I lost every match i played online

Comments

• Scrubby AdrianScrubby Adrian Joined: Posts: 117Registered
    I felt the same way when I first started SF4. I had played games like SF2, ST, Xmen vs SF, etc etc. I thought I was good and was getting wrecked. I went like 50/50 all over the place. I started playing with people locally and recording my matches to watch where I was making mistakes.

It seems kind of lame but even if you can't record a match, get a pen and paper. Anytime you get hit or caught by something that makes you go "Wait... how did that hit me?" write it down. Look it up. Ask us here. We will do our best to give you a hand.

It's a steep learning curve to get into the "higher" end of Street Fighter, and other fighting games, to get to the point where you understand the mechanics, how to win and the ability to understand why it is you lost... It takes time, bro. Depending on how often you can play and for how long, I would really say you're looking at a good 2-3 months before the fog even starts to clear. 6 months + before you can really absorb what is going on. As has been previously mentioned, it's a steep curve.
    MvC3! Because SF4 wasn't quite easy enough for you.
  • Will GottiWill Gotti Born Again Hooligan Joined: Posts: 740Registered
    A couple of words of wisdom from when I lived in Washington up in Fort Lewis. I left Washington 10 years ago April 2002 and these words stuck with me. I hung around with all the best players from the Northwest forums. One friend who was a road dog and a top Tekken player told me, "surround yourself with success". Simple as that. It will only make you become better. Scrub tactics should be nothing for you and you'll gain insight from better players. Just translate that over to any game. I always did hang around the better players in whatever area I was in, that phrase/ideology never dawned on me until he told me one day in casual conversation while we were playing. It never dawned on me because I was doing it anyways without giving it much thought. Quitting before you even get started shouldn't be an option.
    - This thread is DiGiorno - Wolfkiller
    - Daniel LaRusso to Lucille LaRusso - Are you on something? Yea, I'm on Minute Maid.
    SRK Kobra Kai [The Duke Togo - Zipper upper of bodybags] - It's Will Gotti M.D. Bitch, Dazzler of Mademoiselles
    AV by Yeah Dood 120%
  • tharimrattlertharimrattler Colossus Legend Joined: Posts: 3,026Registered
    when i started playing competitively I lost at least 100 times without winning. Learn from your losses and you will improve.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 9,879Registered
    I also want to know why the character Dudly. Because from the sounds of it, this would reflect maybe that you're picking something that doesn't suit your playstyle.

new players dont have a playstyle
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic キコケン Joined: Posts: 1,328Registered
    I'm completely fine when someone's better than me,what i don't like is the fact that everybody seems to use cheap tactics.

Stop right there. There are no cheap tactics. If someone is just sitting back and waiting for you to do something and punishing, its because you did something stupid, and they know you're playing stupid, so theyre giving you a rope to hang yourself with.

Don't do stupid shit, and people wont sit around waiting for you to do it. When people play new players, we realize that you guys think the game is all about combos and doing moves as quickly as possible (you guys dont seem to realize, we just need to hold back, more often than not, we dont need to anticipate you doing anything specific). We also realize that you dont have a sound strategy, so you're going to do full screen special moves, and you'll in general - be very random. You cant out think a person who doesnt think, right? So just let them kill themselves. This game gives the player who is losing access to the most damaging moves in the game (ultras), why on earth would a good player want to pressure you when we all know you are just mashing ultra 90% of the time?
    Xbox live, GFWL and GGPO:Necrotrophic
    Akuma(SF4), Chun Li(SF4,ST,3s), Ryu(SF4,ST,3S), Yang (3S, SF4), Cammy (SF4)
    youtube.com/necrotrophic
  • CapoeiraMataUmCapoeiraMataUm Forca Rara Joined: Posts: 88Registered
    Some people take months to get good with a stick. There's no reason to get one if you're happy with your keyboard

Read, read, read. Just look up "footsies guide" and you'll find tons of good stuff (check out sonic hurricane). Read the game manual, read character guides, and anything else you can find (from a reputable source)

Watch high level matches. How does Dudley get in? How does keep people out? Learn your tools and learn what is used and when.

