New ads are the worst.

throwing is cheapthrowing is cheap master of teleport + assistJoined: Posts: 1,805Registered
They've memory heavy flash videos, with sound. And they aren't muted at the start. And they unmute themselves at the beginning.

I've gotten this cat one just unmuting itself in the background like 30 times. Was really weird when I wasn't even in the room and I started hearing like, a cat driving a car or some shit.

Seems to be tied to the NewYorkerToons thing.

Comments

• JrKJrK TiNk3R Joined: Posts: 44Registered
    Highly annoying when I open every thread I want to see into a new tab.
  • cheese and chipscheese and chips Metal Blade> everything Joined: Posts: 190Registered
    I swear if I hear that same myspace ad one more time...............
    Gamertag: Shadow man mm3 UMVC3: Frank/hawkeye/Doom

king cobra and zubaz for v 2013
  • chuuchuu Fan of the female form Joined: Posts: 3,455Registered
    where are you guys seeing these ads? i never see ads, closest thing i see is the "news" feed at the moment...
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 29,224Registered
    I have some type of adblocker but I still get these random smaller ads. I can turn the volume really low on them so it's not as big of a deal. I'll probably just look for ad block plus and see how that goes.
    Skullgirls (I PLAY ONLINE): Team 2 Girls and a Goop girl = Painwheel (c.MP Cruel Lily) OR Valentine (Vial Hazard: Type A) / Kassandrasoul (NapalmPillar) / Double (MK Hornet Bomber)
    UMVC3 (I DONT PLAY THIS ONLINE): MAIN Team KBeast/Viper May Squeeze = C.MILF (Falcon Kick) / Erik Magnus Lehnsherr (EM Estaka) / Dane (HAM Session) Team Viper May Missiles = C.MILF (Falcon Kick) / Mr.Dr.Doom (Undercover Missiles) / Dane (HAM Session)
    Side Team = Team 3 Assists = Man of Iron (Spirit Blast) / Mr.Dr.Doom (Undercover Missiles) / Akuma (Kotatsu)
  • chuuchuu Fan of the female form Joined: Posts: 3,455Registered
    i just use firefox, i haven't actively installed any popup blocker that i know of. I also use zone alarm though.
  • NickRocksNickRocks Almost Godlike Joined: Posts: 9,988Registered, Premium
    yo this shit is mad annoying, pls fix bruvs
    gun: bang bang bang bang
    throw the arrow up forward
    HYPER VIPER BEAM
  • Fatal Error XIFatal Error XI Waiting for shoryuken.com.... Joined: Posts: 596Registered
    Yeah, I'm having the same problem with ads unmuting themselves. It does start to get annoying.
    -Av by Master Chibi
    "Across this Sea of Space, the Stars are other Suns. We've traveled this way before, and there is much to be learned." -Carl Sagan
  • ErenEren Simple Rating Joined: Posts: 12,646Registered, Moderators, Premium
    man these ads suck ass.
    av by savaii64
  • Noble CactusNoble Cactus In name only. Joined: Posts: 8,341Registered
    Oh, so THAT'S what I've been hearing all day. I'm getting these quiet ads involving silly Internet cat videos or whatever and I don't know where they're coming from. Thought I caught a virus or something but I hadn't done anything that might cause me to get one. Scan turned up nothing.

Yeah, they're incredibly annoying.
    "No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell."
    - Jung
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 5,722Registered
    can we get rid of these fuckin ads?
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • DaBurgaDaBurga Joined: Posts: 164Registered
    There is a new Underworld Evolution ad that shows up beneath the inbox and alert links and when you hover over them for the drop down menu, the Underworld ad stays on top of them and you can't navigate the drop down menu at all. With other ads the drop down menus go over them.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX GOOMBA STOMP!!!! Joined: Posts: 1,381Registered
    The new one for doctor pepper occasionally does the same thing as the underworld ad. Probably happens about half as many times, but it still happens.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Doom/Wesker::::TTT2: Lili, Kunimitsu
    Thanks to Savaii64 for DAT AV!!
  • throwing is cheapthrowing is cheap master of teleport + assist Joined: Posts: 1,805Registered
    wizard logic

ban people for telling them how to block these intrusive ads that make me not want to use this website at all

not fix said ads
  • Smoothjazz101Smoothjazz101 Joined: Posts: 741Registered
    There is a new Underworld Evolution ad that shows up beneath the inbox and alert links and when you hover over them for the drop down menu, the Underworld ad stays on top of them and you can't navigate the drop down menu at all. With other ads the drop down menus go over them.
    I get different ads, but the same sort of thing happens to me and it makes using my user panel a pain.
  • CryohCryoh Rock Shock Thunderous Beat Joined: Posts: 7,772Registered
    I'm all about not fucking with the man's money, but shit. These ads are intrusive and annoying as hell. I loaded up SRK on IE for shits and giggles, and proceeded to close it out in horror. The Complex toolbar doesn't have shit on these auto-play ads.
    angelpalm: Niggas so soft, Goku calls them up when he needs a ride somewhere.
  • throwing is cheapthrowing is cheap master of teleport + assist Joined: Posts: 1,805Registered
    ^exactly

