Rose AE Match-Up Thread
Since AE is about to come out, and every character has been changed in some aspect, I thought it was necessary to make an AE match-up thread, to consolidate all the match-up information in this iteration of SF4. If you're looking for Super match-up information, you can check those out here:
(Starting from the bottom-half of p.17)
There are 39 characters in the game now, which means there are more match-ups for us to learn.
vs. Balrog (Boxer):
Match-up (in numbers): 5-5 (Although many can argue it's in Balrog's favor)
vs. El Fuerte:
vs. E. Honda:
vs. Evil Ryu:
What should be my general strategy against Balrog (Boxer)?
As Rose, this match-up can be difficult because of Balrog's jab. He can use it to pressure you, punish unsafe strings on block, and use it as an easy hit-confirm into headbutt. In this match-up, you want to try baiting out a lot of unsafe moves as possible, and using safe pressure.
+ Jab basically gives him free pressure.
+ Dash Punches can be problematic on wake-up.
- Doesn't really have any.
To take notice:
+ cr.MP is a great bait for headbutts, so use it to end strings.
+ Rose can punish his Dash Swing overhead, or his Dash Low Straight (both are -5 on block, so cr.MP xx Spiral will work).
+ Frame traps are really useful to punish Balrog when he gets too happy with jabs.
- His jab can easily create troubling pressure (i.e. jab -> tick throw)
- Any poorly spaced Spiral can easily be punished by his jab into a knockdown combo.
- Cannot do c.MP xx Spiral freely, as Balrog can just headbutt in-between into Ultra for additional damage.
- Every time Rose does a string, Balrog will have his charge, allowing him to punish even Spark strings.
+ cr.MK is great for making his headbutt whiff.
+ Slide is great for punishing both versions of Dash Punch (Regular and EX)
+ EX ST is great for punishing his j.RH, which can be tricky to AA with cr.HP at times.
- Cannot use projectiles from mid-screen as they are easily punishable by a Dash Punch.
- Balrog's j.RH can be tricky to AA with cr. HP at times.
+ Spark can be a good pestering tool from full screen, especially if he does not have meter.
+ You can easily punish wake-up headbutt with cr.HP xx Spiral (Doing c.MK is a great bait for headbutts, as it makes them whiff - listed a bit earlier).
+ You can do cross-ups to make him lose his charge, and thus limit his options.
- Balrog can easily time a jab on your wake-up such that you're baited into doing EX Spiral.
- He can mix you up with his Dash Swing overhead or his Dash Low Straight, forcing you to guess high or low.
Which Ultra is best for this match-up?
U1 is highly considered to be the better Ultra in this match-up, as it severely limits his options (especially full-screen), and is a great punisher for some of his moves as well.
+ Can easily be used to punish attempted jump-ins, whiffed/blocked headbutts, or mid/full-screen Dash Punches.
- If blocked or whiffed, you are vulnerable to big damage.
+ Makes Balrog respect your space, and cannot go freely in to pressure (i.e. being more hesitant to throw out jabs)
- Cannot be used when you are being pressured, and it can be punished if you attempt to use it after a blocked Spiral string.
Match-up (in numbers): 6-4 Rose
What should be my general strategy against Guile?
Rose is one of the characters that beats Guile hands down because of solely one tool that she has; her reflect. Very similar to the Ryu match-up, Rose beats Guile both full-screen and close-range. From full screen, Rose can keep doing Soul Reflect (LP) to build meter quickly. At close-range, Rose can use normals such as c.MP to stuff a good amount of Guile's normals, and limit his already limited offensive options.
+ Can turtle very well, making it tough if you don't have the life lead.
- Unlike other characters, Guile can't lock down Rose with projectiles.
- Cannot deal with cross-ups.
To take notice:
+ You can punish in-between his 2 hits of c.HK.
+ c.MP is a great bait for his Flash Kicks.
- Cannot do c.MP xx Spiral strings too much, since he can Flash Kick in-between (c.MP xx LP Spark may be a better alternative)
+ When spaced well enough, Guile cannot punish blocked Spirals with Flash Kicks.
+ c.HP solidly beats all his jumping attacks, making it a very reliable anti-air.
+ If timed right, slide can go underneath his projectiles.
- Since his Sonic Boom has very small recovery, it's hard to hit him with a jumping attack.
- Have to be careful playing a mid-screen fireball game, due to the poor recovery of her Soul Spark.
- Cannot jump at him freely, since he has multiple options (Flash Kick or c.HP anti-air, or jump -> air throw)
+ Soul Reflect (LP) is incredibly useful in building meter quickly when playing a full-screen fireball game (especially given the nature of Guile players to throw a lot of Sonic Booms)
+ With each projectile collision, you are building meter at a significantly quicker rate than he is.
+ Due to the reduced meter build on his Sonic Boom and slower start-up on some of his normals/moves, Guile has a harder time.
+ Guile has a very hard time dealing with cross-ups, as Flash Kicks do not auto-correct.
+ Flash Kicks are very unsafe on block (> -30), so it's very easy to punish with a damaging combo.
+ He has limited offensive options, so he can't pressure you very well compared to other characters.
- On your wake-up, he can create decent mix-ups with his overhead.
In this match-up, there is no clear cut winner as to which Ultra is the better Ultra. Personally for me, I like to use U2 as it's a good pressuring tool on his wake-up, but U1 has some uses as well (especially for punishing blocked Flash Kicks).
+ Limits his mobility options from mid-screen.
+ Great punisher for whiffed or blocked Flash Kicks.
- Can be hard to punish his Sonic Booms with it, due to its incredibly fast recovery.
- If blocked or whiffed, it gives him the opportunity to close-in and deal damage.
+ Can be a great pressuring tool on his wake-up, especially when using cross-up ST as it's active.
+ Forces him to respect your space, and cannot press buttons freely.
- If used from full-screen, it's easier for Guile to get rid of the orbs by throwing projectiles.