new member new problems

joojiemanjoojieman Joined: Posts: 1Registered
  First off hello all and thanks for such an awesome and active community.
So I just picked up ssfiv ae and im starting with ken just to get used to playing. First off im no good according to the fact that I can't neat arcade mode on medium. I have no experience with fighting games. I ordered a fight stick (madcatz mlg te) it should be here in two days. Im good on execution as far as special moves go but I suck at combos and timing. Im not glued to ken and my style thus far is more rush down. My question is what can I do to improve? Is practicing against the a.i.  enough to get me started? I really want to improve. All answers are appreciated.

Comments

• density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 703Registered, Premium
    Play the game, a lot

If you can get out to a local scene, do it. If you can't then you're kind stuck with online, either way grind out matches and spend lots of time in training mode
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
  • The MartianThe Martian I squee for Squigly. Joined: Posts: 1,418Registered
    If you're having trouble against Medium A.I, you've got a long road ahead of you.

Eat, sleep and breath the game. Spend hours just in training mode. Look up high level play of your character, and emulate their tactics into your playstyle. 
    Skullgirls| DOA| Alpha 3| SSFIV
    I like Valentine, Mila, and Cammy.
    XBL: The Martian IV
  • Wisdom_in_silenceWisdom_in_silence Joined: Posts: 19Registered
    joojieman said:
    So I just picked up ssfiv ae and im starting with ken just to get used to playing. First off im no good according to the fact that I can't neat arcade mode on medium. I have no experience with fighting games. I ordered a fight stick (madcatz mlg te) it should be here in two days. Im good on execution as far as special moves go but I suck at combos and timing. Im not glued to ken and my style thus far is more rush down. My question is what can I do to improve? Is practicing against the a.i.  enough to get me started? I really want to improve. All answers are appreciated.

Don't put pressure on yourself. That is unfair. You need to enjoy the game. I can understand that you, maybe, are inspired by some great matches between the top players, but you're not in their league. It will take you a looooooong time to master the game. I'm talking "at least" 6 months. So, don't put pressure on yourself. Look up Ken tutorials on YouTube. If, you don't like Ken then by all means switch to another character. There are 39 characters to choose from. I would advise having 2-3 characters. That way you won't get bored, and you'll understand the game better. All the best.

(Rises along with Master Gouken and walks off)..........

• joojiemanjoojieman Joined: Posts: 1Registered
    Well I changed my controller I was using a ps3 afterglow that I bought for my daughter. I dont know if there is something wrong with it but just using a regular controller seems to help a ton. I beat arcade without any mishaps. I also play as yun. Im thinking of maining him when I get a little better. After some more time in training I'll be seeing you guys out there. Thank you for the answers. 
  • Wisdom_in_silenceWisdom_in_silence Joined: Posts: 19Registered
    joojieman said:
    Well I changed my controller I was using a ps3 afterglow that I bought for my daughter. I dont know if there is something wrong with it but just using a regular controller seems to help a ton. I beat arcade without any mishaps. I also play as yun. Im thinking of maining him when I get a little better. After some more time in training I'll be seeing you guys out there. Thank you for the answers. 

No problem. Keep it up.
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,213Registered
    joojieman said:
    Find combo to practice. Practice the combo with the dummy on auto block.

Then practice the combo with the dummy on random block to see if you can hit-confirm.

Ken's most consistent combo is cr.lk cr.lp cr.lp link HP Shoryuken.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - Why the hell haven't you read this yet?

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.