Alpha 3: Q & A

Comments

• chexx05chexx05 Joined: Posts: 181Registered
    kinda of confused on setting the dipswitches the for the time-release. i went to the link you posted saw the codes. your codes say "Enter test mode, go into input test and enter the following code" where is test mode when i load up ggpo. by test mode do you mean loading up ggpofba?
  • KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,925Registered
    Hit F2 when you load up the game on the emulator.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
  • Xenozip.Xenozip. what a nincowpoop Joined: Posts: 3,942Registered
    Breaking news, this just in, hot off the press http://a.imageshack.us/img824/7782/sfa3hitboxes.png
    Let's play.
  • MiddlekickMiddlekick r.mika stalker Joined: Posts: 599Registered
    Amazing. That is extremely good news. Can you post how this is achieved?
    Everything you need can be found here: Hitbox - Vampire Savior Wiki

The emulators and script now also work for SFA3. Though I think you will have to edit the script to adjust the DRAW_DELAY value because currently it's not synced correctly for SFA3. And you probably want to play on normal speed, not turbo, in order to avoid frame skipping.

sfa3a
    sfa3b
    sfa3c
    sfa3d
    sfa3e
    sfa3f
    Let's play.
    Brilliant, Xenozip. Thanks a bunch.

For all the hue and cry about SFA3's hit boxes, most of them look pretty sensible and sane. Having said that, there's certainly some weird stuff out there: Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/nccodyp . Top screen shot is for Kyokuji. Anyway, Cody's jumping Forward is a pretty tricky move to cross-up with. This might go some way to explaining why.

Edit: It looks as as all SFA3 cross-ups behave this way - i.e having the rear part of the attack appearing first, then the 'front' part after.
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,256Registered
    oh that's really awesome! is there an Alpha2 version?
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,172Registered
    Ehh, having trouble with the bushin chain only getting two hits and three inconsistently when i piano mp and hp after the mp. Can anyone help me out?
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • Mr_AwesomeMr_Awesome Joined: Posts: 157Registered
    Ehh, having trouble with the bushin chain only getting two hits and three inconsistently when i piano mp and hp after the mp. Can anyone help me out?

The timing's very precise and doesn't respond well to tapping on hp. All you can do is learn the timing. Be prepared to lose a lot in the meantime, though. Learning Guy is a long process that involves getting beat up a lot.
    I'm trying to learn in training mode so that I don't lose constantly.
    Used to use Aism Ryu, still trying to learn sakura and occaisionally messing with cody/akuma/chun/gief/dan.
    only good srk wiki is cody. -_-... considering that this was around shortly after valle hit it big in alpha 3.... there should at least be some good shoto stuff in the wiki. it treats ken like he's his 3s version, all there are are super hit confirms.
    of course xenozip has posted a lot of good vidoes on vcs and combos, but honestly that isn't the entire game here. anywhere else have some REALLY good english zero3 info?
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 3,670Registered
    Valle began making a name for himself in '98 when the game was new, and SRK wasn't around until 2000. The SRK wiki didn't exist until probably 2006.

Anyway, what kind of info are you looking for?
    "as long as it's his dog, anybody that believes in civil liberties should defend a man that just wants to fuck his dog in the privacy of his own home."
    -thurst
    I know when he got big. I know when srk started. Didn't know the wiki was that new.

Just really good info outside of combos for sfa3 in website form, where the info is printed. Should be this site, but we got vc's et5c and cody, although honestly a3 isn't incredibly hard to figure out. And I've been trying to do the bushin chain but I can't seem to get it down, I'm doing better on the third hit though, I just mash it really quickly after the second... Though I'd really like to be able to do it proficiently. Any advice?

EDIT: found a v akuma gamefaq that's pretty good. I'm wary about that site, I saw sakura's and it kinda sucked.
    If you want to see a good Guy in action, look for videos with Guy by a dude named Kumadaru on YouTube. It's inspiring stuff.
    Xenozip., can I make a script request for SFA1 and SFZ2'/SFA2G.
  • MarbleMarble エバラ HUGOOO Joined: Posts: 253Registered
    A very long time ago I tried to pick up this game with Sak, however it didn't work out as I got into the SFIII series at the same time. However I'm now back, and am keen to pick up Z-Guy. If anyone could help me out with questions regarding him as well as the game mechanics, it would be much appreciated.

The way the juggle system in this game works is that once you're in a juggle state, you cannot tech out until your opponent returns to neutral, right? That explains why I am seeing Guy players cancel anti-airs into his uh... demon flip and Ryus doing anti-air jab xx hurricane kick comboing.