Offense
    What moves are most used to get in? Remember the moves and how they're used. For someone chucking a lot of fireballs you can use duck, but against someone just throwing a lot of lows you can't

Learn what attacks let you keep pressuring once you're in. Things like your overhead, your strong frame advantage buttons, and how to follow up with them if they land. You should practice your combos until you have to try and miss them to mess up. Landing a hit and consistently following up with a combo will make you feel good even if it rarely happens

Defense
    Here are your anti-air's and longer range pokes. Look at what people press when someone is almost on top of them. Go into training room and practice and try to work against them. Record the computer jumping or trying to get in and then develop reactions for that. You need to practice until it's hard to not press the right button at the right time

Then you have your GTFO moves. Here are uppercuts and shit like that. The most important part about these... remember to not mash them. Every time you want to throw one first ask yourself if it's going to land, where the two of you will end up afterwards, and if you have to can you make it safe (FADC)?

General stuff
    If someone is 'spamming' something that's perfect. You know exactly what they're gonna do. Find a way to beat it and spam that every time they start

Give yourself goals. Before every match decide on what you're going to work on and stick to that. Sure, you might ignore other parts of your game but that's okay while you're internalizing something. You'll learn how to meld things later on as you practice

One of the biggest problem people seem to have is with defense. Everything starts to go too fast for you to react, you can't think, you can't predict what's next, etc. Work on that. Just start playing a really defensive game and focus on just blocking and punishing them when they do something stupid. If you're having trouble against a specific character or move practice against it in the training mode

Just try and break everything down to its core components and take one step at a time. I hope this helps
  • John SupaJohn Supa Joined: Posts: 2Registered
    Hey man,

I'm not a pro, I'm still pretty new to the game. I also understand 100% what your going through. I think you need to change your mind set though or this game won't be fun for you. Firstly, there is no such thing as a cheap way to play. I play Ryu and start most matches by back dashing and seeing how my opponent reacts to a fireball. If they just sit there and eat it, I'm gonna keep doing it because a) I don't need to put myself in a dangerous situation and b) I get free meter. Secondly, losing is the only way to get better, calm down, take the L, watch the replay and try to see what you did wrong. Thirdly, spend more time in training mode, I do like an hour+ a day before even trying to go online.
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 365Registered
    If all else fails, ex-thunderbolt

I would like to petition a ban for this advice.
    I would like to petition a ban for this advice.
    Seriously? I thought that it was okay to make a joke after writing all that I did. I guess I'll edit that
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 365Registered
    Seriously? I thought that it was okay to make a joke after writing all that I did. I guess I'll edit that
    As you can see from my very stern sheep hat that I am wearing in my avatar, I don't joke about anything good sir.
    As you can see from my very stern sheep hat that I am wearing in my avatar, I don't joke about anything good sir.
    Oh, okay :P. I've seen people actually complain about that kind of stuff. You find all kinds of weirdos online x_X X_x
    Yeah, weird stuff like some guy thinking combos are glitches that shouldn't be used? Right, brah?
    Yeah, weird stuff like some guy thinking combos are glitches that shouldn't be used? Right, brah?
    You didn't actually read what I said then.

Zadawan: Have you playing on some streams? A lot of time people are helpful and will give you tips. It'll also help with the nerves issue
  • ProximaProxima Joined: Posts: 8Registered
    new players dont have a playstyle

I would disagree :p
    Being a new player, I would say my style is fairly different from the other newbs I play against. Now, whether or not the style is effective or even competitive is another topic entirely. But there are definitely newb-ish play styles and characters that benefit those play styles (to some very negligible degree, especially at higher-levels of play).
    For instance: aggressive button masher, the wait, use one-skill against an approach and then wait again, never block, always block, etc. The style usually isn't deep but that's because the mechanics of the game are, and without appropriate knowledge the style will usually just have one layer of intricacy instead of the incredible complexity of some of the higher-level players I've watched.

But I would agree with your implications, a player probably shouldn't choose a character based on their "style" of play, but based on whether or not they like the character since you have to spend an incredible time playing that character and your style will evolve and develop to fit your character, not the other way around.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 9,879Registered
    But I would agree with your implications, a player probably shouldn't choose a character based on their "style" of play, but based on whether or not they like the character since you have to spend an incredible time playing that character and your style will evolve and develop to fit your character, not the other way around.

ya thats exactly what I meant!

just like a novice guitar player wont suddenly find great success when they stumble on their style of music, there wont be some moment of great skill increase when you find the character that suits your playstyle. playstyles are developed and learned, not god-given.
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • CrystalCoreCrystalCore Joined: Posts: 144Registered
    I'm completely fine when someone's better than me,what i don't like is the fact that everybody seems to use cheap tactics as i have described in my first post..

