Alpha 3: Q & A

Comments

• KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,925Registered
    1) More range and better recovery at that range. Has some weird properties where it goes over lows sometimes as well.

2) His roll tricks aren't as good or as necessary as they are in ST. It's more something you use after knockdowns or when you've pushed them back far enough after an exchange or you've got them hesitant to move in. His strength is more in his jump speed, high priority long range normals and his guard crush than his roll stuff. If you're looking for help with Blanka, watch Kayaman videos on youtube. He's probably the best Blanka around these days.

3) You want to make sure you're getting them as late as possible with the first hit of it.

4) Use his VC1 stuff. His VC2 crap is way outdated and doesn't go into CCs properly anyway. You only need the turn-around in VC1 if you start near the corner, and in that case, you can do s. MP > FP scrape (x2) (second one should whiff) > late s. LK/c. LP > LP/FP scrape to do the job.

5) His mid-screen start-up is (walk-in) c. LK > LK flash kick > RH > Knee > LK flash kick not what you're doing. If you're talking about anti-air VC then just do c. MP > MK flash kick > RH > Knee > etc. If the knee's not coming out, try hitting RH a little later in the dash. The knee should not be hitting. It's just there to move you forward, so you can flash kick them again.

7) No, they'll only be in the counter-hit state for that one jump LK. It's only after a VC where they'll be stuck in that state indefinitely until you hit neutral. Because all hits during a VC are considered counter-hits, and that state stays for a few seconds even after the activation's gone away.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
  • ParryPerson.ParryPerson. It is done. Joined: Posts: 3,865Registered
    I'm just trying to find some A Karin, or V Karin stuff, I didn't want to make a new thread asking for stuff.
    #LAFGC on EFNet

<MrWizard> ive pre banned parry from evo south
    <[Parry]> This is because I ditched helping on the smash brackets isn't it
    <MrWizard> yep
  • DaDesiCanadianDaDesiCanadian orangecat av! Joined: Posts: 6,926Registered
    Hay guyz, i'm learning V-SIM, and need some practical mid-screen/corner VC's.
    http://tinyurl.com/gtasfchannel <-- One click link for the Toronto/Southern Ontario Street Fighter chatroom!

Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
    LOL Also, 99% implies there are at least 100 people that know me you tard. You really should invest in a proper education instead of being a bum.
    You didn't specify for what character. There's been about a thousand topics on mid-screens anyway. Search Xenozip's V-ISM stuff on youtube, or VER's if you want more up to date VCs. VER had a website with VCs for every character. If I find it again, I'll link that as well.

If you want easy mid-screens, start with Sakura, Sodom or Sagat.

It's a bit of a dark age for A3 on GGPO right now though. Almost all the good players have migrated to SF4 for now except Middlekick for the most part.
    You didn't specify for what character. There's been about a thousand topics on mid-screens anyway. Search Xenozip's V-ISM stuff on youtube, or VER's if you want more up to date VCs. VER had a website with VCs for every character. If I find it again, I'll link that as well.

If you want easy mid-screens, start with Sakura, Sodom or Sagat.

It's a bit of a dark age for A3 on GGPO right now though. Almost all the good players have migrated to SF4 for now except Middlekick for the most part.

I'm an idiot. I meant with Chun and Sim. No idea how I skipped out which characters. :rofl:
    http://tinyurl.com/gtasfchannel <-- One click link for the Toronto/Southern Ontario Street Fighter chatroom!

LOL Also, 99% implies there are at least 100 people that know me you tard. You really should invest in a proper education instead of being a bum.
    Their VCs are some of the hardest in the game.
    If you're specifically trying to learn V-ISM, I would start with some other characters. Neither of those two needs to play V to be competitive (although it does help them in most match-ups, especially 'Sim).

V-Chun

Her's consist almost entirely of crouch cancels, so I seriously wouldn't recommend her to anyone trying to learn V-ISM from scratch. The set-ups for them are also difficult to hit consistently on anyone good.

Don't have any videos for V-'Sim's stuff. There's Xenozip's video, but the teleport glitch renders all of those pretty obsolete.

Basic mid-screen with 'Sim:

c. LK xx MP/FP yoga fire > RH yoga blast > (almost immediate) PPP teleport > yoga fire > PPP teleport > (RH xx yoga fire x n) or (yoga flame x n)

Anti-air VC:

(Very deep) s. LP > yoga blast > LK/MK slide (forget which) > MP yoga fire > PPP teleport > (RH xx yoga fire x n), etc.

