Alpha 3: Q & A

Comments

• Oro's Other ArmOro's Other Arm Joined: Posts: 19Registered
    I don't know what it is, but I can stand there all day and command grab over and over with 'Gief and Birdie, and even Hawk on Upper. With Sodom, though, most of the time I get an attack or empty jump instead. Is his different somehow or am I just weird?
  • $hAoLIn$hAoLIn Joined: Posts: 127Registered
    Concerning the rolling attack punishment list, I've found Guy's s.forward to be free after blocking.

Just curious as I didn't see it on the list.
    Clockw0rk, X/V-Rolento, Kain, Gato, Denjin, Aegis, Guile

Mentally my energy is like a figure 8, on its side, that's infinity - Mef Tical
  • danomightydanomighty WTFSRK Joined: Posts: 1,086Registered
    I need some good Sim anti airs,I mostly use X-Sim. I can't type his fucking super in time and get jumped in all day. :tdown:

also how hard is it to use v-cody?!
    I was hung over from both drinking and smoking yesterday so to clam down the smoking and hangover I smoked some more...
    HOLD DAT!
    Marn talking to Mike Ross @ FR14
  • KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,925Registered
    also how hard is it to use v-cody?!

Your ground game better be mad solid, or you're gonna be getting guard crushed left and right.

For 'Sim, b. LP and b. MP beat just about any jump-in close-up. If they start attacking early, just LK/RH slide. Late jump back FP/LP/drill is also an option at closer distances. You're better off with A/V-'Sim though, really. Worst comes to worst, just air throw. That shit is ridiculous.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
  • MiddlekickMiddlekick r.mika stalker Joined: Posts: 599Registered
    Concerning the rolling attack punishment list, I've found Guy's s.forward to be free after blocking.

Just curious as I didn't see it on the list.

I... forgot? Heh.

Thanks for the heads-up, $hAoLIn. List updated.
  • Id_aszId_asz Also Sprach Zarathustra Joined: Posts: 696Registered
    I'm hosting a A3 tournament soon, but I don't know the tournament regulation settings for Turbo.

I will be running it on a Japanese board, so Zero 3.

What are the tournament regulation Turbo settings?
    Home Arcade: FFA (FFA-United.com)
    BB: Carl, μ-12
    GG: Jam, Baiken
    MB: Ciel, MHisui
    AH: Lilica, Akane
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 3,670Registered
    Turbo 2 or Free 2.

BTW, anyone play GGPO? I'm stuck on a keyboard for a while, but I still drop by the A3 room a couple days a week anyway.
    "as long as it's his dog, anybody that believes in civil liberties should defend a man that just wants to fuck his dog in the privacy of his own home."
    -thurst
  • allstylesallstyles Joined: Posts: 79Registered
    to get guile in alpha3, i have to beat the game in hardest difficulty setting??

also

i read that going to level 30 in world tour should get him selectable

Are both methods true??

Thanks in advance :angel:
  • Unknown Joined:
    Some misc questions:

When I do rolento's midscreen (pipe twirls, (standing rh, sj.rk,)xn) my opponent flips out somewhere between the sj.rh and the st.rh and I'm not sure why. any ideas or tips for this vc?

E.honda : I know its possible to activate vc and fp headbutt for anti fireball but I cant get it to work , I just get hit, any tips for me? Fireballers with great timing are a big problem for my honda and any tips would be welcome. I use the sumo drop to go through fb's but alot of times, ill get swept after etc.

Nash : Does anyone here use the sonic boom instant flashkick trick? I know of it but is it actually feasible to use during a match? Does anyone here use it consistently?

Just wondering what Sims anti-air vc is? I've tried the one in the alpha anthology guide but it doesn't make sense to me. I think that they made a mistake.

Chun: What are the uses for the spinning bird kick, like when to use it, and when not to use it etc or some patterns?

Also I have done chuns reversal rising kick in x ism but it doesn't always want to come out, is there a trick to it, strict timing? I use it after a knockdown but is it possible to use it out of blockstun too?

Chun: The Alpha Anthology guide says after a counter hit j.jab you can go into the infinite jumping RH, now why the j.jab? why not j.sk etc?
  • Xenozip.Xenozip. what a nincowpoop Joined: Posts: 3,942Registered
    When I do rolento's midscreen (pipe twirls, (standing rh, sj.rk,)xn) my opponent flips out somewhere between the sj.rh and the st.rh and I'm not sure why. any ideas or tips for this vc?
    Walk cancel between sj.RH and RH. To do this, hold down+back while in the air, and then when you land hold back and do RH. If done correctly the crouch will cancel the land animation and the walk will cancel the crouch animation and you will avoid neutral (like a crouch cancel).
    Just wondering what Sims anti-air vc is? I've tried the one in the alpha anthology guide but it doesn't make sense to me. I think that they made a mistake.
    The only valid one that I know of requires the opponent to attack in the air. It involves anti-airing with his slide-sweep which is only valid if they attack.

