MvC3: Magneto: Questions (and Answers) Thread

fethersfethers Nose to TailJoined: Posts: 21Registered
Got a question? Someone here probably has an answer (I know I don't).

So instead of posting and praying, use this thread to post your queries and some Master of Magnetism might help you out!
Dost thou compassionately aid the bird, or honor thy Liege and continue?

Fethers.

Comments

• DivemanDiveman Loli-zoning Joined: Posts: 2,633Registered
    good thread, Id also like to say that you can ask whatever you want about magneto, even partner related stuff. Lets try to keep ALL the questions in this thread (this should be a sticky btw)
  • fethersfethers Nose to Tail Joined: Posts: 21Registered
    Can start compiling common questions and adding them to the OP if anyone wants to start rattling them off. I'll add links to commonly cited tutorials and what not eventually, but feel free to suggest other things since there's lots of knowledge out there.

And yeah, I figure since the other main threads get a little bit crowded with (I've made this mistake) general questions, this can be a better thread for it, so we can leave the General and Combo threads with more specific discussion.

Fethers.
  • marquezsfmarquezsf Joined: Posts: 479Registered
    do u guys no of any way to get the air dash up back h air dash down forward loop ive been practicing this combo for a while but i just cant get it down any advice or techniques
    Stream http://www.twitch.tv/marquezsf/new
    XBL MGInfinate
    PSN MarquezSF
  • bloodabeastbloodabeast Ol Dirty Beast Joined: Posts: 2,552Registered
    do u guys no of any way to get the air dash up back h air dash down forward loop ive been practicing this combo for a while but i just cant get it down any advice or techniques

are you talking about this?:
    Marvel Versus Enthusiast
    UMVC3: Magneto and assist1, assist2
  • marquezsfmarquezsf Joined: Posts: 479Registered
    are you talking about this?:

yeah thats it
    Stream http://www.twitch.tv/marquezsf/new
    XBL MGInfinate
    PSN MarquezSF
    Marvel Versus Enthusiast
  • Systemofadown77Systemofadown77 Joined: Posts: 13Registered
    When in fly mode with mags how do you move across the screen quickly?
    Its just fly> dash> dash in different direction. Right?
    When in fly mode with mags how do you move across the screen quickly?
    Its just fly> dash> dash in different direction. Right?

Pretty much and then you get on the ground quickly with an Air S.
    Marvel Versus Enthusiast
  • Surfer87Surfer87 Joined: Posts: 38Registered
    Anybody have any helpful advice on getting the ghetto rom down ? Maybe some simpler variations that aren't so time or opponent-height strict.

Been watching the tutorial video & reading around here, still can't get it consistently. Someone said after launch, *slight pause* H, ADDF, *slight pause*, H, Land, repeat. Another note is once landed, SJ immediately with H. Ah the timing :/ I was watching a couple of the break weekly vids and notice sometimes people use L or M ? on the way up, then ADDF H on the way down. Does that help keep the opponent at the right height to continue it or somethin? And lastly : can anybody clarify if doing the first loop with H, ADD (down), H, then use Up-Back for the rest of the loops makes things easier? Thanks
    I'm still working on getting the reps down myself, but I can tell you that you'll want to plink (or just get out really fast) the ADDF and the H to get H out fast enough to get you opponent at the right height.

Fethers.
    Anybody have any helpful advice on getting the ghetto rom down ? Maybe some simpler variations that aren't so time or opponent-height strict.

Been watching the tutorial video & reading around here, still can't get it consistently. Someone said after launch, *slight pause* H, ADDF, *slight pause*, H, Land, repeat. Another note is once landed, SJ immediately with H. Ah the timing :/ I was watching a couple of the break weekly vids and notice sometimes people use L or M ? on the way up, then ADDF H on the way down. Does that help keep the opponent at the right height to continue it or somethin? And lastly : can anybody clarify if doing the first loop with H, ADD (down), H, then use Up-Back for the rest of the loops makes things easier? Thanks

http://shoryuken.com/f370/you-defeated-magneto-combo-thread-265808/index29.html#post10584116
    Marvel Versus Enthusiast
    Definitely refer to the combo thread for established advice and to read what not, but I think we should try fielding questions in here, especially since it seems like people are a little tired of answering the same combo-related questions in that thread.

Fethers.
  • PaperPaper Bowser Joined: Posts: 1,672Registered
    Can someone upload a video on how to do the ROM reset? I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

Basically you go for however many rom hits you want as long as their back isn't in the corner, then you ADDF and jump behind them hitting them with a J. H and continuing the ROM from the other side.