Why is Guy's level 2 punch super the most popular choice to cancel from anti-air low strong? Is there a reason, besides saving meter for Alpha Counter?

Are there any good follow ups to a level 3 kick super besides bushin chain? (I would look for some myself but for the time being I don't have a training mode.) Also, do supers put people in an untechable juggle state? I can't understand why else you would be able to juggle after the super.

What Guy players are good to watch? I already know about Kiyo, Inbe and Shinya. Are there any match vids online of good western Guy players?

Cheers.
    A very long time ago I tried to pick up this game with Sak, however it didn't work out as I got into the SFIII series at the same time. However I'm now back, and am keen to pick up Z-Guy. If anyone could help me out with questions regarding him as well as the game mechanics, it would be much appreciated.

The way the juggle system in this game works is that once you're in a juggle state, you cannot tech out until your opponent returns to neutral, right? That explains why I am seeing Guy players cancel anti-airs into his uh... demon flip and Ryus doing anti-air jab xx hurricane kick comboing.

Why is Guy's level 2 punch super the most popular choice to cancel from anti-air low strong? Is there a reason, besides saving meter for Alpha Counter?

Are there any good follow ups to a level 3 kick super besides bushin chain? (I would look for some myself but for the time being I don't have a training mode.) Also, do supers put people in an untechable juggle state? I can't understand why else you would be able to juggle after the super.

What Guy players are good to watch? I already know about Kiyo, Inbe and Shinya. Are there any match vids online of good western Guy players?

Cheers.

You can follow up the level 3 kick super with a mp, hp, whatever, but the chain is generally more useful.
  • El_CorEl_Cor Tiers Are For Queers Joined: Posts: 296Registered
    What are anyone's thoughts on R. Mika's general gameplay. Let's pretend Vism doesn't exist. Standard wise, what are her main points? I see her poking and AA game is pretty decent, and she has good combo potential with her Flying Peaches. I also know that 3 Level 1 Supers, the headbashing one, is better than using just one level 3 super. I've not had much success, however, with her SPD, though this is mainly because I don't understand its speed all too well. I just heard that her SPD can be an easy follow up against a grounded opponent. Don't know if that's Vism exclusive or not.
    http://shoryuken.com/f2/grappler-appreciation-thread-once-i-grab-ya-youre-goin-ride-255690/#post9774544

Short version: A-ISM is her best mode. She has a few okay normals, okay anti-air and okay set-ups for her 360. She has average to completely hopeless matches, but the fact that her 720 Super can be escaped really hurts her potential. The QCFx2+K Super can be as versatile as V-ISM.

R.Mika thread: http://shoryuken.com/f233/alpha-3-r-mika-91439/
  • Iczer oneIczer one chillin' at Buxi Bar Joined: Posts: 216Registered
    Middlekick wrote:
    On one hand I can appreciate her purity as a grappler - relying on set-ups and tricks to land her command throws - but on the other hand, her awful moves and their strange weaknesses ruined what could have been a thoroughly enjoyable character to play.

Sounds like you gave up on Mika :<

@El_Cor
    Personally i think Mika is one of the most interesting characters, mostly because of her normals. They're so funky and unique if you look at the frame data and properties/hitboxes. What Middlekick says is very true though, she has some really tough matches against characters that can constantly force her into a position where she can't push ANY button because she's so slow (normals AND walk speed) or her moves just don't allow it (safety issues). She's one of the easiest characters to hit with a VC because of that (slow / easy to bait). Being too aggressive was one of my biggest mistakes when i started playing her, you have to be careful and make positioning your main concern. Because of all the stuff you have to keep in mind she's tough to play against an experienced player, so if you're new to the game it's best to play a more friendly character first to get into it.

She's not horrible though. Things that stand out:

- The qcfx2 K freestyle super is on of the very best supers in the game, and the second best lvl.1 (after Rose soul illusion, of course!). It's a 90% safe reversal and can create some interesting situations. Can be comboed from f MK at all levels and from 2-3 chained (crouching) lights at lvl.2/3.

- f MK is a fantastic normal. It goes over lows, great range, little recovery (+0 on block iirc), can be cancelled on reaction (like if you see a c.MK at the same time you stick out that f MK, cancel into freestyle super), nice hitbox/priority, sets up a sneaky 360 P even from pretty far away, nice tool for okizeme (4 active frames, can be cancelled into both 360s for a solid mixup).. they even thought it would be a good idea to "balance" it by making it non-cancellable in A3 Upper, haha ^^ Still, use wisely because it has significant startup.

