Alpha 3: Q & A

Comments

• metalmike31216metalmike31216 The Wall Joined: Posts: 1,110Registered
    Are there any charge characters on the normal arcade version that don't require V-ism to win?

Boxer. Blanka.
    :coffee:
    Me + Nanaya Shiki = 1 on 1 Government WORLD CHAMPIONS
  • TwinSnak3sTwinSnak3s Joined: Posts: 93Registered
    Anybody got any tips for somebody learning Boxer? I've searched this forum and couldn't find anything.
    "if i want to see a boxer winning for 30 minutes i'd youtube ali in his prime"
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 3,670Registered
    Standing Fierce is good, though it whiffs vs some crouching characters.

Crouching medium is good.

If you abuse dash punches (also whiff vs some crouching characters) or standing Fierce/Roundhouse sometimes people will start mashing jab like they would vs Blanka's Rolling Attack or Honda's headbutt. When they do this you can A) walk/jump forward and close distance, or sweep, or dash punch sweep, or super, or jump in, etc depending on what range you're at.

Only A-ISM Balrog can do the headbutt move in normal arcade A3, and he can only do it as a reversal after blocking/being hit/waking up. This, too, will sail over some crouching characters if they're low enough to the ground, ditto is AC in A-ISM.

Crouching Fierce can trade with Zangief's splashes. Jumping Jab is good and can beat/trade with lariat at the right height.

Gigaton Blow (A-ISM-only kick super) is level 3 only, and kinda sucks, though it has limited uses.

Crazy Buffalo (regular rush punch super) is pretty fast on startup. Loses to deep sweeps and other low attacks, but if they're sitting out there hanging around it will tag whiffs. Level 1 version has very little recovery time if blocked, so you can play stupid mixup games (super -> pokes, super -> super etc). It is not genuinely safe, but some characters have a hard time punishing.

Dash Upper, crouching Fierce, standing mediums and lights and jumping lights all work as anti-air to some degree. All of them you want to do early, especially Dash Upper. You can cancel standing light/medium attacks into Dash Upper for more damage, and you can combo standing mediums into Turn Punch for good damage, but it usually isn't worth the effort (ie. if your attack trades, you let go of the buttons you were holding and you lose your charge).

X-Balrog doesn't have the dash punch sweep or the second dash upper (charge back, :dr: + punch or kick, respectively), but his standing Fierce hitboxes are a little better (and hit more characters mid?) and one of his dash punches also hits crouching characters, IIRC.
    "as long as it's his dog, anybody that believes in civil liberties should defend a man that just wants to fuck his dog in the privacy of his own home."
    -thurst
  • MiddlekickMiddlekick r.mika stalker Joined: Posts: 599Registered
    Level 1 version has very little recovery time if blocked, so you can play stupid mixup games (super -> pokes, super -> super etc). It is not genuinely safe, but some characters have a hard time punishing.

- 11 on block; the least safest version of his Crazy Buffalo.
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 3,670Registered
    :confused:
    I may have been partially confusing it with Birdie's super...

Though IIRC Balrog's level 1 isn't bad from the right distance, which I should have specified.

edit: no, I'm just wrong.
    "as long as it's his dog, anybody that believes in civil liberties should defend a man that just wants to fuck his dog in the privacy of his own home."
    -thurst
  • TrygonTrygon Pupununu Joined: Posts: 67Registered
    I cannot find the thread that has the Dip Switch for defaulting all the games to original arcade settings... So could someone post them again please? I remember there being settings to make A3U play like Original A3 which I would like to do the most actually.

Edit : For the Alpha Anthology.

Edit : Found it, I just feel dumb now..

I will ask a real question though, Since I still am inexperienced in this game/s how can I tell when I crouch canceling correctly?
  • Xenozip.Xenozip. what a nincowpoop Joined: Posts: 3,942Registered
    It was on page two:
    All Dip Switch Settings Revealed!!!

For SFA3 select 980727ver then toggle star 2-15 to unlit.

For Upper the thread you're looking for is here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=125036

And I explained what setting to use here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=4591924&postcount=29
    Let's play.
  • ArcadeLegendsArcadeLegends Arcade Legacy Joined: Posts: 1,670Registered
    Can anyone point me in the direction for tournament rules for ALPHA 3?
  • TrygonTrygon Pupununu Joined: Posts: 67Registered
    It was on page two:
    All Dip Switch Settings Revealed!!!

For SFA3 select 980727ver then toggle star 2-15 to unlit.

For Upper the thread you're looking for is here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=125036

And I explained what setting to use here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=4591924&postcount=29

Thanks helping me once again Xenozip.

Edit : I also have the same question as a few other people in regards to making Super Gem Fighter and A2 as close to arcade perfect for their dip switches, does anyone happen to know the correct switches for those games?