I'm also having a lot of trouble with Zero, if my tron assist doesn't hit him or I don't get a c.A on him I normally just lose. Here's a video

D͠e̕͜n̡j̢͝i͡ņ A̴r̶͢͡c̴a̛͢͡d͜͜e
  • OMG its a duckOMG its a duck ...?!!?!?! Joined: Posts: 1,336Registered
    Can someone upload a video on how to do the ROM reset? I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

Basically you go for however many rom hits you want as long as their back isn't in the corner, then you ADDF and jump behind them hitting them with a J. H and continuing the ROM from the other side.

So you do the ROM then super jump up forward and hit them with the back of the j.H then addb and hit them with the back of the j.H again? ...Sounds ballin'

...Aaand I can't get it to work. Someone turn on the Desk signal, this shit looks tricky.
  • JingJing Joined: Posts: 204Registered
    Hyper Grav Loop question - i cant seem to get hyper grav to connect. ill sj.UB and ADDF j.H, land, s.H but hyper grav whiffs. i cant seem to get the char high enough. what am i doing wrong?

i just figured out the answer to my question lol. i needed to input sj while in the animation of hyper grav. you'll know if you did it right if you just sj.UB and see the char get pulled up the screen.
  • PaperPaper Bowser Joined: Posts: 1,672Registered
    So you do the ROM then super jump up forward and hit them with the back of the j.H then addb and hit them with the back of the j.H again? ...Sounds ballin'

...Aaand I can't get it to work. Someone turn on the Desk signal, this shit looks tricky.

You addf pause on the ground and then turn around and hit them with another J.H when they recover in the air.

i'm hoping someone can make a video
    D͠e̕͜n̡j̢͝i͡ņ A̴r̶͢͡c̴a̛͢͡d͜͜e
  • nappydudenappydude Joined: Posts: 437Registered
    Who are Mags bad match ups? List plz? thanks
    Friend or foe!!!
  • DefilusDefilus Aspirant Joined: Posts: 70Registered
    I'm running a magnus/task/dorm team and am lacking a solid otg assist.

Dorm's otg is late and often misses, and neither task nor mags have a very solid otg. However, as task I can j.s into ground bounce into j.236H to get a semi-otg. My question in regards to this is whether I should use hypergrav, disruptor, or void hole to continue the combo. Or is this team hopeless for otg attacks?
    Defilus / The Zerginator (XBL) / C-Dubbs

UMvC3: Frank/Dante/Doom; SSF4AE: Oni/Juri; BBCS: Hakumen/Rachel
  • OMG its a duckOMG its a duck ...?!!?!?! Joined: Posts: 1,336Registered
    Who are Mags bad match ups? List plz? thanks

I can't really think of a character who's especially good at stopping Magneto's offense once he gets in.(except super armor characters but they can usually be disruptah'd to death) Good zoners can be frustrating so Taskmaster and a good Dormington are tricky. Other than that it's just other top tiers that give Maggie trouble because they're good too, so Wesker, Dante, Ammy or Phoenix are matchups you should know.
    I'm running a magnus/task/dorm team and am lacking a solid otg assist.

Dorm's otg is late and often misses, and neither task nor mags have a very solid otg. However, as task I can j.s into ground bounce into j.236H to get a semi-otg. My question in regards to this is whether I should use hypergrav, disruptor, or void hole to continue the combo. Or is this team hopeless for otg attacks?

Between ROM and fly unfly combos you should be able to do fine without an OTG, but doesn't Dorm's Purification pillar work for an OTG?
    I can't really think of a character who's especially good at stopping Magneto's offense once he gets in.(except super armor characters but they can usually be disruptah'd to death) Good zoners can be frustrating so Taskmaster and a good Dormington are tricky. Other than that it's just other top tiers that give Maggie trouble because they're good too, so Wesker, Dante, Ammy or Phoenix are matchups you should know.