(If you're still somewhat far from the corner after either one, you're gonna have to do a few MK/RH slide xx yoga fire juggles to move in)
    For Sim, after the first yoga fire it's a RH YOGA BLAST? Not a s.rh?! That other thread had it wrong, no wonder i've never been able to fucking get it. :bluu:

• Xenozip.Xenozip. what a nincowpoop Joined: Posts: 3,942Registered
    The other thread(s) transcribed his old combos, which technically work. But like Kyokuji said the teleport glitch makes them all pretty outdated and useless by comparison.
    Let's play.
    Keep in mind, the yoga blast should travel with you when you teleport (hence the glitch).
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Needs more Crisco. Joined: Posts: 3,192Registered
    Anywhere to find A3 Gen stuff. A-ism naturally, I sorta know some stuff but really it's just A2 shit. I've watched Alioune, who has the best Gen I've seen on A3 so far (ggpo).
    Learn Street Fighter Alpha 2! http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162792
    This plays when Chuck Norris uses the bathroom
  • XgrayninjaXgrayninja Fumbling my way to the top. One loss at a time. Joined: Posts: 1,224Registered
    I'm getting Alpha Anthology in the mail soon, and after watching videos of A2/A3 I'm very interested in playing Rolento. My question is, what type of character is Rolento? As in, does he require charging or QCF inputs?
    Gotta be hungry.
    I'm getting Alpha Anthology in the mail soon, and after watching videos of A2/A3 I'm very interested in playing Rolento. My question is, what type of character is Rolento? As in, does he require charging or QCF inputs?

He's not a charge character, he's a qcf/qcb character. He's rather simple to play by contrast to his other incarnations, IMO.

Simple and effective normal moves for anti-air. Simple and effective pokes with really good hitboxes. A good jump arc with pretty good jump attacks. And a move that changes his air trajectory.

He's a pretty well rounded character, IMO.
    Let's play.
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 3,670Registered
    Anywhere to find A3 Gen stuff. A-ism naturally, I sorta know some stuff but really it's just A2 shit. I've watched Alioune, who has the best Gen I've seen on A3 so far (ggpo).
    Late reply, but DARK (the most famous Gen player in Japan) has a YouTube channel where up uploads vids of a lot of characters, though obviously there's a ton of Gen stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/kumadaru
    "as long as it's his dog, anybody that believes in civil liberties should defend a man that just wants to fuck his dog in the privacy of his own home."
    -thurst
  • ruff0123ruff0123 Joined: Posts: 569Registered
    http://sfzero3.web.fc2.com/combo.htm

This site found in Kumadaru's youtube channel goes through on all the advanced combos for the whole cast.
  • technique121technique121 Joined: Posts: 218Registered
    wow

thanks balrog 3rd combo trip me out big 2 hit i actually tried that out and it worked lol

oh yeah anyone know ryu vs chunli i been losing to her and i am on the first lvl no i am not new to fighting games i need help in the foot game area what should i do after i tick her with the lkx2
  • EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow I Joined: Posts: 3,067Registered
    Soo.... After showing someone I know the vids of that X/A-ism only tourney from Japan some time ago, the person wants to do something similar as a side gimmick at local A3 tournament. He wants to extend the ban to "well used" characters not just a plain V-ism, so smart asses can't just pick A-Sim all over the place. Here's a tentative list of what we're looking at banning. Any thoughts, suggestions?
    Ban list:

X-Adon
    V/A-Akuma
    A-Rog
    V-Birdie
    A-Blanka
    A/V-Charlie
    A/X-Chun
    V-Cody
    X/A-Sim
    A-Gen
    A-Guy
    A-Ken
    V-Karin
    X/V-Rolento
    A-Rose
    A/V-Ryu
    V-Sagat
    A/V-Sak
    V-Sodom
    V-Vega
    A/V-Gief

Disclaimer: Yes we are well aware that it's stupid to ban such and such character when they are not really broken. And yes we are well aware that the fact that non-broken characters are being banned may turn otherwise interested people off from participating.

But number one, we are hoping to overcome this potential obstacle with $$$, everybody likes to win $$$. And secondly it's gimmick side tourney for fun and hopefully to see some cool/new shit, we don't always see. Thirdly I don't want to see anymore V-Saks and Akumas so there :annoy:

edit: I know sim is good in V too and some of the other stuff is harsh. But obviously we can't outright ban Sim and I doubt a birdie/blanka would ever win anyway. :razz:
    Nujabes に触発され: Listen to the debut album from Def Jam hip hop composer Prosodi J. On Spotify or at releases.prosodij.co.uk
    How good are the people competing? On the off chance that someone is at all good with V-Dhalsim you'll run into trouble. Otherwise, the ban list looks pretty good.
    "as long as it's his dog, anybody that believes in civil liberties should defend a man that just wants to fuck his dog in the privacy of his own home."
    -thurst
  • ruff0123ruff0123 Joined: Posts: 569Registered
    Should just stick with banning all V cause V-sim can be really annoying with the guard break VC in the corner especially when most of the good V that can fight against him are banned.