Might as well add, what about making A2G as clost to A2 as possible too?
    Uhh, don't ask me, ask in the A2 thread or something.
    Let's play.
  • DaDesiCanadianDaDesiCanadian orangecat av! Joined: Posts: 6,926Registered
    Does A-Chun have a crouch-cancel?

Is it something like counter-hit air to air j.fierce, cc j.fierce x n?
    http://tinyurl.com/gtasfchannel <-- One click link for the Toronto/Southern Ontario Street Fighter chatroom!

Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
    LOL Also, 99% implies there are at least 100 people that know me you tard. You really should invest in a proper education instead of being a bum.
  • KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,925Registered
    Jump RH into the corner until they're dizzy.
    Everyone has CC combos to some extent.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,172Registered
    hi. trying to de noobify myself and my rep.
    how do you do the vism counter? is it like the aism one?

In response to Lord Auto's question about Guy- bushin combo and juggling- learn them. Guy is generally a beastly character over all- he can almost pull vism stunts in aism!
    Some basic guy: lp, mp hp- the almighty bushin combo. this links into some of his specials and does decent damage. do it quickly with about a half second press btw each hit.
    Try the Guy forum for this please, you get neg repped otherwise.
    look at my rep, i know from experience.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
    Is the PS2 version of A3 a decent port?

yes. not many changes. essentially the ps1 version.
    The PS1 is probably the most changed version from arcade SFA3. It is not like the the PS2 version.
    oh, really?
    what was different? ccing?
    I wasn't all that into sf advanced tactics back in 98 or so. Heck i didn't know and i didnt care.

Uh so is anyone in here a cody player?
    and whats up with those unlockable isms? Like "saikyo" ism?
  • KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,925Registered
    All you need to know is that none of the ports are worth your time besides Alpha Anthology.

The hidden ISMs generally have too many downsides to make them worthwhile in competitive play (Saikyo mode is a joke altogether).

The thing that makes VCs so dangerous is not just their damage but their versatility. The smallest whiff punish becomes potentially round-ending with a good mid-screen VC, and certain characters have set-ups that are inescapable without an alpha counter stocked.
    Try the Guy forum for this please, you get neg repped otherwise.

Uh.
    so is anyone in here a cody player?

I would not recommend Cody to people just trying to learn the game. He has a very tiny guard bar, which can quickly result in you getting guard crush looped if your footsies aren't extremely solid. Some of his normals are good defensively in that they have good priority, decent reach and function well as pre-emptive anti-airs (his RH is comparable to Bison's in SF4), but his lack of any good ranged lows makes it hard for him to mount much of a threatening ground offense unless you're good at utilizing his hopkick and low ruffian properly (predictable usage of either will earn you a sweep/jump-in and throw your guard into danger afterwards).

His projectile is solid in terms of covering a wide arc but its upward angle makes it useless for staving off full-screen charging attacks like rolls, headbutts, dash punches, etc and very risky against small, fast-moving characters like Karin and Chun'.

Where Cody excels is in whiff punishing from long-range with V-ISM, strong anti-air normals, punishing/limiting projectile attempts with his dodge, high damage off air counter hits with his high priority jump-ins and pressuring in the corner. Again, maneuvering your opponent into the corner will be difficult without a well-established footsie game.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
    thanks. i have another q.
    after you beat the game once and unlock upper, there are these strange new isms that are unlocked, like "saikyo" ism. What do these do?

Also, sometimes I'll pull off a special (like SRK) and my ch will flash white. Is this a reward for perfect directional execution or something? If so, what is the damage difference btw the white flash and "normal" specials?
    Questions about the different modes of play and about counterhits are answered in Kao Megura's FAQ on GameFAQs
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/game/564869.html
    Let's play.
  • dwddwd Joined: Posts: 377Registered
    anyone know how to beat guy with adon? i swear to god, he must be a complete counterpick. basically when a guy player corners you, it gets really really difficult to get out - he has insanely long combos that just eat you up and as soon as he puts you on lockdown you are just toast
    Check out my youtube vid:
  • Unknown Joined:
    Well i've found some akuma combos but there's one that i've been workin on if u do a tatsumaki senppu kyaku (d, b. k) to a shroyuken ( f, d, f, p) can u do a zankuu fireball to it for more damage?
  • otterotter PSN: MyBodyIsInfested Joined: Posts: 2,538Registered
    I have a few questions that have surely been answered in the last 147 pages, but if you guys could be patient I'd appreciate any advice.

1. What options do you have after flipping? I've seen people airblock, but really rarely. Usually they just end up getting hit and re-juggled. Perhaps because people just prefer to mash punches when they tech and then get counter hit?