After that it's his regular vc juggle, like fireball roundhouse teleport etc or whatever. Check the vc thread.
    Chun: The Alpha Anthology guide says after a counter hit j.jab you can go into the infinite jumping RH, now why the j.jab? why not j.sk etc?
    Doesn't matter what move it is, any single-hit counterhit will do.
    Let's play.
  • Unknown Joined:
    Middle kick confirmed the Dalsim anti air vc:

Jab -> lk yoga blast-> (fb -> warp xn)

Thanks for the advice Xenozip!
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 3,670Registered
    I think it has to be towards+jab.
    "as long as it's his dog, anybody that believes in civil liberties should defend a man that just wants to fuck his dog in the privacy of his own home."
    -thurst
    The only valid one that I know of requires the opponent to attack in the air. It involves anti-airing with his slide-sweep which is only valid if they attack.

b. LP works, but you gotta do it really late.
  • HP87HP87 Joined: Posts: 99Registered
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but is there a way to enable all the extra character modes in GGPO by bypassing the time unlock? Stuff like classical mode and mazi mode etc without using emulator cheat. I've definitely seen it somewhere before, but couldn't find it now after searching the forum for over an hour..
    Well, there's codes that you can input to bypass the time unlock. But the problem is that the codes require control of both P1 and P2 controls.

I don't think you're able to control both players over netplay. At least, I would hope that you couldn't. :xeye:

Anyway here's the codes in case you can find a way to use them anyway:
    RED (background color must be cream): Enter test mode, go into input test and enter the following code: (P1)LP, (P1)LP, (P1)R, (P1)LK, (P1)HP, (P1)START+LP. A message 'HERE COME NEW CHALLENGERS' should appear.

GREEN (background color must already be red): Enter test mode, go into color test and enter the following code: (P1)LK, (P2)HK, (P1)MP, (P2)MP, (P1)U, (P1)START+LP. A message 'TRADITIONAL FIGHT BEGINS' should appear.

BLUE (background color must already be green): Enter test mode, go to game data and enter the following code: (P2)R, (P2)D, (P1)L, (P2)HK, (P1)R, (P1)D, (P2)LP, (P1)U, (P1)START+LP. A message 'ENJOY NEW FIGHTING STYLE' should appear.

LIGHT BLUE (background color must already be blue): Enter test mode, go into crosshatch test and enter the following code: (P2)D, (P1)MK, (P2)R, (P1)D, (P2)R, (P2)HP, (P1)D, (P2)L, (P1)MP, (P2)R, (P1)U, (P1)D, (P2)MK, (P1)WK,(P1)START+LP. The message 'THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LONG PLAYING' will appear.

To activate the codes: exit the test mode, go to the title screen and then insert a credit. Then press and hold START untill the character select sceen is fully drawn. Power off the machine or reset the machine and return to the title screen.

Play as Balrog: Go to Karin and wait 3 seconds, then go to the random select area and immediately hold START followed by any P or K button.

Play as Juni: Go to Karin and wait 3 seconds, then go to the random select area. If on left, hold L, right hold R and press any P or K button.

Play as Juli: Go to Karin and wait 3 seconds, then go to the random select area. If on top, hold U, bottom hold D and press any P or K button.

Classic Mode (SF2): Insert credit and then hold HP+HK and press START.

Mazi Mode (Serious Mode): Insert credit and then hold MP+MK and press START.

Saikyou Mode (Strongest Mode): Insert credit and then hold LP+LK and press START.

Final Battle Mode: Pick your ISM and then hold START and press LP+MK+HP.

Dramatic Battle: Insert credit, then hold all three K buttons and press START.

Survival Mode: Insert credit, then hold all three P buttons and press START.

Maybe if the host has the unlocks before the game starts then they stay? I dunno..
    Let's play.
  • HP87HP87 Joined: Posts: 99Registered
    Thanks Xenozip. I'll try to collaborate with my friend somehow to see if it works. :)
    Well, let's conduct an experiment.

If you don't mind, please try loading up the rom in the emu you use and putting in the code until the unlocks are all done. Then close the emu and load it and sfa3 up again.

If the background is blue after you've closed and reopened then the next test would be to host a game on GGPO with some one who hasn't input the code and see if the unlock persists or causes desync.

Which reminds me, if you can make a savestate before entering the code you might want to so that you can revert to a locked game, in case desyncs actually do happen.
    Let's play.
  • Dy-ErgileDy-Ergile Self destruction™ Joined: Posts: 139Registered
    I have some questions regarding Charlie.