I can see V-sim, V-chun, v-ken, and v-dan causing alot of trouble for the cast that isn't banned.
    -snip-
    Oh I think you guys will end up having to do trial and error regardless.

Like, I think X-Sakura, A-Rolento, V-Dhalsim, and V-Chun are a hell of a lot more problematic than V-Birdie or A-Blanka.

You ban V-Birdie and not V-Honda or V-Rose? Like I'm trying to figure out why you'd ban V-Birdie and not the other two.

But like TS said if you just happen to have a good V-Dhalsim player he could fuck everything up. But really I think the same goes for a lot of characters so it's probably going to end up being more about your player base.
    Let's play.
  • EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow I Joined: Posts: 3,067Registered
    How good are the people competing? On the off chance that someone is at all good with V-Dhalsim you'll run into trouble. Otherwise, the ban list looks pretty good.

It will probably happen at one of the Fuddrucker events so assuming their's interest top nor cal players would be the highest level of player there.
    Should just stick with banning all V cause V-sim can be really annoying with the guard break VC in the corner especially when most of the good V that can fight against him are banned.

I can see V-sim, V-chun, v-ken, and v-dan causing alot of trouble for the cast that isn't banned.
    Oh I think you guys will end up having to do trial and error regardless.

Like, I think X-Sakura, A-Rolento, V-Dhalsim, and V-Chun are a hell of a lot more problematic than V-Birdie or A-Blanka.

You ban V-Birdie and not V-Honda or V-Rose? Like I'm trying to figure out why you'd ban V-Birdie and not the other two.

But like TS said if you just happen to have a good V-Dhalsim player he could fuck everything up. But really I think the same goes for a lot of characters so it's probably going to end up being more about your player base.

I don't think an entire ism can be banned as it eliminates the last option for some characters. I also concede that some characters are really just not bad in any mode so they aren't really losing out. That and one of the hidden agendas of this tourney it to make people realize that A3 is a game not solely ruled by v-ism, Or so I heard :angel:. Banning the entire mode you are trying to convince people doesn't spoil the game doesn't help much :).

Also really what the main thing we are trying to do is basically eliminate the stuff we know and have seen all the time. Banning "good" characters is secondary, it's just that 99% of the time the best characters and the commonly used characters overlap.

About Sim:
    I left V-Sim in there I think of all 3 modes he is the hardest to use and I wouldn't begrudge someone winning with him, however thinking about it without the other top V characters to keep him in check, it's looking to be easy pickings. Go X-Sim then? Yeah, he's still good, easier to use, hella damage, awesome super but at least he gets hit a bit harder and can't use reverse teleport shenanigans (or can he?). It all seems like lose, lose to me :lol:.

About Blanka:
    A-Blanka ban is mostly prejudice on my part and probably won't remain. I realize he's not a good character but in the right has (ShinBlanka *cough*) he can grow to be the most vexing thing on the planet. "It was more of an everyone plays him in this mode, so lets change that" ban. Not a decision based on him being a hella good character. But I probably won't stick.

About V-Birdie:
    Now unlike blanka. to me, Birdie is a decent character. V-Birdie is a good character. I'm being serious, I'll never agree that he's bottom tier. I'm not very good and maybe I just don't know the matchup but I've always found a good birdie, a rough fight on or offline. If I'm not a character like Sodom that can just b+fierce him away all day, I lose bad to a good V-Birdie or barely scrub out a win.

I don't know what else to say or how to explain it. I think he's a good character. Yes, somewhere inside, I feel the V-Ban is a little bit much. But I actually know some people here that used to play him and they are no joke. I don't know maybe, maybe it will get removed.

About V-Honda and V-Rose:
    I'm 100% confident nobody will pick these 2 characters so they get a free pass :lol:. I only use her on occasion and I suck. I think TS is the only V-Rose player in Cali if he comes down and wins it good shit :tup: :lol:. V-Rose is good but rare, but honda? Not worried about honda at all.

X-Sakura, A-Rolento, V-Dhalsim, V-Ken and V-Chun
    These characters with the exception of maybe V-ken and V-Sim which I talked about already, are only allowed mainly because the they are the much lesser of two (or three!) evils. I know they are still good characters but we wanna eliminate overused characters, not everyone that is good. If the latter was the case we'd just do a Juli only, -ALL MODES ALLOWED!- tourney. :lol:

Thank you guys for all your input. Further comments and guidance would be appreciated.

