Chat about anything thread

Comments

• foxisquickfoxisquick Joined: Posts: 1,284Registered
    Yeah i mean if you see the hitbox for those divekicks there are all sorts of things that blanka can do to stop it.

i'm actually trying to stay low key about blanka in ae. I think he'll be just fine.
    So annoying. I'm at 5k+pp trying to get 6k. I run into some balrog that i beat, but like an idiot i decide to re him with balrog and i lose like 8 times losing like 700 points (he was like mid 3500s) i knew i could win with blanka but i refused to switch back. shame on me ;[
  • VeseriusVeserius Paragon of Cyber-Athleticism Joined: Posts: 4,887Registered
    I just realized safeslide doesn't work in AE due to the number of active frames on slide now.

Why do I have to come up with setups I like that will be taken away from me?
  • SmokeMaxXSmokeMaxX TO of A.R.K. Joined: Posts: 6,955Registered
    Yeah i mean if you see the hitbox for those divekicks there are all sorts of things that blanka can do to stop it.

i'm actually trying to stay low key about blanka in ae. I think he'll be just fine.

Sorta. The dive kicks are weird and most Yuns don't just go in without a setup. I tried crouch tech os. cr. mp but got stuffed every single time.
    cr.mp is bad for anti airing directly above you because the hitbox is away from blanka.
    So I've been toying around with how to plink ultra more reliably.

lp mp hp hk
    lk mk hk PPP

is the layout I'm messing around with this morning. I feel dirty using a PPP button, but I'm able to hit the plink very reliably.

I have PPP on the bottom button row because I slide and will hit PPP about 1/8 elecs if it was on the top row.

I dunno this feels sort of cheap in a way for lack of a better word.
  • JOLTheadJOLThead Joined: Posts: 573Registered
    I bet a lot of people wouldn't think so. They'll take any possible advantage they can.
    PSN id: JOLThead
    Trying to come up with character specific in combo meaties is tough, damn.

On another note I'm going to start reverse engineering knockdown times for ultra 1/2 and super, though I'm not sure who doesn't have a variable knockdown time with super other than crouching chun.
  • PlibblePlibble Bhut Jolokia Beam! Joined: Posts: 35Registered
    I feel blanka has a stigma about him, I get a staggering amount of rage-mail when I use him...
    I had someone earlier who was on my friend list send me -> "shennanigans? really? i thought you were a decent player man..."
    Which confused me as I wasn't playing especially tricky hopping around and forcing him to make mistakes, I was mainly just punishing his attacks and doing the odd crossup.
    To begin with even if someone was playing 100% shennanigans I cannot see this as being a problem? You don't get people mailing you complaining when you use viper lol? A valid playstyle that works, learn to adapt...
    I don't know about you guys but I don't go in with a plan I just adapt to how they play (which seems to especially annoy balrog players)
    Aghh frustration, do you guys notice you get a suprsiing amout of mail/kicked from games/negative feedback when you're on top form with blanka?
  • DarachnidDarachnid Salty Member Joined: Posts: 555Registered
    El Fuerte is the new 'Blanka' imo. I don't see how people who main him aren't systematically hunted down via IP trace and executed.
    if you got haters then you are showing skill the end.
    I honestly get kicked from random lobbies a lot no matter who I play because the vast majority of players are garbage.

People can't really hate on my Blanka for the traditional reasons either because of how technical I play but I get hate mail calling me a turtle a lot even when I'm dizzying them/perfecting them. Hell SRK Live/Peaceful Jays have given me shit about it so i just talk massive amounts of shit on SRK Live now when I'm winning instead of being polite about it. My Live rep hovers in the 20s-30s and I don't play any other games online really, so it's all from this.

The things people complain about make the character what he is, and them bitching about you should be taken as a compliment. Also play offline if you have the chance, people are much more respectful if you are winning and playing well. Last tournament i went to I got so much love for my play.
    Got accused of using turbo on SRK Live because I was consistently doing cr.lk xx elec. haha.
  • LAU-HKLAU-HK Joined: Posts: 612Registered
    Everybody probably notice this.. but just wanna see if it's really true.

