Basic Video Tutorial/Guide for Total Beginners for SSF4

Comments

• TBirdSF4TBirdSF4 Joined: Posts: 115Registered
    Part 4 is ready :pleased:

The Power of Buffering

Release of new videos will be a bit slower from now on since I have some RL stuff to do, but I will keep adding additional parts. As always, if any pro players have corrections, don't hesitate to comment, I can correct mistakes in future parts :chat:
    SSF4 Video Guide series for all levels of players: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234560

Chars: El Fuerte & Sagat
  • Unknown Joined:
    That video about buffering was particularly interesting to me... I never knew about the shortcuts or buffering. Makes life so much easier...

On a side note, if anyone wants a laugh, activate the TRANSCRIBE AUDIO (BETA) feature on YouTube. :looney:
  • Zabuza0fTheMistZabuza0fTheMist Joined: Posts: 64Registered
    Thanks man those vids were really good and helped me out loads
    SONIC BOOM!!!
  • Puppet_DoctorPuppet_Doctor Joined: Posts: 42Registered
    Thanks for these tutorials they have been very beneficial to me. I also like that you actually speak during the tutorial rather then having to read. It makes it easier to understand and more user friendly. Keep up the good work.
  • RyanMacRyanMac Joined: Posts: 26Registered
    TBird is the man!
  • JammyBooJammyBoo I am Shiva. Joined: Posts: 151Registered
    The tutorials are very good. Though, in relation to the buffering video, the DP shortcut isn't df, df, it's df, d, df. The game will recognise any forward, any down and any forward motion as a dragon punch. So you could do uf, db, f and get a DP. But you need 3 inputs, not just two.

Though, this is inconsequential nitpicking. Good stuff. :tup:
    The DP shortcut isn't df, df, it's df, d, df. The game will recognise any forward, any down and any forward motion as a dragon punch. So you could do uf, db, f and get a DP. But you need 3 inputs, not just two.

Though, this is inconsequential nitpicking. Good stuff. :tup:

Hm, I am unhappy :annoy: I don't like mistakes in my videos and you seem to be correct.

I got my information originally from Eventhubs
    http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/may/04/shortcut-motions-shoryukens-dragon-punches-street-fighter-4/#comments
    and they explicitly state df, df as shortcut (along with df,d,df).

However, with input display turned on, SF4 always seems to add a down input automatically (even when I tested with my computer keyboard o.O). It's almost impossible for me to get a quick df, df without any added inputs in between, so that's probably why it's been working for me for such a long time.

Weird... :confused:
    SSF4 Video Guide series for all levels of players: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234560

• JammyBooJammyBoo I am Shiva. Joined: Posts: 151Registered
    However, with input display turned on, SF4 always seems to add a down input automatically (even when I tested with my computer keyboard o.O). It's almost impossible for me to get a quick df, df without any added inputs in between, so that's probably why it's been working for me for such a long time.
    Yeah, I think that you have to be hyper precise to get df, df without a d in the middle. So realistically the shortcut works, you sorta have to go from df to d to go back to the second df. So in a roundabout way you're correct.

Though, I wasn't trying to be like, "YOU'RE WRONG YOU SUCK" I was more just pointing something small out. :sweat:
  • Unknown Joined:
    I've gotta say, these tutorials are, simply put, awesome. I'm not a beginner, and I learned some things from them myself. Keep up the great work, TBird.
  • DanderDander wat Joined: Posts: 5,419Registered
    Thongboy bebop is back with another screen name maybe? Don't forget you still owe me forty bucks.
    good luck
  • verdisQUOverdisQUO Joined: Posts: 22Registered
    Having a hard time pulling off the Hadoken into Super Hadoken.

You say QCF, HP and then another QCF, HP since the game remembers the first input. But in my case, it seems like the game forgets and nothing happens. You reckon this is a timing thing?
    Having a hard time pulling off the Hadoken into Super Hadoken.

You say QCF, HP and then another QCF, HP since the game remembers the first input. But in my case, it seems like the game forgets and nothing happens. You reckon this is a timing thing?

Yes, it needs to be very fast, basically it's as fast as you do the ultra, you only hit a punch button in between the two QCFs.
    For visual example of what the execution looks like, check this video:

At the end of trial 19 there is Hadoken->Super and you can see the motion of the player's hand on the fightstick.

• Puppet_DoctorPuppet_Doctor Joined: Posts: 42Registered
    Hm, I am unhappy :annoy: I don't like mistakes in my videos and you seem to be correct.

I got my information originally from Eventhubs
    http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/may/04/shortcut-motions-shoryukens-dragon-punches-street-fighter-4/#comments
    and they explicitly state df, df as shortcut (along with df,d,df).

Weird... :confused:

This is just a suggestion if you haven't done so already but you can put in an annotation at the part where you explain the Shoryrukens shortcut to correct your mistake.
    This is just a suggestion if you haven't done so already but you can put in an annotation at the part where you explain the Shoryrukens shortcut to correct your mistake.

