Which is more important to Ryu's game, his hadouken or shoryuken?

farhanniusfarhannius Joined: Posts: 133Registered
Was having a debate with a friend over which move is more important to Ryu. He claims the shoyuken is more important, I claim the hadouken. His fireball is his absolute primary zoning and footsie tool. It's the move that Ryu's use to dictate the horizontal space and control the opponents movements. So many times I throw fireballs to make them jump in, and then boom I hit em with a shoryuken which then gives me my mix up game. But it all started with the fireball. Other notable tools include the ex fireball in the corner which of course can lead to ultra. Also the fact the the fireball is an option select from low forward, which you can mix up with no fireball at all or a tatsu if they're FADCing through the fireball. So his hadouken has many space controlling uses and is the reason why I rate it so highly.

My friend however makes a decent argument too. He says a lp DP can lead to a full ultra, such an easy ultra set up. His DP is one of the best anti-airs in the game and of course leads to FADC ultra for good damage. If you have two bars of meter and ultra, it will change the way the opponent plays, which you can use to your advantage. This respect that he has for your two bars and ultra comes from the power that is your shoryuken. For me though I still think his hadouken is more paramount. Ryu is zoning and footsies first (in my opinion), and anti-airs and srk FADC ultra second. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• littlescumbaglittlescumbag Joined: Posts: 262Registered
    ryu is more a Hadou based character (shinku hadouken,metsu hadouken), which "should" mean his hadouken(S) is his main wepon ! not saying that his srk is not godlike,it is! but not near as good as ken's

and ken is more of a "shouryuken guy" (shoryurepa,shinryuken)...

so you were right and your friend was wrong!
    GFWL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Cammy/Evil Ryu/Akuma/Sagat/Fei Long
    XBL: LittleScumbag : Main: Ryu... Subs: Cammy/Evil Ryu/Akuma/Sagat/Fei Long
    PSN : LittleScumbag : stoped playing here
  • farhanniusfarhannius Joined: Posts: 133Registered
    ryu is more a Hadou based character (shinku hadouken,metsu hadouken), which "should" mean his hadouken(S) is his main wepon ! not saying that his srk is not godlike,it is! but not near as good as ken's

and ken is more of a "shouryuken guy" (shoryurepa,shinryuken)...

so you were right and your friend was wrong!
    Lol okay thanks. Btw I'm starting to get better playing with stick, I'll give you a few games sometime.
  • JawangJawang Joined: Posts: 140Registered
    Ryu can play very strong footsies without fireballs due to his excellent normals. His DP is way more important

Not having a reversal would completely ruin you in many matchups. Whereas a fireball is rarely even usable against many characters
    UCLAplayer
  • DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,454Registered
    Dp is probably more important in SF4....but this is a pretty dumb question. Take away either and he's not much of a character.
    Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/