Everybody knows Blanka can talk simply from the cut scenes and the dialog after each match....

Every character in the game usually either say out their move names or at least say SOMETHING when they throw out their moves or at least during ultra... is there another character other than Blanka that doesn't say anything at all? I haven't thought through every character but does Guy say anything?

-LAU
    Guy just kinda grunts/yells mostly, but he announces his shoulder rush and tatsu.

Also I lost 700 PP today. I played against like 10 rogs, and 5 abels, and my execution was terrible. yay.

Edit: My game is just really off, I don't know whats wrong. played a guy I usually beat and he beat me like 6-3, time to be terrible again.
    I have ups and downs also. I hate it. Time to turn it off and do something else when I lose
    So mVC3 I suck at and it made me suck at sf4 too. Awesome
    haha, I haven't hit training mode with mvc3 at all so I'm comboing like it is mvc2 still. Which is fine for sent, but for other characters it is not.
    Actually I think trying the crazy fast combos in MVC3 has made me better at combos in SF4, but the gameplay speeds are so different between the 2. And Lol at trying to turtle in MvC3. Got bareable with a team of x-23, Storm, and Dr Doom. Not sure if will keep playing the game or not. Time will tell.
    haven't played for a little bit, been busy. Anyways sometime this week I should have the new thread structure up somewhat, and have some new labwork for you guys.
    Sorry about the delay, had a busy weekend, I'm still writing the master blanka thread. If there is anything that should be in it, let me know guys. Should be up Friday night or so.

Also I was playing badly recently, and I couldn't figure out what it was. I realized I wasn't dashing/hopping as much and wasn't doing the crossup meaty setups that I normally do. Man I'm dumb.
    Really hating Gen right now, can block a lot of stuff both ways, he's hard to anti air because his hitbox is stupid, and his grounded hitboxes are narrow so he's hard to tick.
  • DanteValmontDanteValmont Genhanten! Joined: Posts: 71Registered
    Really hating Gen right now, can block a lot of stuff both ways, he's hard to anti air because his hitbox is stupid, and his grounded hitboxes are narrow so he's hard to tick.

I can give some helpful advice on how to deal with Gen. One of the things that Gen Players are really afraid of when it comes to Blanka is when he does Mixups with the Electric Thunder. The Electric Thunder is very likely to stuff all of Gen's Normal/Special/Super/Ultra moves, with the exception of his Mantis Super, Mantis C.MK, Mantis C.LK, and EX Gekiro (Kick Shoryuken).

The only real thing to be careful about, is when Gen has a full Super Meter. When Gen has a full Super he can punish Blanka Balls whether it's blocked, or he get's hit by it. Other then this though, Gen isn't very threatening.

Gen is very vulnerable when he's knocked down or being pressured, and along with that he also has very low health and stun (900/900), and all of these things combined makes him very fragile.

The ideal way to play against Gen with Blanka, is to play a Mixup/Rushdown style. Gen has decent wakeup options, but his Wakeup Defense/Defensive Game is weak. Gen wasn't designed to deal with face-to-face pressure, and he has a very difficult time dealing with Blanka once he's in. The only thing that a Gen player can do to escape Blanka once he's in, is to either keep blocking until he's at a distance where he can either backdash or poke to keep his distance, or use the EX Gekiro. Gen's EX Gekiro has good invincibility, but it's a move that puts Gen at alot of risk because it lacks downward hitbox range, and along with that he recovers very slowly if it's whiffed, or blocked (35 Frames of Recovery).

Hope this helps.

- Paul
    SSF4 AE: Gen (Main), T.Hawk (Secondary)
    Hey I've played you on SRK Live a few times.

And yeah when I get gen knocked down I'm okay for the most part, the issue is that I know he can block ambiguous jumpins either way most of the time, so I go for a ground based mixup and it loses to gekiro, so then I just safejump. Overall that part of the game I'm cool with other than the block both ways part.