Oh, very good idea, thank you :tup:

• rattlejawrattlejaw Whiffing Karakusa. Joined: Posts: 196Registered
    These vids are great, TBird. I've been spreading the love to some SF newbies on another forum I post to. Much appreciated.
    SSF4: self-hating Makoto; Claw
  • SonnyducksSonnyducks Joined: Posts: 34Registered
    TBird. (pat-pat). That was me patting you on the back. Video #4 is great!
    Yes, it needs to be very fast, basically it's as fast as you do the ultra, you only hit a punch button in between the two QCFs.

At the end of trial 19 there is Hadoken->Super and you can see the motion of the player's hand on the fightstick.

Just saw this. Pretty good, and I definitely have to build up some dexterity in my left hand to swing the stick like that. I'm not really, but I can be better. Perhaps some execution drills on movement and hadokens are in order.

Also gave me some insight on how to hold the stick to pull some of these moves off. Thanks for the link.

Just saw this. Pretty good, and I definitely have to build up some dexterity in my left hand to swing the stick like that. I'm not really, but I can be better. Perhaps some execution drills on movement and hadokens are in order.

Also gave me some insight on how to hold the stick to pull some of these moves off. Thanks for the link.
    Looking at the vid again, there seems to be a rhythm into inputting the commands, and once you learn that, things should fall into place.
  • Unknown Joined:
    Man, video #4 has been a huge, huge help to me. I had already suspected some of the attributes of buffering with this game, since executing certain things in Trials required inputting commands in a way I was already used to with Soul Calibur II. But breaking it down the way you do in your video makes things a lot more comprehensive.

Big thanks!
  • Pimp WillyPimp Willy FUCK LENO Joined: Posts: 4,020Registered
    Everyone make sure to nominate the first post for an article so it makes it to the front page, and it gets all the exposure and views it deserves
    e$ports
  • Wu-RenegadeWu-Renegade Joined: Posts: 171Registered
    Yo thanks alot for these videos. Could you make a tutorial for blocking? Or could just anyone help me with blocking. There is no use for me being able to do plenty of combos if I can't even block. This annoys me...
  • Unknown Joined:
    great post

As a newbie myself i really appreciate this sort of tutorial since it's not really included in the game. THANKS.:tup:
  • Unknown Joined:
    Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, Sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories, all kinds of phones are available
    www.zstar.hk
    WWW.TIGERSUPERMALL.COM
    Part 5: Understanding Hyperarmor is up!
    :bgrin:

Shout-out to Kooper for stickying this thread :tup:

• Unknown Joined:
    Well, I think I may have spoke too soon. I tried to tinker with the buffering techniques mentioned in your Part 4 video, but I had little success. There were some, like c.mk > Hurricane Kick, that come out easily, but I had a hard time stringing together most others.

Just to be clear, you can only buffer inputs for a special out of a normal, super out of special, ultra out of super? Or could I buffer inputs for an ultra out of a normal or special?

Thanks
    First of all, don't be impatient :smile: Watching a video will in no way enable you to automatically to perform a combo, sometimes you need weeks or months of training for that

And I think you are confusing things. There is a difference between buffering and comboing. Yes, you can buffer an Ultra in a normal move or a special move but you will need to a) input the complete motion with all inputs and b) it will not combo! For example you can buffer the motion (without PPP) of Ken's Ultra while he performs a hurricane kick, but it does not cancel the previous move and it can be blocked if you start it after the hurricane kick ends.

During a real cancel combo (watch video number 1 again for details) you can basically "save" inputs through buffering and most important the opponent can not escape the combo once it starts! And that's were the rule of thumb "normal->special->super" comes into play.

• Unknown Joined:
    ...you can buffer the motion (without PPP) of Ken's Ultra while he performs a hurricane kick, but it does not cancel the previous move and it can be blocked if you start it after the hurricane kick ends...

Interesting...

Yeah, I appreciate the differences between comboing and buffering, but I was having trouble executing stuff associated with exactly what you mentioned above. I was trying to buffer Sakura's ultra out of her Hurricane Kick, but to no avail.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying to do the double QCB motion but with kick instead of KKK (for her Haru Ranman), and then input KKK upon landing to go into the ultra from her Hurricane Kick?

Thanks
    Interesting...

Yeah, I appreciate the differences between comboing and buffering, but I was having trouble executing stuff associated with exactly what you mentioned above. I was trying to buffer Sakura's ultra out of her Hurricane Kick, but to no avail.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying to do the double QCB motion but with kick instead of KKK (for her Haru Ranman), and then input KKK upon landing to go into the ultra from her Hurricane Kick?

Thanks

a) You can buffer the motion for Haru Ranman during her hurricane kick by inputting 2x QCB without any button and pressing KKK on landing. However, you should not do that, because it is not a combo, will usually be blocked and you eat big damage.

b) If you use the EX-hurricane kick however, you have a real combo and you can buffer her Ultra with QCB and hitting KKK upon landing for a guaranteed hit (timing is tight).

For maximum damage however, you would use EX Hurricane Kick, dash forward (f,f) upon landing and then execute QCBx2 ->KKK, but that is something that is very hard to do.

Update:
    Part 6: Focus Attack Secrets is out !
    :karate:

(well, it's not really secret, but hey, a catchy title will attract more youtube viewers :bgrin:)
    As always comments are welcome, since I got the hint about annotations, I can easily make corrections/clarifications through annotating the video.