Which Street Fighter Alpha game is your favorite?

Comments

• TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 3,670Registered
    You go to Ikebukuro Las Vegas or Seven Islands in Yokohama nowadays and you'll see nothing but V-ism and infinites. Even characters like Rose and Vega are dominating.

WHOOOOOOOOOO~~!!!

:woot:
    "as long as it's his dog, anybody that believes in civil liberties should defend a man that just wants to fuck his dog in the privacy of his own home."
    -thurst
  • Xenozip.Xenozip. what a nincowpoop Joined: Posts: 3,942Registered
    You go to Ikebukuro Las Vegas or Seven Islands in Yokohama nowadays and you'll see nothing but V-ism and infinites. Even characters like Rose and Vega are dominating. I can see how it can be fun for the person doing the infinite, but I can't honestly say that those contribute to making it a good fighting game. Players with no knowledge of footsies and ground game can defeat more experienced players if it is a match of V-ism vs. A/X-ism, respectively. That's BECAUSE V-ism is so much better than the other two -isms that it makes up for the difference in player skill.
    I sort of agree, but for a different reason.

You're correct when you say that V-ism infinites can compensate for the difference between player's skill levels. However, it's very obviously not free in the case of normal VC's. If the opponent stays on the ground it's very difficult to land a VC, especially confirm a VC. Because many VC's are used on anticipation it can fail against a player who knows how to bait it and avoid getting hit by it all together.

Much like a DP or another anticipation-based tactic, they are very strong tools that are useful when you have a proper read on the opponent. But when the opponent is skilled, it becomes very difficult to land anything just on anticipation at all, since skilled opponents know how to avoid these types of things with baits and mindgames and very strong footsies.

But this is why you see this sort of thing working a lot at mid-level play. You can walk into any random arcade and see wakeup DP's and jump-ins and anti-air VC's and other anticipation-based subpar nonsense working, because mid-level players fall for it and don't protect themselves against it.

However, IMO the really scary thing is forced damage using the fundamental mechanics of the VC. When you apply unblockables, guardcrushes, and even confusion/mixup VC's it's hardly an anticipation based tactic anymore. Some characters can even combine the two for a fail-safe technique. For example, if your read fails you still have plan B; unblockable. Thus, you can still somewhat guarantee at least some damage just for having the necessary level of execution even if your preemptive activation fails.

In the hands of a skilled player, any random crouching short short that connects from a skilled V-Karin player can lead to 100% unblockable unavoidable knockout.

The good news is, that isn't actually what goes down in most matches. Even top level players can't guarantee a win off a short even though it's technically possible. Likewise, any random knockdown from Chun should also guarantee the win, but that rarely actually happens.

Still, it is a huge factor. And I think this is something players tend to forget about, though IMO it should be obvious.

For example; V-Akuma's unblockables aren't exactly difficult to execute and are applicable midscreen and corner. While they can be escaped, it isn't exactly easy to do so, especially when you factor in the crossup unblockables which are even harder to escape. So combining that with his meter rebuilding, extremely fast and high priority (lol shoto) normal moves, and good special moves, it really should be no wonder to anyone why he is so good and why fighting against him is such bullshit at times.

But you could say this about a lot of games.

You can walk into any random arcade and view the 3S machine and see Yun using SA.3 for forced damage victory, just from execution of the custom and not footsie-based skill. With this logic, Yun should destroy the game at the core level just like V-ism should destroy A3. But IMO this is not the case.

Though, it certainly can be an additional handicap-like functionality. At times, it's easy to say that some sub-level players are stealing wins because the character (or VC) is carrying the player. But really it's not as though it's free or guaranteed, and I don't believe it holds up at higher levels of play. Even with Yun in the game the mid and low tiers of 3S stand a chance at winning tournaments.

And I would say likewise for the A3 mid tier standing a chance even with the top tier V-ism characters in the game.