*genocide cutters Zadawn... wait wrong series*
  • NickRocksNickRocks Almost Godlike Joined: Posts: 9,988Registered, Premium
    Not a single win,i always try to be mobile,combo around,do more moves than just stay crouched and throw a kick or a punch.

It seems liek everybody's so cheap,not trying to do anything besides staying crouched and waiting for you.

I'm getting an arcade stick tomorrow,if i don't see an improvement i give up.

Sorry but i had to vent.
    I lost over a thousand times before I won once.

Now look at me, im gdlk :nunchuck:
    gun: bang bang bang bang
    throw the arrow up forward
    HYPER VIPER BEAM
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX GOOMBA STOMP!!!! Joined: Posts: 1,381Registered
    I'm probably pissed because i expect that a 0 PP player should be at my skill level but i barely manage to win a round.
    I haven't been on SRK for awhile, so a lot of advice I could say has already been said. So all I have left is this handy tip.
    Get it in your head, right now as a matter of fact, that points and ranks mean jack shit on fighting games. This is mainly because any rank can be boosted, rendering the points inaccurate as hell. For instance, there is a phenomenon on any fighting game with a lobby feature that I like to refer to as "Zero point heroes".
    These so called motherfuckers don't play ranked. They don't know what BP or PP means. But what they do know, is how to lab rat as hard as desk himself. And they spend their time only doing lobby matches with friends and strangers, making themselves better players without the title to prove it. When you meet one, if the thought "Oh, they're less experienced than i am." crosses your mind even once then you already lost the upcoming game. Because your guard will be down at first thinking you should show this poor noob some mercy. WRONG!! 50% combo right off the bat leaving your brain full of fuck and your self confidence in pieces.
    Case in point. IF points actually meant something to show your prowess in that game, why is Justin Wong's rank on marvel below 9th lord?

TL;DR Points mean nothing. Stop paying attention to them.

Also. I played 70 straight matches with no wins when I first started. Using Juri as my first ever street fighter character. Thinking back that was probably a really rough path to choose initially. Your first character choice could easily not be your smartest one. Though it could just as easily be the most enjoyable to you. Weird contradiction but it makes sense when you get there.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Doom/Wesker::::TTT2: Lili, Kunimitsu
    Thanks to Savaii64 for DAT AV!!
  • ZadawnZadawn Joined: Posts: 9Registered
    Thank you guys for the additional input here,i appreciate it and try to put it at good use.
  • The 5th HorsemanThe 5th Horseman Rushdown Artist Joined: Posts: 408Registered
    Do you play on PC ? Id be willing to run a session with you and help out however I can. Aside from that, here:

Most important things to learn regarding street fighter:

Block:

Everyone loves hitting buttons and just going nuts, but if youre playing to win, this is probably the most important thing to learn. If you cant block well, the first time you get knocked down, you might as well just go make a sandwich and wait for round 2, especially vs mixup characters like viper, seth, fuerte, etc.

Develop a strong ground game:

Street fighter is a game where *typically* jumping is bad. As dudley, you have no reason to ever jump, except to neutral jump a projectile, or to safejump the opponents wakeup. Dudley has good footsie tools. Learn what they are, and how to use them. It will take time, but it will develop your neutral game, and thats incredibly important.

Learn to anti air:

Dudley has some pretty great AA's, particularly st.mk and depending on the matchup, cr.hk. Learn how to AA properly. Just as the opponent shouldnt allow you to jump in for free, you should deny them their jump in options as well. This kinda goes along with blocking to form "Defense" as a whole.

Dont go overboard learning combos. Yeah, theye great to do, and feel good when you land a sick combo, but fundementals will always prevail. If you cant land a 1 frame link combo, dont go for it until you can do it consistently. Do a simpler BnB. It may do less damage, but it will be consistent, reliable damage. Going along with this, is knowing when to use which combo. Your best punish combo may not always be optimal if it ends up leaving you in less than favorable positioning. Theres a trade off to be had. Personally, most of the time I will go for a slightly less damaging version of whatever combo if it gives me a good setup UNLESS I know the combo will stun, or end the round... or its a corner combo. no reason to not do optimal corner combos.

