SRK Newbie Saikyo Dojo Execution Guide (read me!)

18910111214»

Comments

• TurboNewbieTurboNewbie Joined: Posts: 27Registered
    Hey you guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but since it is the newbie thread and also the execution thread maybe it would be ok?

So, I am having problems doing a couple of things:

First: Charge characters specials into supers. Vison, Honda and Balrog (I land the combo holding back pre-jump and land the link which I think is *High punch, low medium, knee press, super") But I CANNOT connect the knee press with the super. Can you guys help me :(

Second: Dan's trial which is j.HP-S.HK-SUPER. I am not mashing but no matter how I try (I think :() The super always fails to connect.

Once again I am sorry if this is not the correct thread to post this.
    :):qcf::)
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 4,195Registered
    Hey you guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but since it is the newbie thread and also the execution thread maybe it would be ok?

So, I am having problems doing a couple of things:

First: Charge characters specials into supers. Vison, Honda and Balrog (I land the combo holding back pre-jump and land the link which I think is *High punch, low medium, knee press, super") But I CANNOT connect the knee press with the super. Can you guys help me :(

Second: Dan's trial which is j.HP-S.HK-SUPER. I am not mashing but no matter how I try (I think :() The super always fails to connect.

Once again I am sorry if this is not the correct thread to post this.

You have to buffer the super motion. The special move input counts as the first "charge back, forward" motion of the super, then you just do another "back, forward + button) to do the super.

So for example, let's say you're Balrog, and you want to do the j.HK, cr.strong, dash punch combo. Basic 3-hit combo:

j.:hk: (charging back as soon as you start to jump)
    :db: :mp:
    :f: :lp: (dash punch)

Now, let's try doing it, but we'll cancel the dash punch into his super at the this time. it will sort of look like this:

:b:
    :f: :lp: (super crazy buffalo, or whatever the fuck you call it)

This is because part of the input for the dash punch counters towards doing his super. This principle works for all characters trying to do specials into supers.
    Now, let's try doing it, but we'll cancel the dash punch into his super at the this time. it will sort of look like this:

:b:
    :f: :lp: (super crazy buffalo, or whatever the fuck you call it)

Thanks, I will try it today and report back.

Regarding the J.HK-S.HPxxSUPER Dan's combo, do I buffer the double quarter as I am jumping, when the high punch animation is active or do I wait until the last moment and do the QCF+:lp: ?

Once again, thanks a lot for your help :)
    Thanks, I will try it today and report back.

Regarding the J.HK-S.HPxxSUPER Dan's combo, do I buffer the double quarter as I am jumping, when the high punch animation is active or do I wait until the last moment and do the QCF+:lp: ?

Once again, thanks a lot for your help :)

That's actually an interesting question. I don't believe Dan has a :qcf: :hk: move, so that might actually work. Obviously, this requires some good timing on your part, because you have to perform the :d: :df: motion in the air, and then once you land, do :f: :hk: in a smooth motion. After that, you simply do another :qcf: + button to do the super. In theory, this should work.

Personally, I just do the super motion really fast, but I know how to do super motions pretty accurately due to experience.

:hk: :qcf: :qcf: + button

My recommendation is that if you're getting sloppy inputs, start off slow and work on accuracy. Once you're able to do it accurately without having to mash or do weird inputs, then you can start to build speed.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
    Thanks a lot, nailed all the special to super combos of the charges. Thanks! Now, those shoto sc.HK to supers are a different story :)
  • irl II Wilsonirl II Wilson Joined: Posts: 354Registered
    im having problems doing dps from the 2p side in games like umvc3,sf3,sf2.
    anybody got some tips ?
    thanks in advance !
    "I remind you of the things you were made to forget."
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing AAAAAA! Joined: Posts: 3,697Registered, Moderators
    1) read the first post

2) go practice
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • John SupaJohn Supa Joined: Posts: 2Registered
    I'm horrible at these games but thanks for the post.
  • razberryclownsacrazberryclownsac Shamooooooken Joined: Posts: 95Registered
    Been practicing FADC and I can't quite get it consistently. Any tips that make it easier? In kens trials, I managed to FADC a few times by inputting 2xqcf and it seemed to dash cancel and buffer my ultra. I only did it a couple times, but it made me wonder. Is there a sort of "shortcut" or do I indeed have to dash then input my 2xqcf (or what ever move I want to do)?
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing AAAAAA! Joined: Posts: 3,697Registered, Moderators
    The most consistent way is to dash then do the input, imo.

