The Official Collected Editions Thread (New & Improved!)

Comments

• Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,072Registered
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,355Registered
    Sorry, Painy. I'm keeping my X-Statix Omnibus until the day I have to raise funds to buy a new spleen or something.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
  • P. GorathP. Gorath the crackdown Joined: Posts: 6,476Registered
    Wolverine by Jason Aaron Omnibus - I thought this was pretty terrible. I felt Wolverine was written like a teenager for most of it...the whole characterization just felt off. The stories were really lame for the most part, like something a college creative writing student would do...just really pretentious and grating. I really wanted to like this, but it was just bad. Really I don't think Wolverine has been handled well since Morrison's run.

Hellraiser vol. 1: Pursuit of the Flesh - this collects the new Boom! Studios series. It was great! Really impressed by the book and looking forward to reading more. The Hellraiser sequel we always wanted

Hack/Slash Omnibus vol. 1 - This was actually pretty good. Light and breezy for the most part...sometimes a little too light. I like the early stories the most because there was still a bit of scares and menace to it, whereas later it became too slapstick. The Evil Ernie mini was probably my favorite of the bunch...someone really needs to go back and collect all the Evil Ernie stuff in new trades.

Crossed vol. 1 - OOOOOOOMMMMMGGG this book was so good. Don't know how it fell below my radar for so long. I think I avoided it because I thought it was a religious book or something. Goddamn this was good. Ennis on top of his game.

Crossed vol. 2 - Not as good as vol. 1 but still decent.

Jennifer Blood vol. 1 - Liked this one a lot. Had some really funny moments. Classic Hitman-esque Ennis.

Currently reading through Warren Ellis Stormwatch...good stuff so far.
    Recently read Grendel: God and the Devil for the first time. People say it's supposed to be one of the ultimate Grendel stories, but I just didn't like it at all. I finished the whole thing but it felt like a chore. Loved the artwork, but the story just didn't interest me at all. I'm pretty biased against stories in which a corrupt Catholic church rules society with an iron fist.That's probably one of my least favorite story cliches. Still, I tried to give the comic a fair shake, but none of the characters engaged me. I wasn't into the insanity and chaotic mind of Eppy Thatcher and I didn't feel invested at all for Orion Assante's mission. The Pope was a generic bad guy and I felt like if I were a Catholic, I'd be offended by the comic.

I also just read Grendel Tales: Devils and Deaths. I enjoyed that a little more. It's a well-done little science fiction war comic. Great artwork, too. Still, I think my favorite Grendel comics are Devil's Legacy and War Child. I also enjoyed Grendel Tales: Four Devils, One Hell. I feel like I should reread all of those, though... My disappointing experience with God and the Devil has made me seriously question my enjoyment of Matt Wagner in general. (I also recently reread his Batman and the Monster Men and Mad Monk stories... Those were pretty average.)

I also read David Lapham's Murder Me Dead for the first time. I got all nine issues for cheap a while ago because I could never find the TRADE, BABY. Murder Me Dead was excellent - the pacing, the craft, the mystery, the artwork, everything. It's a great crime comic and definitely something I can revisit in the future. This is right up there with Stray Bullets and Silverfish in terms of my favorite Lapham comics I've read so far. I've got all six issues of Sparta, U.S.A. (comics which I compiled from digging through quarter bins across the Bay Area over the years, and recently found the last one I needed) on the docket.
    what?!

Monster Men and Mad Monk are great (albeit much more nuanced and subtle than 99.9% of superhero comics out there) and God and the Devil is a classic! I dunno, are you reading this stuff out of order? Because at the end of the day it's not like it's a stand alone story - it's issues 23-33 of a 50 issue series. I dunno, the storyline feels more relevant to me now than ever. An atheist hero taking on the evil and corrupt church...sign me up please. Great use of multiple narratives, great art, the return of the villain from all the way back in issues 1-12...a classic all around. And then you get Devil's Reign next, which is awesome while using a completely different narrative. I mean seriously, has any comic switched things up and pushed the envelope storytelling-wise as much from arc to arc as the 50 issue Grendel series?
    Monster Men and Mad Monk just don't really stand out to me anymore. I've read those two or three times each and my most recent reread just left me feeling like I could live without owning them in my collection. They aren't bad, and I would agree that they're better than most (although 99.9% is an exaggeration) superhero comics. I thought they were rather simple, but as tributes to the Golden Age of Batman, they work very well. There have been a lot of modern day tributes to Silver Age-style superhero comics, but there haven't been as many Golden Age tributes. (Terra Obscura and Project Superpowers come to mind; that's about it.)

I did enjoy the scene where Batman was sneaking around in the castle, only the stairs he was walking on smoothed out and sent him spiraling into a trap room with spiked walls that closed in on him. I could see how most people would find that super corny, but I thought it was funny. At the end of the day, I thought they were just fun Batman tales that don't really probe too deeply into what makes him who he is. They were plot-driven with fine character bits, but ultimately I guess I'm just not too excited by seeing Batman fight monster men and vampires.

