Worst fighting game system?(or engine, if you prefer)Why that one?

Comments

• -AEON--AEON- Joined: Posts: 315Registered
    tataki said:
    You guys have become spoiled.

You can't call another FG "Bad" as long as Tattoo Assassins exists.
    I knew from the multi-hitting fart attack in the thumbnail that this would be worth watching. I was right.
    The reason I don't stream is because the chances of me accidentally exposing my dick to the world is too high. I forget stuff way too often, I almost burn my place down because I forgot I was cooking at least once every 3 months. If I started livestreaming I would load up a Taylor Swift video, forget I had a webcam and a stream and then...
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Just one more sip Joined: Posts: 595Registered
    Thread title has changed again lol
    Wonder what it'll be tomorrow :o
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 9,879Registered
    bchan009 said:
    d3v said:
    MUGEN
    I'm sure you could make a good game with MUGEN if you made all the characters yourself and they had a unified system where everything worked together.  

Unfortunately, most people just grab a bunch of shit versions of ryu made by 18 different authors and slam them together into a "game".

It's a pretty cool engine with a lot of options if you actually put work in.  Shame people just use it to make shitty ____ vs ____ vids on youtube.
    bleh, the only neat thing about it is that its so easy you don't need to know anything at all about software development to "make a fighting game."

somehow I'm sure the ease in customization would prove problematic trying to turn it into a legitimate game that you are trying to distribute to a larger scale audience
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • jedpossumjedpossum What you say? Joined: Posts: 2,667Registered
    edited March 2013
    Was the title edited... by a non-English speaking 10 year old? /:)

WHY DAT!?

Once we all figured the true extent of it's unfair, boring brokenness at the high level, A3 died the death it deserved. A2 was always the better game, and indeed, had one of the best fighting game engines Capcom ever developed outside of 3s and ST.

CvS2 is what killed A3 not the "brokenness". And, you're confusing game play with engine.
    tataki said:

Necro Storm is worse than Tattoo Assassins
    If you mention Jojo's expect a long talk.
    Computer memory doesn't lie the heads up display can.
  • factory9factory9 ARCANA HEARTO TWEEEE Joined: Posts: 928Registered
    bchan009 said:
    d3v said:
    MUGEN
    I'm sure you could make a good game with MUGEN if you made all the characters yourself and they had a unified system where everything worked together.  

Unfortunately, most people just grab a bunch of shit versions of ryu made by 18 different authors and slam them together into a "game".

It's a pretty cool engine with a lot of options if you actually put work in.  Shame people just use it to make shitty ____ vs ____ vids on youtube.
    Case in point: KOF Zillion
    edited March 2013
    Street Fighter The Movie The Game (Arcade).
    that game is absolutely retarded in the best ways possible

I played it for like a couple hours with some dude at WB7 and it was a fucking blast. We were just finding goofy shit all over the place. I got to show off Akuma's tatsu infinite and Sagat's retarded LP Tiger Uppercut juggles for example.
  • rayplayrayplay aka solidoutlaw Joined: Posts: 1,386Registered
    I dislike MvC3's fighting system because it just has so many bad design decisions, both in gameplay and balance. TAC's are random, and a developer decided to make it so that they disable hit stun scaling instead of just resetting it or something. X-Factor is the single worst mechanic to ever happen to fighting games, and throws in that game are retarded as fuck. Then you have balance decisions that make no sense at all. It's okay for Magneto to have every tool anyone could want, but you can't give Arthur a dash? It's okay for Vergil and Zero to have safe, powerful offense but Phoenix Wright has to resort to literal luck?
    PSN: rayplay
    Currently a practitioner of the Kitchen Fist Fire Chaos Style!
    "Fall down seven times, get up eight." - T.O.M.
    rayplay said:
    I dislike MvC3's fighting system because it just has so many bad design decisions, both in gameplay and balance. TAC's are random, and a developer decided to make it so that they disable hit stun scaling instead of just resetting it or something. X-Factor is the single worst mechanic to ever happen to fighting games, and throws in that game are retarded as fuck. Then you have balance decisions that make no sense at all. It's okay for Magneto to have every tool anyone could want, but you can't give Arthur a dash? It's okay for Vergil and Zero to have safe, powerful offense but Phoenix Wright has to resort to literal luck?
    Let's not forget Hsien-Ko who for whatever reason isn't allowed any form of good mobility even though that's completely unfaithful to the original character design.
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX Whiteboard Gangsta Toad Joined: Posts: 2,900Registered
    pherai wrote: »
    nice, a thread about fighting games you hate
    also thanks very much about letting us know which games some random stream monsters hate. im very interested to know a random person on the internet thinks A3 sucks
    A funnier person might've made this one thing I just saw

