Ambiguous cross-up set up

ErawanErawan 9999th Best Sagat on XBL - Top 10,000 baby!Joined: Posts: 95Registered
Can you guys give me some advice/tips on how to set up an ambiguous cross-up off a back throw (and more if you have it!)? I've seen GamerBee (to name one), take a small step back, sometimes I've seen a normal thrown in too, before he goes for the set up. I've tried to do this myself, but the opponent guesses right 90% of the time, lol. Maybe - no, obviously I'm not doing it right and it's WAY too obvious.

I have experimented a little and the only 'consistent' set up I have come up with is:

Back throw > crLP > jfMK - crosses up
Back throw > crMP > jfMK - does not cross up

Now, this is great in that it seems to work perfectly everytime (very limited testing so far though), BUT and this is a big but, if the opponent knows what to look for/reads this post (lol)/is observant, then what I'm going to do next is a clear as day. So, any tips? Or am I just overthinking this?
(Talking about Daigo) "i dont see how someone who is good at SF gets to be a celebrity because i bet theres plenty of people that would beat him that dont go to tournaments, and is he good at the megadrive version or the newer releases for ps3 and 360" - Comment by SpoilerAlert, Kotaku
23 Aug 2011 3:32 AM

Comments

• density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 703Registered, Premium
    What I heard Gamerbee talk about when he analyzed one of his matches was that he jumps from the same distance every time, but if he presses the button early it won't cross up, and if he presses it later it will. That's much more difficult to react to.
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
  • ErawanErawan 9999th Best Sagat on XBL - Top 10,000 baby! Joined: Posts: 95Registered
    edited March 2013
    Aaaah! I thought I had figured out something like that, but I couldn't do it consistently so just put it down to poor execution. Will look into it again!

Any chance you have a link to the video? I'd be interested in hearing him analyse his matches.
    (Talking about Daigo) "i dont see how someone who is good at SF gets to be a celebrity because i bet theres plenty of people that would beat him that dont go to tournaments, and is he good at the megadrive version or the newer releases for ps3 and 360" - Comment by SpoilerAlert, Kotaku
    23 Aug 2011 3:32 AM
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 703Registered, Premium

He starts talking about the j.MK stuff at like 6:00~
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog