Marvel Comics Thread

Comments

• SanoSano I'm on the PSP! Joined: Posts: 12,260Registered, Moderators
    Yeah they messed with Cap's mind to forget everything, like DC's Identity Crisis lol!
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 3,502Registered
    edited February 2013
    Anyone else following ANXM? What Bendis did w/ Young Scott in just one issue was a game changer. He went from a scared, confused, melancholy kid who was being blamed and hated for things he hadn't done to a guy w/ a mission and the resolve to take control of his situation. By the end of the issue YS isn't about to take anyone's abuse - especially from Beast whose been a tool since Nightcrawler died.

Also really anticipating which of the O5 will join Cyclops' group.

Uncanny X-Men #1 this week!
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Get Esports out of Fighting Games Joined: Posts: 672Registered
    Sano wrote: »
    Woot SRK is back! Waiting 5 days just to say... New Avengers. THE INFINITY GEMS BROKE DAAAAAAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HIIIICKMAAAAAN!!!!!!

Yeah, what a bunch of crap that was. Oh well, hopefully they'll reform again.
    CTG wrote: »
    Anyone else following ANXM? What Bendis did w/ Young Scott in just one issue was a game changer. He went from a scared, confused, melancholy kid who was being blamed and hated for things he hadn't done to a guy w/ a mission and the resolve to take control of his situation. By the end of the issue YS isn't about to take anyone's abuse - especially from Beast whose been a tool since Nightcrawler died.<br />
    <br />
    Also really anticipating which of the O5 will join Cyclops' group.<br />
    <br />
    Uncanny X-Men #1 this week!

I don't know how far Mystique and Xavier were involved, but I figured all that about her respecting him greatly was a lie. Was interesting seeing Cyclops surprised by the future: bottled water? five dollars for a magazine?!

The Uncanny X-Men Revolution: Magik
    Brian Michael Bendis unravels a bit of the mystery swirling around the mutant sorceress!

http://marvel.com/news/story/20083/the_uncanny_x-men_revolution_magik

• 2-D2-D Praise BasedGod...Hand Joined: Posts: 216Registered
    edited February 2013
    @Aries how was it a bunch of crap? That makes this story even more interesting. And I really hope UXM is good, because Bachalos art doesn't work with everything...

EDIT: So I went to my LCS before work and read it.
    It was a good read for a first issue. We all pretty much said it was too random Magneto suddenly against Cyke so I'm thinking he might be a double agent, which would be a cool angle. Lord knows I can't take him AND Bishop both goin to the dark side.
    Post edited by 2-D on
    WSHH is like a genital herpes to the black community - Gimpy
    Youtube: http://m.youtube.com/user/infamoustechnique
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 11,973Registered, Moderators
    Man the new avengers and the avengers books has been really good.

I've only read #1 of each but good stuff. I was glad to see Black panther get some screen time.
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Get Esports out of Fighting Games Joined: Posts: 672Registered
    2-D wrote: »
    @Aries how was it a bunch of crap? That makes this story even more interesting.

It's a bunch of crap because the infinity gems are the greatest treasure in the universe. With them great stories for truly cosmic characters like Thanos and Adam Warlock are told. They are not supposed to break because some noob couldn't handle them, if anything, that noob should have been the one broken.
    2-D wrote: »
    @Aries how was it a bunch of crap? That makes this story even more interesting. And I really hope UXM is good, because Bachalos art doesn't work with everything...

EDIT: So I went to my LCS before work and read it.
    It was a good read for a first issue. We all pretty much said it was too random Magneto suddenly against Cyke so I'm thinking he might be a double agent, which would be a cool angle. Lord knows I can't take him AND Bishop both goin to the dark side.
    Yea, I think Mags is a double agent. Remember - SHIELD said he appeared out of nowhere, meaning Magik probably teleported him in somehow. Adding the fact that Cyclops is a master strategist and it smells like a setup to me.

• ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,355Registered
    Chris Bachalo's art works with anything and everything. He's basically the best there is at what he does. And what he does is so very pretty.
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
    Just got to reading UXM, gotta say I really liked it. Would like to see an explanation of the new costumes. So Ilyana was scared of Cyclops' new blast, I take it is a (good) after effect of being possessed by the Phoenix. Hoping it is. Most mortals get something from being possessed by an abstract concept like when Marlo Jones got to keep her death touch after being possessed by Lady Death.
    Yea, I think Mags is a double agent. Remember - SHIELD said he appeared out of nowhere, meaning Magik probably teleported him in somehow. Adding the fact that Cyclops is a master strategist and it smells like a setup to me.
    Hmmmmmm. Well, first of all I am glad to see nobody has turned evil. The ads did say ONE of them was a traitor, but not evil. So, it seems it is Magneto. But now that you mention Magik....

Just got to reading UXM, gotta say I really liked it. Would like to see an explanation of the new costumes. So Ilyana was scared of Cyclops' new blast, I take it is a (good) after effect of being possessed by the Phoenix. Hoping it is. Most mortals get something from being possessed by an abstract concept like when Marlo Jones got to keep her death touch after being possessed by Lady Death.
    Hmmmmmm. Well, first of all I am glad to see nobody has turned evil. The ads did say ONE of them was a traitor, but not evil. So, it seems it is Magneto. But now that you mention Magik....