Don't get me wrong though, it is bullshit to some degree. But this is bullshit that I can forgive because I enjoy the game. Much like how I can forgive Yun for being Yun, and Chun for having parry > low forward > super and an enormous kara-throw. It doesn't get in the way of me enjoying the game, even when I play mid or low tier characters.
    Let's play.
  • Iczer oneIczer one chillin' at Buxi Bar Joined: Posts: 216Registered
    I don't see it as bullshit, especially not 3S-Yun-like bullshit (who controls a match with SA3, that's very much unlike A3). I agree in what makes V-ism good is it's flexibility, if it's not your full-damage VC it can still be a guard break or unblockable setup. But that's not broken, because most stuff IS escapable or can be avoided altogether, even if you have to make some small sacrifices every now and then. Even i found ways with Rose and her shitty A-Ism Alpha Counter. If i missed the opportunity to escape, it's my own fault, not the game's.
    Simplicity and complexity are not mutually exclusive, and more stuff does not equal a more complex game. (...)
    I'm not talking about stuff, i'm talking about what's going on in your head while you play it. In that regard i think nothing comes even close to A3 (maybe VF, but that's so different that it's hard to compare). Sometimes it's even hard to understand what is going on in the players heads when you watch a match for the first time. You have to interpret some situations, and that's special, because it's not necessary in most other games (like A2, it just doesn't offer anything surprising when i watch it). I hope you get what i'm trying to say, i know it sounds pretty :looney:
    A3's juggle engine is not appreciably more complex than A2's--it's definitely more liberal, but there's nothing especially complex about popping up your opponent and being able to hit him anywhere in the air as long as he hasn't been blown back too far.
    Thrust me, it IS complex, you can build whole strategies around it (i certainly do). The way you air-flip is very important most of the time, because the whole juggle thing IS a very strong part.
    A2 doesn't have a guard meter because it doesn't need one (...)
    It probably doesn't need one, but having no guard meter encourages conservative playing, especially when paired with strong AC's and CC's. That's not working in A3, where you HAVE to move your ass at a certain point. Taking risks, getting hit on purpose (e.g. V-Cody needs to do that a lot when he gets into trouble), always save an AC .. it actually has a stronger impact on gameplay than you may think.
    always coming back
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge Tyrannical Joined: Posts: 9,260Registered
    A3 Upper for the cast and Akuma being top tier.
    I killed her.

"And you're stronger now.  Isn't that what you've always wanted?"

Power.

"ABSOLUTE POWER."
  • SaBrESaBrE BAI BAI Joined: Posts: 4,495Registered, Moderators
    a3 is still my fav alpha game. but i recognize its massive flaws. ive never been for custom combo engines(as fun as they can be, however).
    AZ fighting game crew, team hAZmat

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
  • Unknown Joined:
    I have SF Alpha Anthology and the original SF Alpha 3 on the PSX; But when I played A2 I was actually feeling it more than playing A3. On the real, A3 is the shit but A2 got that feel to it you know? So I'd have to say A2 and Gold A2.
  • CI581CI581 Joined: Posts: 3,241Registered
    Alpha 2 has always been my favorite.
  • Saikyo JoeSaikyo Joe that awkward moment Joined: Posts: 2,537Registered
    I've had memories with Alpha 2.
    Saikyo Joe does whatever the hell Saikyo Joe wants to do - Luc

| OHC Chat | Ms. Fortune
  • technique121technique121 Joined: Posts: 218Registered
    Wow

blew my question out of the water but didn't we already have this vote before
  • SeanxFaytSeanxFayt aka KintoUn Joined: Posts: 560Registered
    A2 had the better soundtrack lol.
    . . .
  • otterotter PSN: MyBodyIsInfested Joined: Posts: 2,538Registered
    A3 Upper seems to give the good version a bad wrap. "But it has Final Fantasy mode and emo Ryu!"
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Needs more Crisco. Joined: Posts: 3,192Registered
    A2 all day
    Learn Street Fighter Alpha 2! http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162792
    This plays when Chuck Norris uses the bathroom
  • DreamfireDreamfire Joined: Posts: 159Registered
    I liek alpha2. :clapdos:
    <randomdps> Yes, it's like your characters are walking through a sea of gummy bears
    Darian on how slow A3 is.

<Hakero> fucking brazil is in tropical geography
    I just wanted to throw out that in A2, ACs get raped when abused. I just played a guy the other day who did all acs with Ken. 90% of them got OS into a uppercut/super.

A3 isn't my cup of tea, but alot of way that game plays I really hate. Doesn't feel like a SF game, but I mainly play A2 and ST so yeah. Both games do have their BS though. Nothing is as simple as "ACs ruin A2" or "Infinites break A3". It is what is is, I play the one which IMO has the least bullshit in it and feels like a more solid game.
    Learn Street Fighter Alpha 2! http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162792
  • AudioCGAudioCG Bang The Machine Joined: Posts: 877Registered
    A2 all the way.
    AV provided by Savaii
  • dman1963dman1963 Tiger................................. Joined: Posts: 93Registered
    I like hyper for the fact you have access to all my money characters.. Alpha 1 Akuma, Alpha 2 Sagat, and vamps- ism claw
    (SF2 Series) Claw, Sagat (SFA series)Sagat, Adon,Gouki, Claw (SF3series)- Gouki, Dudley
    (SFIV Series ) Adon, Sagat, Claw, Dudley (SFex series) Gouki,Sagat, Claw, Darun
    Rushdown, Zoning, Grappling, Poking, I can do it all...lol
  • strizzmatikstrizzmatik Brick = Shat Joined: Posts: 255Registered
    A2 all the way. Not that I disliked A3 that much, but the faggy juggle system and lame hitbox/CH properties were not things I liked to see in any SF game. A2 definitely has its bullshit but that's balanced out with great tier compression (unless you factor in E.Ryu or Shin Akuma of course) and the fact that almost any character can win at high-level. It also IMO has the best mix of the post-3 newer SF gameplay with the footsie-based spacing that gives it the old-school feel. CCs are riddick but no worse than A3 infinites, SF3's Genei-Jin/Chun-Li BS or SF4's reliance on Ultras, and ACs can be easily reversed if you look for them.