As far as Grendel goes, yeah, I've been reading them out of order. The first thing I ever read was Devil's Legacy. Then I think I read Red, White, and Black, and then War Child. I just read 'em as I've been able to find 'em (for cheap). I don't think reading them in order would change my opinion about God and the Devil, though. I respect Wagner's skills as a storyteller, but I just don't like the story in God and the Devil.

It's probably just me, but I'm not down with stories that rail against God or religion in general. Whether it's a story blatantly vilifying organized religion or religious institutions or a story where the antagonists are a bunch of stereotypical right-wing Christians portrayed in an unflattering manner, I am not down with that. I get that most comic book creators are probably atheists, but it's tough for me to enjoy a story when I feel like they're just trying to show how foolish it is to believe in God or practice religion. I'm definitely not Catholic, but if I were, that Grendel story would have offended me.

I'm not hating on Wagner, I'm just saying I don't like God and the Devil.
    the wife bought me the x-statix omnibus. can't wait to get it so i can finally find out what happened after the series was renamed
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
    Zephy will be happy to know my latest book order includes this fine specimen of comic literature: http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-The-Crossing-Bob-Harras/dp/0785162038
    Whaaaaaat.... An omnibus? What? Why would they even make... Never mind... I give up.
    read the first Planet of the Apes trade from Boom...excellent stuff, both story and art. Boom is on a roll right now
    Yeah, Boom does a lot of really good stuff.

By the way, www.tfaw.com still has a sale until the end of the month. Get some cheap treasure!
    oh yeah I also picked up David Boring by Daniel Clowes at the used bookstore. I didn't know it existed but flipping through it I knew I would like it so I got it. I read it in two sittings and it indeed was excellent.

i definitely need to get into more indie stuff but it's hard to find the good stuff amidst all the blankets/black hole/maus crap
    Yeah, I like David Boring. I think that's my favorite Clowes comic that I've read. You ever read Adrian Tomine's stuff?

Why don't you like Blankets, Black Hole, and Maus?
    The end of x-statix brought a tear to my eye.
    117044f1.jpg

I'm one proud parent.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 7,559Registered
    I got Scott Pilgrim and The Walking Dead issue 1 free on my ipad, I haven't read a graphic novel in 3 or 4 years and even then I barely got my feet wet. Would be great if there were more than 3 graphic novels available for download it would be so convenient to have my entire collection with me wherever I go. On the other hand while graphic novels aren't the same as regular books I'm not sure yet if I'd prefer a physical collection or not.

Anyone have a resource for e-graphic novels?
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • SanoSano I'm on the PSP! Joined: Posts: 12,260Registered, Moderators
    Curious. Is Scott Pilgrim on the Ipad in color?

Because they just started releasing the graphic novels in color. I would've gotten the first volume but it was like over 20 bucks for something I own / read in black and white so I passed. I have the video game and that's in color, I'm good. :rofl:
    First volume is. I still can't decide if I want to start a physical or e collection.....although the selection on the comics app sucks since it's mostly all single issues the convenience of having everything with me at once is too good to pass up.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    Probably should have posted this much earlier, but Top Shelf's annual $3 sale ends today.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/special-deals

Lots of good stuff there.
    zephy, green apple has the milligan x-force trades. i picked up punisher in the blood last week.
    Are they in the bargain bins outside? Or just on the shelves inside? Seems like every so often the Green Apple just unleashes a bunch of comics into the bargain bins, but I can never predict when or why or which books.
    on the shelves inside. i'll check the bargain bins next time i go
    so i read final crisis : revelations. uch better than FC itself. my question is, what books were leading up to that mini? i wanna read those next.
    haven't read a comic in almost 4 years, on a whim I downloaded The Chair on my iPad and it was really good:tup:

made me realize how much I miss comics.
    Thinking of buying the new x-men Morrison omni.
    TFAW.com is having their annual Black Friday sale. Stuff is already 40%-70% off. On Friday it'll be 50%-80%. The nick and dent TPBs/HCs are super worth it at 70% or 80% off.
    I....bought the Morrison new x-men omnibus.....I feel dirty
    haven't checked in here in a while. still think they should close this forum and give us back a regular thread in GD.

got some books in the mail today:

Walking Dead vol. 8 (hardcover)
    Death of Ultimate Spider-man omnibus
    Crossed vol. 4
    Crossed: Wish You Were Here tpb
    Jennifer Blood vol. 2
    Hellraiser vol. 4
    Planet of the Apes vol. 3

Buying a lot more BOOM! these days. Hellraiser and POTA are excellent, beyond all expectations.
    The madness is starting. TFAW's servers are starting get laggy as hell!
  • THE_KZATHE_KZA snikt snikt snikt Joined: Posts: 921Registered
    recently picked up

Astonishing X-Men omnibus
    Wolverine omnibus McNiven cover
    Amazing Spider-Man vol 2 Romita DM cover
    X-Statix omnibus
    Mighty Thor omnibus
    Fear Agent hardcover vol 1
    Judas Coin
    Manhattan Projects vol 1

I don't know what to read first...