Screw you and your subscriber only chat rooms

1235»

Comments

• KarnovKarnovKarnovKarnov Joined: Posts: 203Registered
    What if suddenly..... paid stream chat drives the people that desire free stream chat into IRC?

I think free stream chat ought to be a good thing, because back in the day of the arcades, it didn't cost anything to simply walk in and join in on the hype of people watching a hype match.  If anything, there ought to be MORE ways for the remote audience to cheer for what's happening, ways that are both free and that allow donations/monetary support/fees.  We are fans and homers just like the fans and homers of every other thing that has fans and homers.  We should have our equivalents of flags and banners and vuvuzelas and all that other junk that you can wave or make noise with. Rather than trying to clamp off hype that seems rude and crude, we should be looking to for ways to include it as well, even if it needs to be segregated from the other fans in the same way as people at a soccer stadium.
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 3,147Registered
     Either support the hardworking TO, support the hardworking streamer, or shut the fuck up and watch your damn matches.
    "how far in life do you have to sink when you go to a tournament just to hold up a sign" NickGuy
  • d3vd3v Grumpy Infraction Machine Joined: Posts: 18,541Registered, Moderators
    Streams should have a bot that automatically deletes the Twitch account of anyone who posts a "kappa" or "pogchamp."
    Pinoy2DFighters - The Philippines brings you 3 things: terrorists, trolls and ass beatings in MAHVELL.
    D3Vlicious.com - Fighting game and arcade stick news.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious
    PSN: unityd3v (US), pinakaguwaping (HK)
  • Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 463Registered
    edited March 2013
    As I see it there are three issues:
    1. Streamers wanting to get paid
    2. Sheer logistics of having a chat with 10,000 people in it
    3. People saying offensive things on the world's view into your event

I feel like subscriber-only is primarily motivated by #2, but maybe I'm too idealistic.

For #1, I'm not sure what the answer is--I don't think anyone is.  Very few streamers make any money doing it, and I don't think that's a goal for most of them--they'd be happy to break even.  It'd be nice if they could make money off of commercials (though people will cry about those too), but internet advertising isn't what it was in 1998.
    If you appreciate the stream you should support it--including with your wallet--but that doesn't mean that streamers can or should be able to just put their hand out and expect your money.  If the people who do subscribe to chat at majors are making it happen for the streamer, then they will keep on doing what they're doing no matter how much you whine.  But if it's not working it just means that they have a failed "business model" (if they are, in fact, trying to run like a business) and it's not the consumer's fault.

What if suddenly..... paid stream chat drives the people that desire free stream chat into IRC?

Actually I think that's a good solution to #s 2 and 3.  You solve the thousands-of-people problem by having a bunch of channels.  You solve the random racist/homophobic/whatever comments by disassociating yourself from the chat.  And channels can deem themselves uncensored or family-friendly and moderate accordingly.
    You can have #NJ_Watches_Evo and wisecrack with the guys you see at your local tournaments.  You can have #Hakan_Players_Watch_Evo and have the channel blow up when a Hakan player comes on stream.  You can have #SRK_Watches_Evo_Room_27 and chat with random people from the other side of the world.  And you can even be in all three at the same time.
    New Jersey
  • Raz0rRaz0r Just as planned... Joined: Posts: 3,958Registered
    Doc Robot wrote: »
    I wanna weight in here, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Let me try and put this in a way that my intended audience will understand...<br />
    >implying 4chan is the entire Internet<br />
    >implying that you're a part of the FGC>implying that you don't just want to keep trolling for free>implying that hype is "Kappa" and "Spooby Please"<br />
    Either pay up or go the fuck away. I'd prefer you did the latter, but I can see some benefit from the former, too.

I go to tournaments all the time and would like to see a free chat. I don't talk in it much but sometimes they give commentators material.
    [15:28:51] <epsilon-> whats another word for poor
    [15:28:54] <Viscant> black

twitter.com/raz0rw0rk
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 9,879Registered

I think free stream chat ought to be a good thing, because back in the day of the arcades, it didn't cost anything to simply walk in and join in on the hype of people watching a hype match.  If anything, there ought to be MORE ways for the remote audience to cheer for what's happening, ways that are both free and that allow donations/monetary support/fees.  We are fans and homers just like the fans and homers of every other thing that has fans and homers.  We should have our equivalents of flags and banners and vuvuzelas and all that other junk that you can wave or make noise with. Rather than trying to clamp off hype that seems rude and crude, we should be looking to for ways to include it as well, even if it needs to be segregated from the other fans in the same way as people at a soccer stadium.
    lol stream chat is not analogous to the arcade experience. its closer to the opposite of the arcade experience if anything.
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • yoh001yoh001 Joined: Posts: 75Registered
    I will support spooby.
  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> Dancing on your head Joined: Posts: 2,747Registered
    Krisp wrote: »
    I watch a stream, I talk about what's going on, sometimes see people I know or converse with the chat.
    How in the world can you carry on a conversation in a large stream filled with Kappas and BibleThumps?
    Firebrand/Dormammu/Sentinel
    Don't bother with the whole name, three easy letters: INH
    LaziestUsernameEver
    "You hate to see this kind of thing happen." - Chris Matrix "I don't!" - DJ Huoshen