2. Are you invincible during the flip animation? It seems there is alot of potential to bait flips and then anti air them before they can attack/block.

3. I just read James Chen's system guide which said that you can never juggle after a sweep. However, what if the sweep happens to be a counter hit?

4. Do guard crushes deal different amounts of stun at different times? When I crush the opponent I barely have time to stick out a sweep before they recover. But I've seen videos of players crush, JUMP IN, and combo. Why are they stunned so long?!

5. Charlie's primary VC is st.RH, Knee Bazooka (whiff), light Flash Kick right? How do you retain charge while hitting forward to perform Knee Bazooka?

6. Are there any Charlie threads still in existence? Preferably that don't ONLY deal with VCs.

Thanks!
    -snip-
    1. You don't need to mash punches to tech. You can hold the punches and/or a direction after the last hit of a combo to automatically tech when it's possible to tech. So if you press and hold punches after each hit of a combo then you'll just automatically tech if/when you're able to.

2. You can't block right away. You're invulnerable during a tech for a short duration, and unable to block for a short duration. But the invulnerability wares off before you're able to block.

In other words: First you start as invulnerable, and then you're vulnerable and can't block, then you can block.

You can perform specials and supers/VC activations immediately (first frame) after airteching even while still invulnerable, that can let you escape certain tech traps, but you can't block for a few frames after you become vulnerable.

Watch this video (and follow the link in the description for a bigger explanation):

3. That's a generalization. You can juggle after a sweep during a VC if it hits as anti-air like Chun or Cody c.HK. But if it hits them on the ground you can't juggle (but they can airtech if you hit neutral). There's a few glitches that break this rule like Gen's Jakouha.

4. Uhh..

5. During VC mode charges are reduced to about two frames. You don't need to charge to do somersault during VC, just tap down then up and kick.

6. Probably, try advanced forum search. You can't search all of SRK but you can search the SFAA forum specifically.
    Let's play.
  • otterotter PSN: MyBodyIsInfested Joined: Posts: 2,538Registered
    Wow, quick reply! BTW was #4 confusing or just a stupid question?
    Been asking around, I just wanna see sakuras aism bnbs.
  • El_CorEl_Cor Tiers Are For Queers Joined: Posts: 296Registered
    Been asking around, I just wanna see sakuras aism bnbs.

Jump in MK or HK, standing jab, cr. jab, shouryken. Sometimes, if you're quick enough and use the light shoryuken, you can follow it up with a fierce hadoken, though I've been able to use a MP version and still hit. LP is for when you want to punish people who like to tech. They'll either have to block or be stuck where they are.
  • LOLtrollLOLtroll Joined: Posts: 14Registered
    whats the easiest way to do t hawks 360? tick into it? it seems like 360s are hard to do in alpha
    Jump in MK or HK, standing jab, cr. jab, shouryken. Sometimes, if you're quick enough and use the light shoryuken, you can follow it up with a fierce hadoken, though I've been able to use a MP version and still hit. LP is for when you want to punish people who like to tech. They'll either have to block or be stuck where they are.

Sakura's main combo is crouching short x 1~2-> standing Short-> Fierce Shou Ken. After landing this combo, she should attempt to cross the opponent up on wake-up with her jumping Forward and attempt the combo again. This is a her cross-up loop. You can also walk forward after the Shou Ken to spot enemy attempts to roll away, and punish with crouching short-> standing Short-> Fierce Shou Ken.

If the crouching Shorts are blocked, end the sequence with close standing Fierce-> Hadouken.
  • PolishBastardPolishBastard Classic SF fan Joined: Posts: 9Registered
    Hey Guys!

This is one of my first posts here. i've known of SRK existence for years but never really needed any help. I am used to SSF2T and A2. Recently i've been dragged into A3.
    In general i play only with two fighters: Ryu and Charlie. I play this dude who simply goes through me with BIRDIE. In SSF2T and A2 i can eat him alive with Charlie. But here i cant. As well as his Blanka.

First i need some tips how to get this BIRDIE here.
    Then, i need some tips how to counter Blanka in Air. Whenever i jump i get knocked down!

I use A-ISM i am not a noob nor a pro.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    "My Pride I Obey"
  • justicegjusticeg Joined: Posts: 547Registered
    Hi guys, got a couple of random questions...

3) I have the a3 book and it seems that Charlie has a couple of invincibility frames on the HK flash kick so why does is get beat by so many air attacks? you would think that with the invincibility frames a late HK flash kick would beat most anything.

Which A3 book is this? I've heard it mentioned in a couple of places and would love to get it.
    Play who you like, but play to have fun. If you want to win at something win in life and leave video games to the losers America takes the gaming community to be. - CoolWater