I'm trying to work with you here, I use bandwidth and I'd like to make sure you're compensated..

But is adsense not good enough or something? This shit is myspace-tier.
  • MrWizardMrWizard Supreme Commander Joined: Posts: 22,056Registered, Administrative, Moderators, Premium, Editors
    We are looking into the ad that is blocking the functionality of using the inbox and alerts.
    Shoryuken.com
    Thanks WIz.
  • XenogenesisXenogenesis Why yes, I'm enjoying myself splendidly. Joined: Posts: 1,463Registered
    We are looking into the ad that is blocking the functionality of using the inbox and alerts.

the easiest and most future proof thing to do is just change the .Menu z-index property to 1000000 or higher

edit:
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/134189.user.js

Chrome or FF/Greasemonkey users, use that to make alerts and ish actually display above the ads (until the problem is fixed on SRK itself)
    that dr.pepper one is really annoying.
    av by savaii64
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Ruining lives... Joined: Posts: 11,508Registered
    Not as annoying as the Modelo one................
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • XenogenesisXenogenesis Why yes, I'm enjoying myself splendidly. Joined: Posts: 1,463Registered
    the easiest and most future proof thing to do is just change the .Menu z-index property to 1000000 or higher

edit:
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/134189.user.js

Chrome or FF/Greasemonkey users, use that to make alerts and ish actually display above the ads (until the problem is fixed on SRK itself)
    also fix #searchBar's z-index if you'll be fixing the issue via CSS
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive likes Saturn pads. Joined: Posts: 1,614Registered
    IT'S PRETTY! IT'S FUN TO DRIVE!
    PRETTY AWWWWESOOOOME!
    "This is a perfectly balanced VS." - PTX-40A, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,213Registered
    I try hard not to use adblock on sites I like. This site is practically unusable without it.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - Why the hell haven't you read this yet?

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
    Does that allstate one have to repeat everytime I refresh the page?
    av by savaii64
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 11,973Registered, Moderators
    Any update on this, I've tried to ignore it. But after more than a month of ads playing every time I click a different page on srk. I have literally just cut down visiting, I dont want to have to install a AD blocker and I understand they are trying to get paid but a AD that plays with sound at the refresh of every page is killing any enjoyment I have on the site.
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
  • Huggy BearHuggy Bear Scoops Häagen-Dazs® Joined: Posts: 1,265Registered
    I try to leave ABP off on websites like SRK where they get money. But turning it off makes the site a frustrating mess. I just have to keep it on.
    I know some Anime that knows some Anime that robbed some Anime.
  • KarnovKarnovKarnovKarnov Joined: Posts: 203Registered
    The current ads that play in the top right of every page of the forums are incredibly annoying for a bunch of reasons:
    - they always play audio and unmute themselves on page load/refresh
    - they cannot be paused; they are guaranteed to consume your bandwidth and processing power

These two reasons alone kind of kill the tabbed browsing experience of SRK, as you get this cascading echo of ad audio and performance hit if you want to open a bunch of tabs for a bunch of different threads.

I want to support SRK and not run an adblocker, but these are so annoying that I think I'm going to have to considering how much of SRK I browse.
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 3,502Registered
    Never saw this thread, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

The ways ads are run on this site is probably the worst way to go about doing it in every facet:
    • They block functionality
    • They push content down on the main page
    • They unmute themselves
    • They're memory intensive
    I know all about trying to cover costs or even make a bit of a profit from a website, but there are better, less intrusive solutions for your ads. People are less likely to consider ad block software if you take these things into account.
  • KarnovKarnovKarnovKarnov Joined: Posts: 203Registered
    I also forgot to mention how ineffective the top-right ads are when opening threads: since the view gets moved to the latest post (which may be far from the top of the page), it's quite often the case that the ad is scrolled completely out of the user's view on page load.

So the only reason why anybody actually sees the ad is either they chance on a post that is the top of the page, or they scrolled up to kill the annoying sound.