1)What's Charlie's overall goal? To guard crush the opponent using block-string patterns, crossups and his t + RH?

2)Why is it that everytime I activate in an crounching position, I can't combo a c.strong into a forward Somerault Shell to start his VC? This happens to me, for example, when someone is working my guard meter like crazy with c.jabs and shit like that, and then they do a j.roundhouse or fierce (or some high priority jumping attack) to continue the string and then I activate in a crounching position in order to retaliate. Shit is mad frustrating since I do the c.strong and then I get a s.forward after that >:( And I know this can be done cus I have seen TOMA vids where he does exactly that: crounch Activation > c.strong, foward Somerault Shell . Does the activation and the c.strong has to be done relatively late and deep into your opponent's jump? Is it my execution, reflexes or/and my stick?

3)What's his best normal AA? c.fierce? b + fierce? or something else?

4)Can someone please shed more light on Charlie's strats and match ups?
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
  • Unknown Joined:
    anyone can help here: trying to learn v-juni and v-juli?
  • MiddlekickMiddlekick r.mika stalker Joined: Posts: 599Registered
    HP87: I believe all you need to do, is download the save state linked in the GGPO SFA3 room.

Dy-Ergile:

1 - Depends on the match. For some, you'll want to turtle and then Sonic Boom them to death while anti-airing their attempts to get close to you (Guy, 'Gief, Gen); and for others you'll want to dominate on the ground with normals such as his crouching Strong/Forward, Sobat, and generally push them to the corner for Sonic Boom-> Step Kick etc. patterns for the crush (Shoto). Play first, and take it from there.

2 - Activate, then go to neutral, then crouch with Strong, and then cancel into the Somersault Shell.

3 - Close: early crouching Fierce; late crouching Jab-> Short Somersault Shell; air throw. Mid-range: crouching Strong. Far: far standing Forward; jumping Fierce.

4 - I think it's better to take things on an individual basis, with the particular match-up dictating the type of strategy required. I presume you're already aware of Charlie's moveset. So use that knowledge to go into battle and then adjust accordingly. When you're stuck, think it over and see how you can improve, or watch matches. Or, ask here (a last resort, imo). Bottom line: play more, and take it from there.
  • Dy-ErgileDy-Ergile Self destruction™ Joined: Posts: 139Registered
    Thank you for your help Middlekick!
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
  • Shin_Akuma_Shin_Akuma_ AKA Non-SmokeMaster Joined: Posts: 705Registered
    Just started playing this seriously for week now. I use to mainly play with Rolento, but now I seem to have took a liking to Fei Long. I dab around with everyone, but Fei seems to fit my playing style alot. I use X-ism for Fei and wanted to know if V-ism is the way to go with him?
    3rd Strike
    Main: Akuma
    Sub: Twelve
    STHD
    Main: E. Honda
    Sub: Everyone else.
    Awesome Avatar by Vegett0!!!
    If you're playing this seriously, don't main Fei. He's not in the arcade version, and I can't remember the last time anyone played console A3 in a tournament.
    Shit, that sucks I really liked playing him. Guess it's back to Rolento. Then again I might pick up Gen. He's looks like a force to reckon with.
    3rd Strike
    STHD
    If you're an aggressive player, you'd probably be better off with Gen. Not that Rolento can't play a mean rushdown game, but he excels more at positioning and controlling space.
    If you're an aggressive player, you'd probably be better off with Gen. Not that Rolento can't play a mean rushdown game, but he excels more at positioning and controlling space.

Yeah I can zone pretty well with Rolento, I iust dont know which ism is best suited for him. I like A-ism alot. I like to use that instant jump alot. I also like to buffer his level 1,2, or 3 trip-line special from cl. lk., but I don't know how practical that move is. It seems like a good setup though. I would rather learn V-ism for him though. I use to know a decent CC involving his knives which seem to take alot more damage then without the CC.

I have been doing some research on Gen though. Like I said he looks like a damn good character to play with just going to take sometime to master both styles if that's even possible.
    3rd Strike
    STHD
    Short answer is that V-ISM is outright better for everyone except:

Rose, Mika, Blanka, Guy, Gen, Boxer

And the first two are still mad solid on V, it just doesn't outclass their A stuff by a huge margin. V-Blanka has an infinite too off an air counter-hit as well as a corner unblockable, so that's something to consider as well. Dhalsim, Chun and Ken used to make that list, but people have found tons of crazy shit for them. Not sure where Dictator stands these days.

V-Rolento has his infinite, which you can set up a ton of a different ways, plus a ridiculously damaging corner unblockable, good cross-up unblockable, great controllable normals and an awesome alpha counter that gets you out of tons of bad situations, while letting you set up your own offense. His tripwire super does a lot of damage, but you can just jump after the start-up animation, so it's only really good after you get them to whiff or attack at the wrong time, and even then, you probably won't get them.

