INFERNO DIVIDER

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Pervert_QPervert_Q a.k.a Pizza Josh Joined: Posts: 457Registered
    Jin your dead

• PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 6,870Registered
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/jan-19-2013-clash-of-heroes-austin-tx.172373/

Tournament coming up at a place called Gamerz Galaxy at the Hancock Center next to the HEB.
    I didn't make this tournament, and I'm not in charge of the event, however feed back would be good.
    20121117_133412.jpg
    -
    20121117_133425.jpg
    My Blog, please don't read it - PonyAndDrugs.blogspot.com
  • phantasyphantasy shl kick for evo2013 Joined: Posts: 4,185Registered
    Been there before for a Melee tournament
    Melee scene brought CRTs because of lag issues of course

I would be wary of TV lag issues. I don't remember how the lag was on their monitors.

It is a pretty nice place though. Last time I think they provided free sodas which was cool.
    srk forum functionality is still a problem ~
    http://www.twitch.tv/schillbs local stream; mostly marvel
    I've heard good things about the place. I called once about a game and they were willing to have someone go grab it from their other store ASAP. I was like damn and they were informative without being goons like other local game strores.

Yeah the staff was great
    Yea,unrealistically so.

My only worry is that the Venue fee is going to be a $10 charge.
    Thing is, we can't change that in terms of making it cheaper. To enter each game well be $5, however Marvel will have a $100 bonus, so that could make up for that. I'm guessing the bonus will be split for top 3.
    guaranteed pot =/= pot bonus is what i've heard tho

but they didn't offer it for persona, so maybe it is a pot bonus. huh.
    guaranteed pot =/= pot bonus is what i've heard tho

but they didn't offer it for persona, so maybe it is a pot bonus. huh.
    Yea, it's a pot bonus, so it's being added on from the $5 game fee.
    Talking to the guy about it, we're considering hosting a 3rd game if possible, but something not too popular due to venue size (hence why Persona 4 Arena got in there).

Thinking of PlayStation All Stars?
    Not sure how that'll do competitively. Thoughts?
    Pile of doo doo that game appears to be hmmmm?

• PerthoPertho Me on the left. Joined: Posts: 7,709Registered
    Any of you dudes going to AU tomorrow night? :rofl:
  • dance robotdance robot Joined: Posts: 58Registered
    For anyone who, like myself, has been wondering when the next ranbat season will take place, @arcadeufo posted this on Twitter a few days ago in response to a question about it:

'@ATX_Andy: @arcadeufo Est. on next ranbats?'
    '@arcadeufo: @ATX_Andy January 2013 - our hands are currently full preparing for renovation next month!'

Anyone know what the rennovation entails?
    I'm bad at SSF4. I'm looking for someone who is similarly bad to train with offline in Austin, TX. PM me!
    i think it has something to do with layout.
    For anyone who, like myself, has been wondering when the next ranbat season will take place, @arcadeufo posted this on Twitter a few days ago in response to a question about it:

'@ATX_Andy: @arcadeufo Est. on next ranbats?'
    '@arcadeufo: @ATX_Andy January 2013 - our hands are currently full preparing for renovation next month!'

Anyone know what the rennovation entails?

UFO will be closed for x amount of weeks as the place gets a redesigned.
    How long? I believe ETA is 3 weeks or something.

Otherwise, hopefully we'll get a lot of tournaments running in Austin in 2013.
  • dance robotdance robot Joined: Posts: 58Registered
    So it's more moving stuff around than knocking down walls and shit. Cool, well I'm lookiking forward to seeing the changes and getting in there for the ranbats!
    I'm bad at SSF4. I'm looking for someone who is similarly bad to train with offline in Austin, TX. PM me!
    Take caution of the Clash of Heroes tournament:

Talking to the guy running Quarter Up Gaming, I was caution of the guy as he seemed rather naive of how to go about running events. He wasn't familiar with the scene, and he didn't seem to know what Arcade UFO was after the years he's claimed to have history of running events in Austin (not sure if it was years, but long enough). He's aware of this site (SRK.com), so I'm surprised that he never got involved with anyone in the Austin topic.