A2 >>> A3 >>>>>>>>>>>> A1
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,256Registered
    totally agreed.. let's not forget about the great music and cool backgrounds.
    A3 is kind of meh in these departments as well.
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
  • Faith From HellFaith From Hell Less Ego = More Soul Joined: Posts: 1,296Registered
    No option to like them all? Aww.

I fell in love with the series because of Alpha 1.

I fell in love with competition because of Alpha 2.

I fell in love with tournaments because of Alpha 3.

Alpha 2 OST > Alpha 2 Gold OST

I will always love the artwork and colors that made the game much more alluring than the 3 series.

My favorite things about Alpha 1?: Akuma, Ryu's close fierce Hadoken, Charlie, Guy, Rose, Ken's voice, Sodom's s.RH kick on opponent wake-up (LOL), chain combos. Soundtrack. (Guy's arranged theme, Akuma's original theme, Dan's arranged theme, lots of them!) Damage scaling (practically none, yay!) Sagat's 7 hit Tiger Blow (he didn't call it an uppercut, did he?) Sagat's intro fighting Ryu.

My favorite things about Alpha 2?: Ken, competition (yay, balance!), classic feel, last time your shoto can sweep cancel into a hadoken, grass stage, waterfall stage, Bison's ending (this game did seem kind of darker), intro music, Ryu's stage and Ryu's ORIGINAL stage theme, Gen's theme, Guy's stage, Shadowloo Cammy, SHIN AKUUUMAAAAA, Evil Ryu (which was much better than the one in A3), selecting your own win pose. Unique Shun Goku Satsu finish screen. CCs.

My favorite things about Alpha 3?: Guy, lots of cool themes (Rose, Zangief, Ryu, etc., dramatic battle theme is siiiiiiiiiick and the PS1 stages for it were cool), juggles like a mofo, selecting your own win pose without holding start/select, fighting against Rolento, Karin Kanzuki, lots of characters, wish I could play Ingrid, win quotes, world tour mode. Ryu's tatsumakisempuukyaku that would dizzy you in like 3 hits. Shin Dictator. Ryu's 1% chance to be powerful Shin Shoryuken (pulled it off properly maybe twice ever - wtf Capcom). Shin Akuma and Evil Ryu's intro. Ken and Ryu's intro. ISMs.

I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there's more.
    Fighting game status: Hiatus
    Current gaming status: GOTTA GO FAST

"I'm sorry, but once you have to clean a public female restroom on a daily basis, you have earned the right to punch bitches in the face." -Ryusuke
  • HakeroHakero crazy fucker Joined: Posts: 51Registered
    a2 for noobs but a3 for top level players
    afro legends : We will beat Japan one day at this game. I promise
    Hakero : ROFL
  • PenancePenance Beast of Blood Joined: Posts: 185Registered
    Alpha 2 gold. just a nice balance in play mechanics, dosn't feel watered down with utterly worthless characters (juri, Juli) and has a better custom combo system IMO.
    Cant stop me
    Got a middle finger degree
    Out for everybody to see
  • DreamfireDreamfire Joined: Posts: 159Registered
    Alpha 2 gold. just a nice balance in play mechanics, dosn't feel watered down with utterly worthless characters (juri, Juli) and has a better custom combo system IMO.

*Vomits*
    <randomdps> Yes, it's like your characters are walking through a sea of gummy bears
    Darian on how slow A3 is.

<Hakero> fucking brazil is in tropical geography

A2G was a failure of balancing lol
  • DaoDao I'm so nice. Joined: Posts: 22Registered
    a3 dramatic battle
    av by csphere
    a3 dramatic battle

Yes that clearly makes A3 better lol I'm pretty sure A2G had i too.
  • PenancePenance Beast of Blood Joined: Posts: 185Registered
    A2G was a failure of balancing lol

*shrugs* to each their own, it felt right to ME.
    Cant stop me
    Got a middle finger degree
    Out for everybody to see
    *shrugs* to each their own, it felt right to ME.

Well I dont see how the cc system was better. Enlighten me.
  • doujinshi_2001doujinshi_2001 Superman That Ho Joined: Posts: 2,418Registered

i'm sure you think sf2 koryuu has a "nice balance in play mechanics" as well.
    Niggas got carlos canceled two days in a row. - Adam Warlock
    Pokemon Heart Gold: 5242 4130 9548
    i'm sure you think sf2 koryuu has a "nice balance in play mechanics" as well.

Felt right to ME.
  • FUNFUN At ease, losah Joined: Posts: 215Registered
    Played Super and ST when they came out but what really got me into SF were Alpha 2 and 2I, so I'm voting for that.

A3 is close tho, even if only because more people play it.
    3rd Strike: Alex, Elena/Last Blade 2: Okina (Power), Amano (Power)/Vampire Savior 2: Lei-Lei/Mark of the Wolves: Jae, B. Jenet