- c.HK slide is a fast low (7 frames startup, her second fastest normal) with great range. You pretty much HAVE to use it, since it's her only low hitting move beside c.LK (which is okay but not fear-inducing enough to use it much), but has quite a bit of recovery and is NOT safe if you don't use it from a sweet spot. You NEED this move, trust me! You have to make them look out for it, or else they walk in and out as they please (since they won't need to crouch block and fear a knockdown). And a knockdown is very important in general but especially for Rainslow Mika, to get close for mixups.

- Solid anti airs. c.MP especially, it's almost impossible to VC through an aa c.MP aimed at an opponent in midair, with it's high hitbox + little recovery + forward movement. Very good to use out of a forward movement, except against very strong jumpers like Gouki, Gief or Chun. For those you need s.MP (at least trades with pretty much everything, but slow/easy to activate through) or c./s.LP (xx qcb P/K for an extra hit or for escaping VC activation if you're standing right).

- She's good in the air. j.HK is one of the best air-to-ground-normals in the game with it's great angle+range, can punish fireballs from pretty far, stick it out early for a counter hit with extra hitstun and combo into slide. Not a lot of characters can VC you out of a well placed j.HK from a safe distance, despite her jump being not very fast. j.HP and j.MK have a nice hitbox/priority, as does her d HP splash. Straight jump HK is pretty good also.

- Dependable alpha counter in A-Ism. As long as Mika has 1 meter for AC/lvl.1 freestyle super you have your get-out-of-jail-free card.
    always coming back
  • KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,925Registered
    Mika's way too unsafe in general. Just about anything she does can get her smashed pretty badly if she guesses wrong or mis-times just a little. Blocked slide = death against Cody, Sodom and a lot of other characters.

All her specials besides her basic command throw are really gimmicky too. She's fun to play, but not competitive in any sense of the word.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
    V-Cody might actually be her worst matchup, for two reasons:

1) Because of her lack of a threatening low move, she can't force any offense on V-Cody AT ALL. All that Cody has to do is stay in a range where c.HK is unsafe and he's set. It's almost too easy for him to activate against Mika.
    2) His jump is hard to handle for Mika, you will rarely be in a position to use c.MP effectively against Cody, and her other aa moves are dangerous to use (as a solid V-Cody will always be able to activate with his ability to rebuild meter so easily).

It's just horrible ._. i'd rather play against 10 Goukis than just 1 V-Cody in a tournament.
    always coming back
  • Nanaya ShikiNanaya Shiki Back in love with her again! Joined: Posts: 191Registered
    Mika's way too unsafe in general. Just about anything she does can get her smashed pretty badly if she guesses wrong or mis-times just a little. Blocked slide = death against Cody, Sodom and a lot of other characters.

All her specials besides her basic command throw are really gimmicky too. She's fun to play, but not competitive in any sense of the word.

I couldn't agree with this statement more.
    V-Cody might actually be her worst matchup, for two reasons:

1) Because of her lack of a threatening low move, she can't force any offense on V-Cody AT ALL. All that Cody has to do is stay in a range where c.HK is unsafe and he's set. It's almost too easy for him to activate against Mika.
    2) His jump is hard to handle for Mika, you will rarely be in a position to use c.MP effectively against Cody, and her other aa moves are dangerous to use (as a solid V-Cody will always be able to activate with his ability to rebuild meter so easily).

It's just horrible ._. i'd rather play against 10 Goukis than just 1 V-Cody in a tournament.

Never thought about that before...
    Kyokushi...Nanaya!!!

Me + Metalmike = 1 on 1 Government World Champions
  • Xx Thomahawk xXXx Thomahawk xX aka The Graveyard Theory aka Garlic the 3rd Joined: Posts: 403Registered
    Any tips on dealing with zangief with guy? Is there a reliable anti air I can use without trading damage other than super or occasional st.RH or st.lk? Also should I just completely forget about the elbow drop in this matchup, it gets stuffed 90% of the time with lariat, or is it spacing dependant? It overall seems like a very hard matchup.
    Love for the Game!!! Live for the Fight!!!
    Your main aa's with Guy against Gief are c.MP and s.LK, which are fairly consistent and you can cancel both into roll-grab / hurricane / super for additional damage. V-Gief will also have a hard time activating through those because you can whiff cancel them into hurricane (and hope he isn't landing -> lariat) or roll (fast escape). Also use far s.HP (beside s.MK) as a poke, it's really effective against Gief and catches him early if he tries to jump. Don't EVER jump in on him, you don't need to. Basic poke / aa strategy will get you far, just focus on positioning.
    always coming back
  • Xx Thomahawk xXXx Thomahawk xX aka The Graveyard Theory aka Garlic the 3rd Joined: Posts: 403Registered
    ^^ Nice thanks for that info. I'll put that cr.mp to good use.
    Love for the Game!!! Live for the Fight!!!
  • RenegadeRenegade Joined: Posts: 3,008Registered
    Played this a good deal at magfest and had a great time. Mainly went with the old standby's of A-Gief and X-Chun. Scrub Killers extroidinaire.