Edit: It's only after I finished typing this damn wall of text and went back and looked at my original ban list that ruff's v-ism ban idea actually makes a lot sense =/.
    Nujabes に触発され: Listen to the debut album from Def Jam hip hop composer Prosodi J. On Spotify or at releases.prosodij.co.uk
  • jamiejame911jamiejame911 Ever learning Joined: Posts: 411Registered
    A3 A ism tier list

What do you propose would be the tier list for A ism only would be in A3?
    Casually playing:
    SFIV: Fei, Yun
    ST: Ryu, Deejay
    SG: Valentine
    -snip-
    See the thing is, most people who hate SFA3 tend to say that infinites ruined V-ism. These are likely the same people who are going to throw their controller at a wall in a fit of rage and not come to future tournaments if you get a V-Chun doing anti-air infinites on people. Because they are scrubs who don't know how to not jump. That's also why I thought of Rose. The risk of some one doing her CC infinite in V, although a slim chance, sort of outweighs the risk of some one doing meaty unblockable friends super with her in A.

The reason I point out X-Sakura should be obvious. CPS chaining from c.LK to her b+HP into DP for huge damage into ambiguous meaty crossup all day, until you're dizzied and dead. And if you manage to block, good bye guard bar. And if you ever jump, eat c.HP. Barring the other characters, I could see X-Sak, A-Rolento, and X-Charlie being the most problematic ones. Problematic in the sense that they are the easiest scrub killers and the most rage inducing, far far far more-so than A-Blanka and Birdie.

Also I only mentioned V-Honda because I wasn't sure what your logic was for banning/unbanning characters was.
    Let's play.
    If it happens at Fuddruckers, someone is going to find their way to V-Dhalsim, I'm pretty sure.
    -thurst
  • s0lejas0leja vainglorious bastid Joined: Posts: 95Registered
    hey what's up this is my first post here so i'm sorry that it's kind of a dumb one, but i couldn't find the answer by searching. pretty simply, what is the best setup for ryu's fierce hadouken VC? when i try a random one the CPU is pretty good at stuffing me before i get it started.
    http://picturesofpeoplewithgunstotheirheads.blogspot.com/

no more hyooooooooooooooooo! street justice.
  • Alternate275Alternate275 ★TOURNEY HOST★ Joined: Posts: 1,024Registered
    I can't seem to unlock Juni/Juli on the arcade versions of the game? Do they even exist in A3 ARC version? If so, I remember reading they're time released (can only use the code after a month of the SFA3 machine on).

So is this correct?
    Anyway to bypass this?
    Anybody have some sort of save state or something I can use to access Juni/Juli?
    "Proud representative & overseer of Crew Round 2" :D
    PSN: CR2_Alternate | XBL: DRS Alternate | Skype: Alternate275
    King of Fighter XIII | Persona 4 Arena | SSFIV Arcade Edition 2012 | Guilty Gear Accent Core +R | Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    -snip-
    Yeah they exist in the arcade version (so does Boxer).

Check this post for how to unlock them manually: here (code is in the spoiler box)

Savestates work but you could just as well input the code. And the code sticks in emulators even after you close the emulator, so you only have to put the code in once. But just to be safe, make a save state after you unlock them.
    Let's play.
  • s0lejas0leja vainglorious bastid Joined: Posts: 95Registered
    hey what's up. yea the character cheats are activated based on time. i havent tried xenozip's method, but i trust that it works. i don't know the forum rules that well yet, but if your'e using mame you can easily add a cheat for switching the amount of time the machine has been on. i use this one myself. just copy and paste the code below in your cheat.dat. works perfectly on mame32u901. not sure about the other versions of mame but i heard they switched to a different file format for cheats recently (as of 0.127 i think)? xml or something? not sure if it changes anything so check before you use it i guess. oh yea one more thing winkawaks has this time cheat already enabled so right out the box you can play with the hidden characters.
    sfa3:0:00ff80ee:00:000:Beige Time Unlock
    sfa3:0:00ff80ee:01:000:Light Red Time Unlock
    sfa3:0:00ff80ee:02:000:Light Green Time Unlock
    sfa3:0:00ff80ee:03:000:Light Purple Time Unlock
    sfa3:0:00ff80ee:04:000:Light Blue Time Unlock

admins, if this kind of stuff is verboten, i apologize.
    http://picturesofpeoplewithgunstotheirheads.blogspot.com/

no more hyooooooooooooooooo! street justice.
  • Alternate275Alternate275 ★TOURNEY HOST★ Joined: Posts: 1,024Registered
    Is the PS2 version of A3 a decent port?
    "Proud representative & overseer of Crew Round 2" :D
    PSN: CR2_Alternate | XBL: DRS Alternate | Skype: Alternate275
    King of Fighter XIII | Persona 4 Arena | SSFIV Arcade Edition 2012 | Guilty Gear Accent Core +R | Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Unknown Joined:
    hey i just started playin SFA3 again. I like Karin, and Guy seems real interesting. Can someone offer points?
  • TwinSnak3sTwinSnak3s Joined: Posts: 93Registered
    Are there any charge characters on the normal arcade version that don't require V-ism to win?
    "if i want to see a boxer winning for 30 minutes i'd youtube ali in his prime"