The explanation came in an interview a while back. The costumes represent how they see themselves post AvX. Upcoming issues of UXM are supposed to explore those personal battles they're going through.
    Well, I was referring to actually seeing how each of them decided on these new costumes lol.
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 3,302Registered
    damn, i've been slacking lately but time to play catch up now

about to catch up on the new Gambit series...but does anyone have any input on the DC/Marvel crossover comics?
    I gotta dig bick. You that read wrong. That awkward when you read that wrong also. And said 'moment' after awkward
    Most of those DC/Marvel crossovers are garbage. I enjoyed JLA/Avengers and a handful of those Amalgam comics. Hulk/Superman had some really great Steve Rude art. Punisher/Batman had nice JRjr art - and one of the coolest renditions of the Joker I can think of. That's probably all the nice things I can say about those crossovers.
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 986Registered
    JLA/Avengers was good fun. Seeing Supes with Cap's shield and Mjolnir was pretty sweet.
    www.streetfighter.ie
    PSN - ChopperByrne
    Only thing from the crossovers I can remember is Superboy (weird haircut/douche sunglasses version) fighting Hulk & Hulk was rocking some Lee Dungarees & sneakers....gonna go head & forget that again...
    Jack_Frost wrote: »

about to catch up on the new Gambit series...but does anyone have any input on the DC/Marvel crossover comics?

Some are good. But the DC vs Marvel was something that fans voted on who was the winner of each battle. So, some outcomes are atrocious.
    Pretty much, whenever you let fans determine storytelling outcomes, no one wins. Comic book fans are stupid.
    edited February 2013
    Jack_Frost wrote: »

Like most said, the majority of the Marvel / DC crossovers are really bad.

The Batman / Captain America one that takes place during World War II is quite enjoyable if you don't mind 60s TV show smilie face Batman. Also I won't spoil it but the ending is funny considering what's happened to the Bat family in recent years.

Both of the Spider-Man / Batman crossovers are fun if you're a fan of DeMatteis' work. The first one is Carnage and Joker and JMD hates Carnage and he was forced to write this lol! He did say that he enjoyed pairing up Carnage with the Joker, that made it fun for him. The second one is Kingpin and Ra's, a lot more serious and in some ways a better read. JMD likes the way this story turned out more too.

Other than JLA/Avengers can't think of anything else that stands out, that I've read anyway.

Wow, I forgot that J.M. DeMatteis wrote those comics. The Carnage/Joker one was pretty weak, though - I think Bagley drew that? Definitely not one of DeMatteis' finest moments.
  • LegendaryDJLegendaryDJ I'm Done Joined: Posts: 2,643Registered
    Man, it took me forever to find this thread again.

Anyway.

Yo Kaine! We bringin' back? We goin' there? It's goin' down.

I'd say yo Avengers and New Avengers, but we already know that's understood.

I like that Iron Man's in space now. Can't wait to see where that leads, and when Guardians starts up, I better see some cameo appearances in his book.

Lovin' Red She Hulk. This storyline is on that high concept madness that I find refreshing.

Loved the last two issues of Superior Spidey.

I'm catchin' up on my Venom, too and that's been nice.

Looked into that new Morbius comic too. It's nice, too.

Journey Into Mystery is nice following along. This Beserker storyline is cool. Actually finding out what happened to all of 'em and all.

Fantastic Four was nice and quaint. Nice little Valentines themed story. I can dig it.

Mystique gives zero F's. I respect that. All New X-men's been really strong so far.

And dat Uncanny... Dang.
    edited February 2013

I like that Iron Man's in space now. Can't wait to see where that leads, and when Guardians starts up, I better see some cameo appearances in his book.

That's the reason he's there lol. They're using Ironman to give GotG a rub. He's actually gonna be a psuedo member.
  • LegendaryDJLegendaryDJ I'm Done Joined: Posts: 2,643Registered
    That makes sense. I can dig it.
    edited February 2013

Looks like Jason Mamoa (Game of Thrones, Conan) will play Drax in the Gaurdians of the Galaxy movie. Interesting!

http://screenrant.com/jason-momoa-drax-destroyer-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

I know Iron man is the Cash cow golden boy right now for Marvel but they need to break this habit of taking the most popular character and throwing them in every title. There is a population of fans that still hate Wolverine, for being forced into too many titles and stories. Stark is cool don't burn him out.

Also, since Marvel Now started, why is this black Nick Fury appearing everywhere? I thought he was supposed to be from the Ultimates universe?
  • THE_KZATHE_KZA snikt snikt snikt Joined: Posts: 921Registered
    edited February 2013
    edited February 2013
    Also, since Marvel Now started, why is this black Nick Fury appearing everywhere? I thought he was supposed to be from the Ultimates universe?
    It's not the Nick Fury from the Ultimate universe, this Nick Fury is actually 616 Fury son. He and Agent Caulson were introduced into the current continuity during Fear Itself. So even though Ultimate Fury is black, and the movie Fury is really the Ultimate Fury, this isn't...even though it is....my head hurts...

edited February 2013
    Black Nick Fury and Agent Coulson are introduced into 616 in Battle Scars. The TPB for it is out so if you can give it a read, it's actually pretty good. I don't recall it having anything to do with Fear Itself though. Either way you definitely don't have to read Fear Itself (and please don't lol) to enjoy it, the book stands on its own.
  • Monster637Monster637 Rage Trigger Joined: Posts: 867Registered
    whats the deal with this age of ultron story there trying to push, is this gonna be another fucking event on top of a event.
    Sent From under Your bed......Using Your MOM!!!
    It's a story that was supposed to come out a long time ago but the artist was too slow. So they are taking what he did already, tweaking things and trying to make it fit into what's going on now in Marvel.

Age of Ultron was supppsed to be Bendis' swan song, using things he was building on for years in Avengers. But it got shelved because of the Marvel Now stuff.
    Glad you clarified that, b/c it never seemed to me that AoU naturally fit into what they're doing now.

Read Secret Avengers #1 - definitely another title to add to the pull list for now. 

Considering dropping Captain America if this next issue doesn't pick things up. Right now it's a subpar version of the Cable/Hope arc.