I got in contact with him thanks to Gamerz Galaxy.
    I spoke with them about running a tournament, and they were okay with running it and charging a very small venue fee (about $3). However, the owner of GG was worried of awarding cash prizes to the players. After a month of talking to GG, I gave up and started looking around else where. Eventually, I found out that GG has had tournaments before, all hosted by Quarter Up gaming. Got in contact with him through facebook, and went on from there.

Talking to QU, he stated that he was running a "business", but at the time he didn't seem like it would be effecting the tournament. He said he ran tournaments at several venues all over Austin, so I asked if he could get a venue outside of Gamerz Galaxy since they don't do cash prizes. He said, "okay" and the searching began.... or so I thought. A few days later, he said he found a venue, it was Gamerz Galaxy. I was surprised to see that the prize was cash and the +$100 bonus was claimed to come out of his pocket. However, one thing struck me, and it was the $10 Venue Fee.

The $10 venue fee, I wasn't liking. I asked the QU guy on why it was so much and asked if the venue (Gamerz Galaxy) could change that. He said there was no other way and $10 was their only option. We continued to discuss more about the tournament, what games should be done, etc. He went ahead and just created the event and topic without me knowing... I just randomly ran across it on SRK then on Facebook. I didn't really care, as it seem like he was going about his own path, however I notice some of the rules were off. I had everyone else (not me) speak up and tell him what to fix.

Fixes were made, and everything seemed smooth... but that $10 venue fee kept bothering me.
    Eventually, I stated, "I will say we may still need to continue finding another venue. No hate, but for the gamers exchange guys to charge 10 for the venue is robbery! Had the venue been larger I can understand, but... that isn't the case. I guess we should be okay."
    That's when he explained why the $10 venue fee. Basically why the venue fee was so pricy was to pay off his "hard work" and expenses. The 100 dollar bonus wasn't coming out of his pocket, rather, out of the players paying for the expensive venue fee. He then explained how he was making extra charges to support his business.
    After hearing this, I had to decline.

And that's basically it. It'd be interested to hear his side of the story, as he felt like this idea was "not shady" where as everyone else who've heard this all screamed shady. He's not a bad guy, but... to make money off the FG community.......
    I think it was best said at someone over at UFO, stating, "Dude, it's 2012 and you still don't know how to go about running a tournament?!" after hearing this story. To be fair, it's not hard to research what's considered shady and how to run the event right. Maybe if the guy was more educated on the subject, everything would be okay, but he isn't willing to learn as he refuses to join any tournaments that isn't his own or smash melee.
    Not to mention the "$100 bonus" might not be a bonus after all...

I dunno...
  • shadowcharlieshadowcharlie ★ஜ۩dip۞set۩ஜ★ Joined: Posts: 9,018Registered
    =} pot bonus for us by us
    bust my gun at the sun just to sit in the shade~
    ἐξίσταται γὰρ πάντ' ἀπ' ἀλλήλων δίχα
    Sounds lame. Id rather no bonus if its gonna be played like that. That shit is weak and shady....hard work.....lololololol.. If that guy wasn't an idiot maybe he'd get sponsors....hmmmm

Sounds lame. Id rather no bonus if its gonna be played like that.
    That's basically what a lot of people were saying.
    He stated he'd thrown in a bot bonus before any kind of discussion of a venue fee was mentioned. So it sucks to know he it planned before hand, ya' know?
  • NeoSuplexNeoSuplex Joined: Posts: 7Registered
    Right so, I should Clarify...

John contacted me about helping him run a tournament. He wanted hep with a venue etc. I told him I was already planning an event for January and I welcomed him to join in on that. I provide the equipment, venue, and I sponsor the events myself all out of pocket.

