You can ask anything you want in this thread, I'll answer your questions as quickly and efficiently as possible. But before asking, make sure your question has not already been answered down here. I'll update this thread with more Q&As as they come up.
Who am I supposed to contact to sticky this?
Question index (Post 1)
1. Where can I find Balrog's Colors & Alternate Costumes?
2. How do people perform multiple charge attacks in succession?
3. What are Balrog's main BnBs for beginners?
4. I can't do combos, specials never come out?!
5. How do I beat fireball & dragon punch spammers? It's annoying, I cannot approach them!
6. How do I Dash Ultra 1?
7. I'm getting blown up by Focus Attack spammers, how do I beat that?!
8. Knockdown, crossup, knockdown, crossup. AND NOW I BROKE MY TV AND CONTROLLER!
9. I've knocked down my opponent, now what?
10. What should I do when my opponent is cornered?
11. Explain me why Ultra 2 is considered bad?
12. Who are the top Balrog players to look for?
Question index (Post 2)
13. Does CH cr.LP combo into cr.HK? (Counter Hit Explanation)
14. Does X combo into Y? (Frame Data reference)
Q: How do people perform multiple charge attacks in succession?
A: The best trick is to do what is called 'Charge Buffering'. When performing a charge attack, do back-forward-BACK instead of back-forward.
Here's a nice video explanation:
Q: What are Balrog's main BnBs for beginners?
- cr.Lp > cr.LP (link) cr.LK > Headbutt / Dash Punch
- cr.LP > cr.LP (link) st.LP > st.HK / cr.HK (Works only against standing opponents - st.LP > st.HK / cr.HK are one frame links.)
- Overhead > cr.LK/MP > Headbutt / Dash Punch
- cr.MP > Headbutt / Dash Punch
- cl.HK > cr.LP/LK/st.LP > Dash Punch
- cr.MK > cr.LP/LK > Headbutt
Q: I can't do combos, specials never come out?!
A: It is a big misconception for new players to think that combos are buttons you should press as fast as possible in rapid succession. Unfortunately for you, it is not the case. You have to LINK cr.LP to cr.LK, as specials don't come out of normal cancels. Just try to slow down your transition from cr.LP to cr.LK, it has a loose rhythm that becomes natural very quickly.
Q: How do I beat fireball & dragon punch spammers? It's annoying, I cannot approach them!
A: You need to be patient. You have to react accordingly to the distance they are relative to you. Get a feel of which fireball you can punish with certain moves within certain distances on training mode. Record your dummy doing Fireball > hold block 3 seconds and try to go through them.
Recommended moves are Headbutt, TAP, nj.empty/F-HP, fj.HP/HK, walk forward > block, Dash Ultra*
*Q: How do I Dash Ultra 1?
A: The input itself isn't that hard; downback > forward(x2) > back > forward > PPP. What's hard is to consistently pull it off at the right distance and right time. Practice it!
Q: I'm getting blown up by Focus Attack spammers, how do I beat that?!
A: You're being too predictable, stop your fullscreen dash straights. Here are several things you can do to convince them into not focusing anymore!
Far away - Dash OverHead, TAP & Dash Low Smash: Use these when your opponent likes to Lvl3 Focus. But beware, these moves are easily baited and should be used sparringly.
Mid range - st.LP > st.HK/cr.HK, Nj.F-HP > cr.HK - This string surprisingly blows up many people. Because the jab is so quick, people tend to believe they have the time to hit you with their focus and eat a Heavy Kick.
Close up - Walk up > Throw, cr.LP x2, Nj.F-HP > anything - These are useful depending on what situation you are in. Throws are best used as the FA is about to hit and the multiple cr.LP are best used during the early stages of a FA.
Q: Knockdown, crossup, knockdown, crossup. AND NOW I BROKE MY TV AND CONTROLLER!
A: Be patient, watch carefully and reverse your block when you see them coming. Otherwise, dash under if the crossup isn't on knockdown.
Q: I've knocked down my opponent, now what?
A: This will be included in the guide I'm working on, but here are your options:
- Safe Jump :
(I'll find the Balrog-specific one later.)
- Meaty normal:
- Grab / Tick-throw (normal attack > throw)
- Nothing (Reversal baits)
**Kudos to 3nigmat1c for his awesome videos! I will explain Balrog's Okizeme more extensively in the future.
Q: What should I do when my opponent is cornered?
A: As weird as it sounds, I'd recommend hold backdown at sweep range or a little further and react to their moves.
Punish forward jumps with st.MP/cr.HP.
Punish back jumps with HP Headbutt.
Otherwise, apply dat OKIZEME*! (*See question up there)
Q: Explain me why Ultra 2 is considered bad?
A: I'm working on a complete Balrog tutorial that will cover this. But for now, I'll just say that it has no range and is jump-able after the flash. Plus Ultra 1 is extremely versatile.
Q: Who are the top Balrog players to look for?
A: I believe that the actual best is PR Balrog, as many people dropped AE/Balrog altogether.
Anyway, check out PR Balrog, JS Master (SSFIV), Ice0Age r / -R- (his recent matches are terrible though), White (Vanilla), Onigiri-Kai, Maeda Taison (Vanilla & AE) and Pamyu (Vanilla and 2012.)