I used to play this game competitively, and never got to the point of using V-ism. In fact, it always came down that I was one of the last non V-ism players in tourneys.

I was kinda wondering... do you guys think this game is better with or without Vism?

Vism "is good for the game" points:
    more normals to use (sakura's B+HP)
    different specials (Vega's flipkick)
    fun combos
    punish mistakes hard
    rewards execution
    meter becomes vitally important
    beats down scrub fighter alpha 3 (chun/gief/sim/blanka)
    somewhat increases character viability

Vism "is bad for the game":
    Unblockables
    Infinites
    Runaway+build meter tactics
    Using Vism just to Counter Activate Vism
    Low damage on normals (so only Visms do damage)
    V-Sakura

Thoughts? Opinions?
    http://rvatournaments.com/

Your one stop shop for RVA, Virginia, and East Coast Fighting game news and tournament updates.

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • bill_collectorbill_collector Joined: Posts: 7Registered
    Played this a good deal at magfest and had a great time. Mainly went with the old standby's of A-Gief and X-Chun. Scrub Killers extroidinaire.

I used to play this game competitively, and never got to the point of using V-ism. In fact, it always came down that I was one of the last non V-ism players in tourneys.

I was kinda wondering... do you guys think this game is better with or without Vism?

Vism "is good for the game" points:
    more normals to use (sakura's B+HP)
    different specials (Vega's flipkick)
    fun combos
    punish mistakes hard
    rewards execution
    meter becomes vitally important
    beats down scrub fighter alpha 3 (chun/gief/sim/blanka)
    somewhat increases character viability

Vism "is bad for the game":
    Unblockables
    Infinites
    Runaway+build meter tactics
    Using Vism just to Counter Activate Vism
    Low damage on normals (so only Visms do damage)
    V-Sakura

Thoughts? Opinions?

do you know anyone that does not use those B**S** tactics in v-ism mode .... activate-runaway-build meter-loop ??? it's the same any time i play vs. v-ism ... all night all day .... this just sucks and screws the game ... so what do others do ??? they pick up v-ism too to counter activate ... B***S*** !!!
    A4L
  • MarKO XMarKO X StreetFightinSmasher Joined: Posts: 13Registered
    do you know anyone that does not use those B**S** tactics in v-ism mode .... activate-runaway-build meter-loop ??? it's the same any time i play vs. v-ism ... all night all day .... this just sucks and screws the game ... so what do others do ??? they pick up v-ism too to counter activate ... B***S*** !!!

I don't use v-ism, and I do get frustrated at its use, but it is entirely possible to beat v-ism with a- and/or x-ism.
    Like, I recently learned that if Akuma tried to hit you with the unblockable, you can alpha counter it before it gets unblockable. You just gotta persist sometimes.

Additionally, don't jump.

As far as whether the game would be better without v-ism, I would think so initially, but I'm not sure about a lot of the matchups in this game, so I'm not sure how hard characters like Gief, Sim, and Guy would own without a v-ism to keep them in check.

I think that it would be better to modify v-ism rather than get rid of it altogether. One thing I would do is remove it's aerial activation invincibility frames, and another thing I would do is get rid of whiffed throw attempts building meter (not just for v-ism, but the whole game, to be fair). To get rid of everything that is v-ism seems a little harsh to me (now, anyway, but I totally wouldn't have said that 2 years ago), because getting in those 100% combos do require skill. The thing is that setup for a lot of them (i.e. the activation of v-ism in the right situation) isn't as difficult.
  • bill_collectorbill_collector Joined: Posts: 7Registered
    beating v-ism using a-ism is feasable .. there is no question about it ... but not evry average-joe (such as myself) is able to achieve that consistently ... even if the opponent is of the same skill-level.

many things like you said in v-ism are anoying and should have been at some time a subject for improvment but they are not that problematic ... the worst thing is the speed at witch the meter builds up ... it's ike in no time at 100% again and it give the v-ism user the chance to repeate those anoying things on and on and on...

even if the setups for CCs are quite easy, i must agree that it requires some amount of skills, depending on the played char, to perform those devastating ones.
    A4L