Thing is, in any game, activations with invincible start-up act as a universal counter in much the way that parrying does. You can go through pokes, jump-ins, anti-airs, reversals, supers, and severely punish whiffs. People will constantly have to tailor their offense in a way that makes it difficult for you to just land a random guess activation.

With activations/parries, you don't always have to think of creative ways to counter something when you know it's coming, you can just use the same thing every time if you know they're not expecting it. Positioning is a lot less important in 3S for instance since you can just parry shit you would normally be forced to block -- hence the argument from some that it discourages footsies. Obviously, they're still very important at higher levels of play, but you can get by without them in a lot more situations and just jump or walk in at your whim, etc. Activating serves much the same purpose but at greater risk/reward most of the time since it uses meter.

If you play on A-ISM, you're giving all that up. I'm not gonna be as afraid to do longer pressure strings to you in A-ISM if I know you don't have a reliable reversal. Plus, your meter goes up a hell of a lot slower, so when you blow all your bars as an A-ISM player, you better hope you don't lose momentum or get knocked down near the corner 'cause there's very little to stop me from just doing confusion or guard crush VCs when you don't have an alpha counter/counter-activation ready. You can forget about jump-ins outside of baited whiffs and safe jumps as well. Normally, you rarely see anti-air activations in top level matches because you're risking getting counter activated on, but unless you're Gen, what can you do on A-ISM?

A-ISM can absolutely be competitive, but understand that even if your character is better in A, you're still at a disadvantage in a lot of areas against someone who's good on V-ISM. Also, no matter how good your fundamentals are, you'll be subject to a lot of bullshit if you don't have counter-activate to keep people honest.

Some Rolento VCs:

A match:

Outside of his corner VC (he's got another one not shown in that video that's a lot better) and the usual cross-up VC, his shit is fairly difficult compared to most characters. They require a good working knowledge of how both crouch cancels and walk cancels work in order for them to function well.

Look for videos of NIKE online if you wanna see a good Rolento. For Gen, DARK, aka Kudamaru is good, obviously.
    If you play on GGPO, V-Ryu and Sfozon have by far the best Rolentos on there.
    Good shit with the info and VC vid links. I'm definitely going to practice some of these and hopefully get better with V-Rolento. I have played 3S on GGPO, but for some reason I experienced more lag that I would want. I have DSL which was kind of puzzling considering GGPO's awesome netcode. Hopefully it will not be an issue with A3, but I'm going to go practice some of these combos first before I attempt online match-ups. Thanks for the info again.
    3rd Strike
    STHD
    3S and JoJo are different from other games on there. Because of the way the lag compensation works, it'll lag because your CPU's not powerful enough, not because of your connection. CPS3 games are very taxing processor/memory-wise, and I can't play 3S online on GGPO at all on this shit computer I have.
  • Unknown Joined:
    random stuff...

Hi guys, got a couple of random questions...

1) What are some uses for Blanka's standing HK? It seems similar but inferior to his standing HP. I know the HK is useful but for what?

2)How do you set up blanka's roll and ET trap? Its been done to me and I use it in SSF2T remix but not sure how to use it in a3 very well.

3) I have the a3 book and it seems that Charlie has a couple of invincibility frames on the HK flash kick so why does is get beat by so many air attacks? you would think that with the invincibility frames a late HK flash kick would beat most anything.

4) Ok, I'm doing Sodoms vc2 (JP strike->ST.HK) and I reach the corner now I'm having a hard time turning around, I do a HK to juggle -> 2 HP Jit strikes ->a cr.FP ->jp.jit strike......I know it should work but I just make a mess of it all, any tips? Or can I just do a st.MP and do CC jumping FPs or something when I reach the corner? It seems possible...

5)Now im lazy and I do not want to learn Charlie's proper Midscreen vc if I dont have too.. That being said the Vc I usually do is VC3 (HK flash kick->knee bazooka )xn now of course it gets beat alot at activation because I haven't been using the cr.mp before the flash kick..., ok, so now I've tried to incorperate the cr.mp before the first HK flashkick. Now here's the weird problem, when using the cr.mp before the flashkick I can no longer get the HK bazooka knee, all I get is a HK!, I thought maybe my timing was off but that doesn't seem to be the case, anyone know why?

6)Is it just me or does Blanka's missed throw animation seem painfully long?

7)I know about Cody's cc's after a corner vc but doesn't he have some good CC's after a counter hit jumping jab or jp.sk midscreen (no vc)? Also say I do a cr.sk->jab tornado in the corner then do a jumping sk and get a counter hit, can I go into the infinite jp.sk cc?

Enough questions for today :)