Well, when we met at DJoes, I told him how everything would work and I told him then that I do a $100 guaranteed pot and charge a $10 Venue fee per person plus 5 per game entered. This is how I'd always done it. Pretty much, I had all the logistics handled. He was cool with that at the time, and I scheduled the event as usual. Then, recently, he texted me asking about the venue fee calling it shady and backing out of the event. I said, that was fine, just don't start disparaging me or my company. He refused.

Look, I'm not a normal community member. I love console gaming and I wanted to do something that lets me make the experience more social. I want to prove that it's profitable and build a my own gaming lounge for it. That's pretty much it... If you want to support that, check out the events. If not, that's your loss. Fact is, I'll build it regardless, even if it's only frequented by people I know.
    Look, I'm not a normal community member. I love console gaming and I wanted to do something that lets me make the experience more social. I want to prove that it's profitable and build a my own gaming lounge for it. That's pretty much it... If you want to support that, check out the events. If not, that's your loss. Fact is, I'll build it regardless, even if it's only frequented by people I know.
    You have to know how the community works if you really believe these ideas are possible. This is why I recommend to actually go about your ways and travel to other tournament events and get involved with the scene. Not just traveling and seeing the event, but actually entering a game to see first hand how things are ran.

You also have to understand you can longer use the statement "out of my pocket" if you expect the players to pay a larger venue fee to help cover that bonus or any other "expense" you feel that need to be covered (especially since the equipment is being covered by the players themselves, it's hard to justify this statement).
    =} pot bonus for us by us

Had I originally been told when we first spoke about the $10 venue I would've question it right then and there, however this did not come to my attention until the tournament topic was created here on SRK.com.

Sadly, the bigger lose is actually losing the support from the community here in Texas.
    I don't think you understand the opportunity you're missing out here because you feel the need of trying to profit off other players in order to get your business going.
    As mentioned earlier, you have heart, but your mind isn't in the right place and your heart is in the wrong direction. You may need to get yourself involved with the community to understand how everything works.
  • DankeDanke Superior Tech. Joined: Posts: 989Registered

Except that the pot is guaranteed coming out of the venue fee and you don't provide setups or even your own venue.
    XBL GT: Das Danke Twitter: https://twitter.com/DasDanke
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamBrownTown (Fighting game tips, tricks, and combo videos including the Superior Tech series.)
    http://www.twitch.tv/schillbs (Streaming my Marvel adventures periodically; I will prove Spencer is the worst by winning with him!)
  • shadowcharlieshadowcharlie ★ஜ۩dip۞set۩ஜ★ Joined: Posts: 9,018Registered
    intermediary SWAG
    bust my gun at the sun just to sit in the shade~
    ἐξίσταται γὰρ πάντ' ἀπ' ἀλλήλων δίχα
  • furixfurix Joined: Posts: 1,524Registered
    People are still trying to rip off the fighting game community? Damn
    And wth, 10 dollar venue fee and 5 dollar per game? That's not how tournaments are ran. 5 dollar venue fee and 10 dollar per game would be better, as winners get a bigger pot that way.

Man... I miss the day when tournaments didn't even ask for a venue fee and the whole entry fee went into the pot. :/
    Arcana Heart 3~
  • JDR.JDR. XBL Gamertag: Victory Rush Joined: Posts: 349Registered
    This is the worst community to try and make money off of, man. The majority of us are bums and tournaments are mostly ran for the love of the game and community.

Which you don't have, nor will you.
  • TOKiMONSTATOKiMONSTA Girl Gamer! ^_~ Joined: Posts: 352Registered
    Yo NeoSuplex don't let these assholes dissuade you dogg. Get money Fuck bitches naw meen? Lol what is this gay shit about love for fighting games and shit. Fuck that, right? Just rip people off brah. Keep trucking brother.
    Girls are just as good as guys at video games! Nyah~! ^_~
  • Scottie YoshScottie Yosh 765Pro | Yosh Joined: Posts: 62Registered
    NEC was tight. Let's play more anime.
  • furixfurix Joined: Posts: 1,524Registered
    Was it really tight? Oh was it?

Also, Scottie sportin' dat Takanya, let's play more im@s!
    Arcana Heart 3~