Some named player should say Divekick is bad because its just one button into One Billion damage. And a lot of downtime between rounds and taking control again. But they will probably just say: "This game is ass" while they play it anyway.
    - Shoryuken.com: your fun party settings fighting game edge!!
    - "Ryan is the man! Who would have thought his skills at dancing would surpass his skills at SF?"
    -- SF2: Piano/Guitar | SF3:Saxophone/Violin/DJ | SF4: Drums/Auto-tune | SFxT: Trash can drums/Tuba/Accordion.
    > KokuNukiCup @EVO 2013: Americahn Large Oppai WOAH King Gi Dora Sluts in the ballpit, Shibuya ShortShortsSuper Sportsland
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX Whiteboard Gangsta Toad Joined: Posts: 2,900Registered
    factory9 wrote: »
    Let's not forget Hsien-Ko who for whatever reason isn't allowed any form of good mobility even though that's completely unfaithful to the original character design.
    Forgot to post in that topic about "If you were to put a MvC3 character into another game, like Street Fighter (highlights just the only 2 games this player in the OP had played so far of course), they would be top tier because they have so many options!"

Put Hsien-Ko in another game huh, more options you say.  But no need to pile on that camp who will never find out why Hsien Ko was so bad in Marvel 3. One dudes name is that incarnate with: leileilol
    - Shoryuken.com: your fun party settings fighting game edge!!
    - "Ryan is the man! Who would have thought his skills at dancing would surpass his skills at SF?"
    -- SF2: Piano/Guitar | SF3:Saxophone/Violin/DJ | SF4: Drums/Auto-tune | SFxT: Trash can drums/Tuba/Accordion.
    > KokuNukiCup @EVO 2013: Americahn Large Oppai WOAH King Gi Dora Sluts in the ballpit, Shibuya ShortShortsSuper Sportsland
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 9,879Registered
    pherai wrote: »
    nice, a thread about fighting games you hate
    also thanks very much about letting us know which games some random stream monsters hate. im very interested to know a random person on the internet thinks A3 sucks
    A funnier person might've made this one thing I just saw

Some named player should say Divekick is bad because its just one button into One Billion damage. And a lot of downtime between rounds and taking control again. But they will probably just say: "This game is ass" while they play it anyway.
    lololol if I played A3 that would make such a bomb avatar

someone make a 3s version!
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 8,941Registered
    League of Legends easily has the worst fighting game engine I've ever played.
  • DavDzDavDz Joined: Posts: 308Registered
    I generally don't like any fighting game that emphasizes too much on juggles. Specifically those where you're pretty much helpless until the juggle ends [I'm looking at you Tekken.]

But that's just something I dislike. I wouldn't call it a "bad fighting game" by any stretch of the imagination. 

As many gripes as I have with games like 3S, Alpha 3, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, etc....I would rather play those than games such as War Gods, Tattoo Assassin, Rise Of The Robots, etc

• The MartianThe Martian I squee for Squigly. Joined: Posts: 1,418Registered
    J.D said:
    KOFXII has the shitties gameplay to ever appear on the face of this earth.
    Says the Marvel player  =))
    Skullgirls| DOA| Alpha 3| SSFIV
    I like Valentine, Mila, and Cammy.
    XBL: The Martian IV
  • OrehRatiugOrehRatiug Joined: Posts: 48Registered

tataki said:

I beg to differ.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DPWme0tRBzA
  • DavDzDavDz Joined: Posts: 308Registered
    That's still nowhere near as bad as Tattoo Assassins

• HecatomHecatom 'dat plot Joined: Posts: 8,032Registered
    edited March 2013
    Koiyuki said:
    I was watching the Salty Cupcakes stream(Skullgirls tourney every Thursday @ 7PM-whenever they decide it's time to turn in, typically 'round 2-3AM), when I heard Mike Z say something interesting about Persona 4 Arena, namely that it was the worst fighting game system he's ever got his hands on. He never went into a lot of details, but he seemed to be reserving a truck load of beef about it, including stuff like the 2 button Shoryus(e.g. Yu's Big Gamble).What, to you guys, strike you as candidate for the worst you ever played, and why?(in that same stream, one of the Stream Monsters named SFA3 as one of the worst, Garou, from another). 

For me, although I do bear in mind it's an alpha, and thus not representative of the final product, Fighting is Magic felt like the least fluid of any fighting game I've ever played, and would definitely benefit from a helping of QA TLC, should anything ever come of what they have left after HASBRO brought down the legal banhammer
    It is me or since SG got published Mikes like to talk a lot of shit about other games. Dunno but i feel that he has become quite arrogant, almost like he thinks that if things are done differently than the SG way then they are wrong, the worst part that there are a lot of Mikedrones that like to repeat all the shit ad nauseam ugh...

