin. And I do like how the background for the WoW piece turned out although the character doesn't fit color and style-wise. I notice you don't have any cast shadows on the ground for your figures. Is this intentional? I think if you throw in even some really quick and basic cast shadows, they will ground your figures. Kudos and good luck with the comic, mate.
  • HanzouHanzou Genius of Fisticuffs Joined: Posts: 299Registered
    hey one of the old guys from awhile ago!

welcome back!

I dig I dig. You've gotten a lot better I can tell. One minor thing I notice is that Ben10 has his hand like he's rubbing the fire guy's head. Other than that the poster is kickin. And I do like how the background for the WoW piece turned out although the character doesn't fit color and style-wise. I notice you don't have any cast shadows on the ground for your figures. Is this intentional? I think if you throw in even some really quick and basic cast shadows, they will ground your figures. Kudos and good luck with the comic, mate.

Thanks for the Kudos DF. Yeah, I do have a problem doing ground shadows. However I plan to work on that to better ground my figures. This style is still pretty new, so I'm working out all the kinks.
    Here's another pic I've done recently. I did it for my niece for Christmas;

mUSTANGPOSTER2.jpg
  • Bland_WolfBland_Wolf Are You OK? Joined: Posts: 419Registered
    i'm totally seeing a shinkiro influence in the roy mustang gift. but even greater is your own style. i'm sure your niece would flip ^^
    i think the yellow stripes on his shoulder look a little flat. just the slightest bit of definition would help. like i'm wondering if they're metal or fabric?
    the shirt pocket flap (i think that's what it is? ) could come over the edge of the rest of the shirt to give it a little bit more depth.
    these are really more like "you missed a spot" ya know? overall it's very awesome.
    i'm also wondering if you could've portrayed the creation of fire a little differently, more fire-like instead of like lightening. on the other hand it takes the composition to another level.
    once again, killer stuff man.
    ~dizzy my future, silly my way~
  • Dreaded FistDreaded Fist Joined: Posts: 1,913Registered
    I agree with bland_wolf, however I think those are suppose to be sparks not fire. I think it would be really cool if you have his fingers in the post-snap position instead of pre-snap. either way, your neice will love the piece.
  • Bland_WolfBland_Wolf Are You OK? Joined: Posts: 419Registered
    i just thought lightening was all. but thinking of them as sparks makes it all the better. looking at it a second time, what's there works best i think. i agree about the snap too. ^^; here i am snapping my fingers like a loser to see how it'd look. but i always forget to pay attention to those small things.
    ~dizzy my future, silly my way~
    Thanks for the comments/crits guys. That's why I like coming here. You guys are honest. :)

Here's some more;

smallffcolor.jpg
    Fantastic Four. Surprised I didn't post this up earlier...

dwc2dark.jpg
    Liberty Meadows. Done for an art competition.

PAGE24wod.jpg
    Page from my webcomic Psychic Soldier Kai
  • Arkayne17Arkayne17 facebook.com/redghostrage Joined: Posts: 2,758Registered
    the coloring is real nice man.

Very Very nicely done.
    The new home of unique.

www.red-ghost.com

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • pootnanniespootnannies hypocrite Joined: Posts: 2,154Registered
    whoa, nice job on that chick from liberty meadows
  • CptMuntaCptMunta 3 Green Bars Joined: Posts: 1,216Registered
    Your style is so tight vibrant and tidy. Love it. My colouring/drawing always comes out so messy. Love the Fantastic Four one the most.
  • souji5souji5 You got Paid son Joined: Posts: 849Registered
    That Ben 10 is poster material! very nice
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Here's a character from my comic;

Hunter_by_Hanzou.jpg

And the latest page;

Page42wod.jpg

May start doing my comic in color one day...
  • DuckHoleDuckHole Let's Have a War! Joined: Posts: 632Registered
    Im really liking the WoW elf.
    Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions! Say it bitch!

• Unknown Joined:
    The WoW picture, what class? Warrior? Rouge? Just curious. Looks AMAZING! :woot:
    The WoW picture, what class? Warrior? Rouge? Just curious. Looks AMAZING! :woot:

NE Warrior. Or Mohawk if you listen to Mr. T. :D

Here's two of my characters from my web comic. It comes from the most recent page. I'm considering doing the book in color, but for now I'm keeping things in B/W.

Holdenrelm.jpg
  • OuijaKillaOuijaKilla Joined: Posts: 70Registered
    nice
  • InafuneInafune Joined: Posts: 9Registered
    I really like your overall style, and use of colors. These are some really great pieces. It would be great to see more stuff from you, keep up the good work!
  • rookrook amused observer Joined: Posts: 1,564Registered, Moderators
    dope colors as always, Hanzou :)
    square peg. round hole. large hammer.
    http://rook-over-here.deviantart.com
    Thanks guys. I'm currently working on a Strider pic. You should see that very soon. :smile:
    bigpsyposterltjpg21.jpg

Just finished this for the SPACE convention. Pretty proud of it since its the first time I rendered most of these characters in color. The actual print came out really nice, so I'm happy. Now I need to get some sleep... :(
  • AriaAria The Origination Joined: Posts: 3,471Registered
    I really like the Anakaris, Hellboy and Fantastic 4 pieces. Keep it up!
    YOMI TACTICS TEAM/KAGURA OFFENSE FORCE
    Aria||Ephidel
    I really like the Anakaris, Hellboy and Fantastic 4 pieces. Keep it up!

Thank you sir. :)
    DSbig-1.jpg

My latest for the artbook. I wanted to do something with that old Anakaris pic, so I decided to add two other favorites and just go a bit crazy with the FX. As always, thanks for looking.
  • Tokoyama2000Tokoyama2000 Joined: Posts: 664Registered
    on the last one, i like the foreshortening on morrigan, but i think her lips are too thin and wide.

your stuff is so vibrant, i love it!
    http://www.edwinhuang.com <--- portfolio site
    ironpinky <--- twitter
  • EDDUREDDUR Moluccan Joined: Posts: 946Registered
    That looks very good, i wish i could use colours like that!
    " and while the learning curve might be steep, the time and effort you put into it won't be obliterated by mindless mashing of uppercuts or ridiculous comeback mechanics. If you want to be the King of Fighters, you have to earn it."

KOF XIII Review - Haunts
    Love both the Victor and Morrigan art, but it might be just me but I think Morrigan's nose looks a tiny bit weird to me. Great stuff, though. :tup:
    Aria||Ephidel
    Love both the Victor and Morrigan art, but it might be just me but I think Morrigan's nose looks a tiny bit weird to me. Great stuff, though. :tup:

Thanks for that. I fixed the nose and lips on Morrigan. Hopefully she looks better now. :tup:

You can see a bigger version here; http://hanzou.deviantart.com/art/Darkstalkers-3-122458343
    Yep, looks a lot better now. :smile:
    Aria||Ephidel