DONT GET DISCOURAGED:

Yes. You are going to get your ass kicked. Over, and over and over. It will happen. Deal with it. Learn from it. No one can just jump into the game and be godlike unless you have a really strong fundemental knowledge of the game, or you train with world class talent on a regular basis and have them to learn from. Regardless if you lose, ultimately, who cares ? Unless its a tournament setting, or its for bragging rights, it doesnt really matter at all. Yeah, you lose points. Big deal. The thing that sets aside those who excel and those who dont, is the fact that even though they are losing in one aspect, they are gaining knowledge and experience from every loss. If you won every match, what would you ever learn ? People learn through losing / failing. Its just how things work.

Remember:

Its online......there are a million and one random online warriors who play AE. Take it with a (no pun intended -_-) grain of salt.
    " Drunk or not, I always play for my stream monsters. " Drunk FChamp
    " There are no pacts between lions and men. " - Achilles
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 3,969Registered
    I respectfully disagree that there are no such thing as cheap tactics. However, I disagree that cheap tactics should be frowned upon. Anything that can give a good reward for minimal effort can be considered "cheap", just like in the economic sense of the term. Also, just like it's considered foolish to purchase an inferior product for a higher a price, it's also silly to avoid "cheap" strats in favour of ones that aren't as strong or require more effort (unless you've got a good reason). Therefore, you should not avoid cheap tactics or hate people who use them.

It's also worth noting that some things that are considered cheap on lower levels of play aren't really cheap at all. A good tactic in any fighting game is to find the cheapest tactic with a character you like and spam it against different characters and opponents. More often than not, you'll find that it will get defeated pretty soon and you'll either have to refine it and repeat, or find another cheap strat. By the time you've found something that can be reasonably considered cheap, you'll realize that there's no way you could have pulled it off when you started playing because you just didn't have the execution to pull it off consistently and/or you didn't have enough knowledge or understanding about the game to know when and how to use it.

Cheap is good. I personally encourage people to try to be as cheap as possible. It forces their opponents to develop reliable counter tactics, which causes the metagame to evolve more quickly.
    With that definition of cheap I'd agree with you, ilitirit. The thing is, most people say cheap when they're referring to a tactic they cannot beat. This may be "cheap" in the economic sense as well as "cheap" to them because they can't beat it. Some people think that sitting back throwing fireballs and SRKing when someone jumps is cheap. It's just effective game play.

Cheap is hard to really define as what is or isn't cheap changing depending on who you talk to. Usually it's used by people who are scrubby to masquerade their inability to adapt and overcome a tactic.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX GOOMBA STOMP!!!! Joined: Posts: 1,381Registered
    I've always thought of cheap as something that gives a character a significant advantage over another character. For instance, dhalsims all around zoning game may be considered cheap when zangief is involved. But if it were Sagat instead of zangief in the match up, dhalsim might not be considered cheap at all since Sagat can be pretty good at zoning in his own regards. Though if it is a bad or new Sagat player it could still be considered cheap. I may edit this later. I'm actually still not 100% sure how I define it :/
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Doom/Wesker::::TTT2: Lili, Kunimitsu
    Thanks to Savaii64 for DAT AV!!
    That's exactly my point. Your definition is different than mine. Who is right and who is wrong? That's why words like cheap, honor, etc are all part of being a scrub. There is no solid definition of any of these words and people's definition can change!! (you mentioned that yours might as well)

I would not consider dhalsim vs sagat as cheap. It's one character with a set of abilities vs another character with a different set of abilities. I don't consider anything as cheap though.
  • The 5th HorsemanThe 5th Horseman Rushdown Artist Joined: Posts: 408Registered
    Kazuya infinite? Unblockables in AE ? It's just a manipulation of the engine, but that doesn't mean I should eat a full combo just because it's something the designers oversaw. Unblockables in marvel ? Especially in a game where one touch = death?

I believe there are things that are "cheap", but they are very few.
    " Drunk or not, I always play for my stream monsters. " Drunk FChamp
    " There are no pacts between lions and men. " - Achilles
    Proving the point further. Moves that you do not agree with, combos, specials, supers, etc. Cheap changes from one person to another. It's a load. If it's in the game and not banned at tournaments, it's fine. Use it, abuse it, win.
  • doubleohdoubleoh Joined: Posts: 256Registered
    That's exactly my point. Your definition is different than mine. Who is right and who is wrong? That's why words like cheap, honor, etc are all part of being a scrub. There is no solid definition of any of these words and people's definition can change!! (you mentioned that yours might as well)

I would not consider dhalsim vs sagat as cheap. It's one character with a set of abilities vs another character with a different set of abilities. I don't consider anything as cheap though.
    You're mixing up subjectivity and objectivity. Your definition of cheap doesn't really matter. What matters is the general accepted definition.