I am also surprised that he made so huge mistake to confuse engine with game mechanics
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
  • LemresLemres Joined: Posts: 503Registered
    I have to say A2. It felt slow and sluggish and it just didn't click with me. A3 is much more fast paced.
    Karin Kanzuki!
    SSF4-Ibuki, Rose(sorta)
    SFA3-Karin
    SFxT-Karin+Nina,Lili, whoever else interests me.
    BTW isn't this thread basically a Versus thread, something that are prohibited on this section?

On Topic
    Million Knights Vermillion deserves a mention mostly because it was full of promises but in the end was quite shitty :(
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!

Hecatom said:
    BTW isn't this thread basically a Versus thread, something that are prohibited on this section?

On Topic
    Million Knights Vermillion deserves a mention mostly because it was full of promises but in the end was quite shitty :(
      Yeah, a lot of the posts in this thread do seem to be more of "WAAAAAH I DON'T LIKE THIS GAME" versus it actually being about a truly shitty game.
    The major problem is that it seems that not many are aware of what is an engine and what are game mechanics/ game features
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
  • d3vd3v Grumpy Infraction Machine Joined: Posts: 18,541Registered, Moderators
    Hecatom said:
    The major problem is that it seems that not many are aware of what is an engine and what are game mechanics/ game features
    It would be more correct to say that people have been using the wrong terms for so long that it's easy to confuse them nowadays. The term "engine" is almost always used in the wrong context in fighting game discussions.
    Pinoy2DFighters - The Philippines brings you 3 things: terrorists, trolls and ass beatings in MAHVELL.
    D3Vlicious.com - Fighting game and arcade stick news.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious
    PSN: unityd3v (US), pinakaguwaping (HK)
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 3,969Registered
    ST is actually a good example of a popular game with a bad/buggy engine:
    - Inconsistent input windows
    - Game speed that varies across stages
    - Using frame skipping to achieve higher speeds (makes reversals impossible sometimes)
    - Some moves cannot be used as reversals (you get the last special performed instead)
    - 50% chance of some O.Characters' moves becoming 1f unblockable (most notably O.Ryu air tatsu;  I think Ken's HP DP also has this property)
    - "Stored" moves

WW is a game with a bad system (and engine - Guile handcuffs etc):
    - No reversal specials (have fun escaping Sim's throw loops)
    - Critical hurtboxes (critical damage on certain moves/stances)
    - Random, 1-in-512 special moves and blocking (press a button, randomly get a special)

Speaking of ST, weren't most Capcom games up to the early 2,000s (including MvC2) running on heavily "hacked" versions of it.
    Pinoy2DFighters - The Philippines brings you 3 things: terrorists, trolls and ass beatings in MAHVELL.
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 3,969Registered
    d3v said:
    Speaking of ST, weren't most Capcom games up to the early 2,000s (including MvC2) running on heavily "hacked" versions of it.
    I doubt it.  ST ran on CPS2.  MvC2 ran on NAOMI.  It's possible that they tried to port pieces of the engine though.  In any case, most of Capcom's fighters back then were notoriously buggy.  On the other hand, games like Tekken 3 were (for the most part) rock solid.  It had it's fair share of bugs, but they weren't as likely to affect gameplay.
    edited March 2013

From what i understand the engine used for MvC2 is a improved and optimized for Naomi version of the SFST engine
    By that time Capcom used 3 or 4 different engines for their 2d games

The ST engine, the Alpha series engine, the SF3 series engine and depending who you ask the CVS2 engine (I am not sure about this one since it seems to be a heavily moded Alpha series engine)

It is not uncommon for software developers to reuse and improve their code. Take SF4 and SFxT for example, both run on the same game engine. Also keep in mind that while the ST engine was developed originally for CPS2 that doesn't mean that it can only be used on that hardware, they can and did port the engine to newer hardware.

( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    edited March 2013
    Hecatom said:

From what i understand the engine used for MvC2 is a improved and optimized for Naomi version of the SFST engine
    By that time Capcom used 3 or 4 different engines for their 2d games

This is what I mean. I recall it was one of the older players who mentioned this some time ago (can't remember who, probably shoultz).
  • jedpossumjedpossum What you say? Joined: Posts: 2,667Registered
    That's the general gist of it.
    If you mention Jojo's expect a long talk.
    Computer memory doesn't lie the heads up display can.
  • IglooBobIglooBob play 3s it's a good game Joined: Posts: 1,299Registered
    So was the sf3 engine a different beast altogether?
  • Sanada-kunSanada-kun Joined: Posts: 197Registered
    None of the fighting games I have played have had what I would call a bad system but the worst that I have played is definately UMvC3. TAC's, Infinites, XFactor can't say I care for any of those aspects of the game.