Between ROM and fly unfly combos you should be able to do fine without an OTG, but doesn't Dorm's Purification pillar work for an OTG?

yep, but the animation is slow as fuck on startup so MASH OUT
    Marvel Versus Enthusiast
  • DontHateOnMe-DontHateOnMe- Joined: Posts: 21Registered
    ok i have a few questions about mag
    #1. when approaching with mag and doing the jump addf L is it best to do it with a normal jump or a super jump? should i super jump only if im going to hit him and normal jump only for approaching?
    #2. when i play against ryu or akuma, my opponent spams spin kick in the air and every time i try to do the triangle jump thing the spin kick beats me 10/10 times.. should i be playing completely different when i play against a ryu or akuma?
    #3. on your way down from a triangle jump, do u spam L or just double tap it to continue a combo?
    #4when doing a triangle jump --> grab, on my way down should i hold forward and spam H or should i just learn that timing?
    i suck with mag by the way.
  • DontHateOnMe-DontHateOnMe- Joined: Posts: 21Registered
    posted this in the question and answers thread...didnt get an answer.
    i have a few questions about mag
    #1. When approaching with mag and doing the jump addf L is it best to do it with a normal jump or a super jump? should i super jump only if im going to hit him and normal jump only for approaching?
    #2. When i play against ryu or akuma, my opponent spams spin kick in the air and every time i try to do the triangle jump the spin kick beats me 10/10 times.. should i be playing completely different when i play against a ryu or akuma?
    #3. On your way down from a triangle jump, do u spam L or just double tap it to continue a combo?
    #4. When doing a triangle jump --> grab, on my way down should i hold forward and spam H or should i just learn that timing?
    i suck with mag by the way.
  • i34ND1Ti34ND1T Joined: Posts: 16Registered
    you superjump for addf H or S. you only need to normal jump for L. just practive the timing. and if you want to wiff an air move to go low, either do normal jump addf M, H, or S. the animation will come out but no hitbox will appear. again. practice the timing.

yes, dont rush them down that way. run away with sonic booms and fly. also, normal jump adf M M H, land, st. L, S to combo works, just practice the correct height. you want to hit the top of the head with the tip of the hitbox of the j. M.

i plink from M+H~ L, same with SJ, ADDF H, its L+M~H.

learn the timing.

I probably suck more than you do x(

andi know someones going to tell you to put this in the question thread. so for future reference, put this in the question thread.
    1. i always super jump because its way faster. dont mindlessly approach your opponent with trijumps without cover from your assists because youre going to get blown up. which leads to question 2.

2. you dont trijump to hit someone in the air. ryu's tatsu is manageable because it travels horizontally in the air and its not invincible. akuma's tatsu on the other hand is one of the cheapest moves in the game. you cant punish it with a beam and if its done in the air, it can cross you up. i super jump when i see akuma's tatsu coming from the air so i dont have to worry about the cross up. now you are in the air and akuma is on the ground, so you have a choice of either air dashing away or towards akuma for an instant overhead.
  • charlie88charlie88 The number 1 HYPE BRINGING U.S. SOLDIER Joined: Posts: 1,175Registered
    hey im a pad player and im having a issue learning mags combo (the 1 where he sj after launch and lands h addf s sj h repeat) i at best can sj h follwed by addf heavy, when i try to sj back the h wiffs or isnt even close to hitting
    Master Bullshitters always complain, Master Niggas always maintain. Which one are you?
  • Aftermath1349Aftermath1349 God's Drippy Crevice Joined: Posts: 229Registered
    Anyone have advice for Mags vs Ammy? I honestly don't understand how she's supposed to be beaten without playing keepaway till she dies. Her F+M and H are unbeatable. Nothing trades or outright beats either normal (trust me I've tried), you can't punish her blockstrings because they are completely safe. Her hurtbox changes shape drastically when doing any normals or specials making her backside invulnerable during many attacks (I can't even tell you how many times I've ended up behind Ammy while she does, say, jumping H, I react with my j.H or j.S and they literally pass through her body). Sorry for sounding salty as he'll but I've been playing a very good Ammy for a couple months now and unless I cheese it out with Disruptor it's purely luck if I win because of the things stated above. I pretty much have to hope my training partner just forgets to block during mixup or I have to land an unblockable. Its incredibly irritating coming from 3S/4 where you can't just throw shit out and be safe.

So... Does anyone have any advice or tips that would help? I should note that this is the only matchup that I feel so helpless in. Even against Wolverine I've figured out what beats what. Ammy just doesn't seem to have anything punishable or even beatable.
    3S: Oro, Q, Dudley
    Skullgirls: Peacock/Double
  • FOURTHSTARFOURTHSTAR Joined: Posts: 60Registered
    I just wanna know how you unfly without getting a special attack out put and alternatively getting another move to come out
  • Aerial ScrewAerial Screw Master of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 675Registered
    improve your execution
    SSF4 - Dudley, Dan, Seth
    KOF XIII - Kula, Iori, Saiki and Athena, Yuri, Clark
  • FOURTHSTARFOURTHSTAR Joined: Posts: 60Registered
    If you dont intend to help dont reply....