The main thing was the dumb jumping hitboxes, ate super like 3 matches in a row off of whiffed anti airs that would hit any other character.

oh ex isn't fully invincible, thats way easier to deal with than I thought? I'll time my meaties later, I'm just used to my automatic setups.
    Hey I've played you on SRK Live a few times.

And yeah when I get gen knocked down I'm okay for the most part, the issue is that I know he can block ambiguous jumpins either way most of the time, so I go for a ground based mixup and it loses to gekiro, so then I just safejump. Overall that part of the game I'm cool with other than the block both ways part.

The main thing was the dumb jumping hitboxes, ate super like 3 matches in a row off of whiffed anti airs that would hit any other character.

oh ex isn't fully invincible, thats way easier to deal with than I thought? I'll time my meaties later, I'm just used to my automatic setups.

Oh yeah! That's where I remembered you, lol.

Yeah, his jumps are hard to read. With any other character (besides Viper too) you can use the same timing for an Anti-air since they all have 1 specific jump arc, but with Gen you won't know which one of his 2 jump arcs he'll use until 1/3 of the way through.

His EX Gekiro has 7 frames of full strike invincibility, but no projectile invincibility though.
    oh frame data I had said 4 on the gekiro.

And yeah the different arcs are lame. His are weird, adon's is weird too. I think I'll use walk forward st.hp more, seemed to be whiffing less than my other options.

You play grounded and respected my anti air game, this dude just kept jumping. I should stop playing when I've been up all night.
    oh frame data I had said 4 on the gekiro.

And yeah the different arcs are lame. His are weird, adon's is weird too. I think I'll use walk forward st.hp more, seemed to be whiffing less than my other options.

You play grounded and respected my anti air game, this dude just kept jumping. I should stop playing when I've been up all night.

Yeah, I have to play really defensively, especially against skillful people like yourself. Most Gen players I come across like to jump alot too, and many of them I know like to take advantage of the fact that most people might not know the Gen Matchup real well and do Gimmicky things, but once somebody knows not to fall for his gimmicks, the Gen player has to resort to playing Defensively most of the time. I'm really afraid of Blanka and I almost always do things to the safest extent possible when playing against him.

If you're like me, I'm on vacation, and I've been staying up alot lately too, lol.
    yeah, a lot of going for cr.lk-> sweep when I play most Gens, and I haven't worked out a punish for it yet, because I don't have Gen on my radar mostly. oga gimmicks don't work on me too well though.

Thanks for the "skillful" comment. I'm so used to people saying Blanka is easy to play when he does no damage and his stuff is so unsafe.

And no I'm not on vacation, I have class today, I am not looking forward to it.
    yeah, a lot of going for cr.lk-> sweep when I play most Gens, and I haven't worked out a punish for it yet, because I don't have Gen on my radar mostly. oga gimmicks don't work on me too well though.

Thanks for the "skillful" comment. I'm so used to people saying Blanka is easy to play when he does no damage and his stuff is so unsafe.

And no I'm not on vacation, I have class today, I am not looking forward to it.

Yeah, I almost never use the CR.LK -> Sweep. I almost never use the Oga either except to do Chip damage to finish a round usually.

Your welcome. Honestly, I used to be one of those people until my friend convinced me to try out Blanka for a week. I used to think he was overpowered and that his mixups we're godlike, but after I tried him out for a week that was when I realized, " Wow, Blanka kinda sucks ". I think the problem is that alot of people find him annoying to fight against, and this aggravation manifests into the mentality that Blanka is godlike or something, lol.

Yeah, I just hate school. I understand.

I sympathize with Blanka Players alot, because from my understanding with each incarnation of SF4 released, Blanka just keeps getting nerfed and becoming an overall worse character.
    he's better in super than he was in vanilla, but a lot of his matchups got worse. Faster hop and u2 offset 50 hp and u1 damage nerf.

He's certainly not a great character though. 3 frame cr.short would help him so much.