Oxford definitions:

honor:
    noun
    • [mass noun] high respect; great esteem: his portrait hangs in the place of honour
    • [in singular] a person or thing that brings esteem: you are an honour to our profession
    • (His, Your, etc. Honour) a title of respect or form of address given to a circuit judge, a US mayor, and (in Irish or rustic speech) any person of rank.
    • the quality of knowing and doing what is morally right: I must as a matter of honour avoid any taint of dishonesty
    • dated a woman’s chastity or her reputation for being chaste:she died defending her honour
    • something regarded as a rare opportunity and bringing pride and pleasure; a privilege: Mrs Young had the honour of being received by the Queen
    • a thing conferred as a distinction, especially an official award for bravery or achievement: he highest military honours
    • (honours) a special distinction for proficiency in an examination: she passed with honours
    • (honours) a course of degree studies more specialized than for an ordinary pass: [as modifier]:an honours degree in mathematics
    • Golf the right of driving off first, having won the previous hole: Kyle had the honour at the last hole
    • Bridge an ace, king, queen, jack, or ten.
    • (honours) possession in one’s hand of at least four of the ace, king, queen, jack, and ten of trumps, or of all four aces in no trumps, for which a bonus is scored.
    • (in whist) an ace, king, queen, or jack of trumps.
    cheap:
    adjective
    • (of an item for sale) low in price; worth more than its cost: they bought some cheap fruitlocal buses were reliable and cheap
    • charging low prices: a cheap restaurant
    • inexpensive because of inferior quality: cheap, shoddy goods
    • informal miserly; stingy: she’s too cheap to send me a postcard
    • of little worth because achieved in a discreditable way requiring little effort: her moment of cheap triumph
    • deserving of contempt: a cheap trick!
    I underlined the definitions that work in context with Street Fighter when people use aforementioned words.
    SSFIVAE: Abel
  • huckles98huckles98 Joined: Posts: 666Registered
    Man I'm sorry to keep pumping this in every thread on the dojo but try different characters and get a feel for the game. If this is your first fighting game and you're just playing match after match with one character then your head's in a box. Play different characters, get familiar with what they do and how they try to do it. As a new player there are so many boundaries you gotta get over; execution, mind games, not mashing. The list goes on and on. Try to gain a little perspective by moving around different characters. Eventually you will single out the one or two to get down and dirty with but to get you started you gotta get your head outta that box.
    If you want to invalidate a person's win over you because they used a tactic that takes little effort to perform and you failed to beat it, that's on you. Whether you want to call it cheap, without honor... it doesn't matter. You're lowering yourself and your chances of victory by even humoring that type of mindset. This thread is turning into scrub quotes #2. I use whatever is in the game to win. At the end of the day you can call me cheap or without honor but I'm the person who won the match. Peace.
  • doubleohdoubleoh Joined: Posts: 256Registered
    If you want to invalidate a person's win over you because they used a tactic that takes little effort to perform and you failed to beat it, that's on you. Whether you want to call it cheap, without honor... it doesn't matter. You're lowering yourself and your chances of victory by even humoring that type of mindset. This thread is turning into scrub quotes #2. I use whatever is in the game to win. At the end of the day you can call me cheap or without honor but I'm the person who won the match. Peace.
    If you're referring to my post: what is this red herring you've created? FYI, I don't think anything in fighting games is cheap and I think everything is honorable. A lack of honor is ragequitting or kicking someone as soon as you beat them after they kick your ass a few times or something similar.

You know what's funny? When someone challenges your invalid views, you attempt to marginalize his opinion by saying "this is turning into scrub quotes #2". Completely arbitrary and hilariously moronic. Try harder, mang. And one more thing - I don't give two shits about who wins. You do whatever you can to win? Great. I do the same. But... I couldn't care less. Those are just your justifications and they are of no consequence to me. You're never gonna win when it counts -- at a major or something -- so stop trying to put it on a pedestal when in reality you're mediocre at best.
    SSFIVAE: Abel
This discussion has been closed.