Just practice more. Break it down in parts like suggested in the first post.
  • j0nj0n Joined: Posts: 54Registered
    Anyone else having trouble dashing left on a stick? Can't do it consistently for the life of me. There are times I try to do two motions but my hand doesn't follow.
  • AwesomeFantasticAwesomeFantastic Joined: Posts: 25Registered
    Anyone else having trouble dashing left on a stick? Can't do it consistently for the life of me. There are times I try to do two motions but my hand doesn't follow.
    perhaps a different grip
    "My common sense is tingling"
    Been trying but hasn't helped much. Do you guys use your wrist or fingers when dashing?
    For dashing left I pretty much just use my thumb. Your mileage may vary.
    Was a weird question to ask, but I'm trying to figure what works. Can't tell if the grip doesn't work or I just need more time to be accustomed to stick.
    It's almost always a lack of practice.
    Been trying but hasn't helped much. Do you guys use your wrist or fingers when dashing?
    when on player 1 side to dash right I tap the stick with the palm of my hand to dash left I tap with my thumb
    Its not the middle of the palm, really more like the top close to where the fingers start, but really you have to find whats comfortable for you.
  • FlyFly Joined: Posts: 2Registered
    Ah, so thats why I could never do simple combos like H. Fierce, L. Tatsu into H. DP, canceling too late, I see. Thanks OP. Awesome post.
  • FlyFly Joined: Posts: 2Registered
    Fly said:
    Ah, so thats why I could never do simple combos like H. Fierce, L. Tatsu into H. DP, canceling too late, I see. Thanks OP. Awesome post.
    Standing Fierce sorry, but you get what I mean.
  • huemoehuemoe Joined: Posts: 4Registered
    edited February 2013
    Good day, everyone. Yup, another noob here.

My q is about executing 2 hit move, crouch HP + Hadouken. Encountered it as part of Ruy trial 9.

Now the question is - how many HP must be pressed there?

First, I tried to consequently, as input display help says - hit 1) crouch HP and 2) whole hadouken movement ending with HP button hit. But that didn't come out. Probably I'm slow yet.

Then, I started to fck around and discovered that if I do Hadouken arc movement with stick and hit HP just before it's completed - Ryu does both punch and Hadouken immediately. Just what I need. With only 1 HP press. Like 5/6 of hadouken arc + HP + remaining 1/6 arc. I managed to learn that, and it's totally reliable now.

But the thing that I did it not how manual (input display during trial) says bothers me.

So, is it OK? Or it's some kind of glitch and must learn to perform both movements consecutively?

Post edited by huemoe on
    edited February 2013
    huemoe said:
    Good day, everyone. Yup, another noob here.

My q is about executing 2 hit move, crouch HP + Hadouken. Encountered it as part of Ruy trial 9.

Now the question is - how many HP must be pressed there?

First, I tried to consequently, as input display help says - hit 1) crouch HP and 2) whole hadouken movement ending with HP button hit. But that didn't come out. Probably I'm slow yet.

Then, I started to fck around and discovered that if I do Hadouken arc movement with stick and hit HP just before it's completed - Ryu does both punch and Hadouken immediately. Just what I need. With only 1 HP press. Like 5/6 of hadouken arc + HP + remaining 1/6 arc. I managed to learn that, and it's totally reliable now.

But the thing that I did it not how manual (input display during trial) says bothers me.

So, is it OK? Or it's some kind of glitch and must learn to perform both movements consecutively?

What you're experiencing is something called 'negative edge', and it's been around in SF since forever.

Basically the game not only interprets when you PRESS a button, but also when you RELEASE a button for special moves.  For example, if you press HP, hold it, and then release it, you'll only see 1 HP come out.  But if you press HP, hold it, do a hadoken motion, and then release it, you'll get a hadoken.  The game sees that you did a fireball motion, and that you released a punch button, and so the hadoken comes out.

So when you do a cr.HP x hadoken, it works because you do cr.HP, hold it, do the fireball motion, and then release it to finish the motion.  Even though you won't see the button input in 'input display', it's working legitimately.  

But for reliability and a good practice for your execution, I'd recommend that you learn it the traditional way.  Don't separate the inputs for cr.HP and the fireball, do it in the same motion like this:

Down
    HP
    Down-forward
    Forward
    HP
    Went and tested this shortcut in SFxT - works too. But yeah, seems unnatural, so i'll try to straighten that out. Not easy to resist doing something simpler though :) Thanks.
    huemoe said:
    Went and tested this shortcut in SFxT - works too. But yeah, seems unnatural, so i'll try to straighten that out. Not easy to resist doing something simpler though :) Thanks.
    It's simpler, yes, but eventually you'll develop enough hand-speed to be able to perform rapid-fire right hand motions on the buttons.  Doing it the traditional way does help with consistency though.

Think about it, if you release a button, you only get 1 chance to land that special move.  If you press the button to do a special move, you actually get 2 inputs into the game to land that special move, literally doubling your chances.  While this may seem insignificant, hands and fingers tend to tighten up whenever you get stressed or you're about to win or lose, so these minor differences in execution might win or lose you the round.  

This is largely why more experienced players have a tendency to use advanced execution techniques such as double tapping, tripple tapping, pianoing inputs, and plinking, once they get more comfortable with how to use an arcade stick. 
    You are awesome man, thanks for help & info! :)
  • US4US4 Mark D. Aardvark Joined: Posts: 120Registered
    edited February 2013

I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or just post here.  I made a video on my idea on how to practice execution.  I did some research and put certain things together.  I'm am very far from being an execution monster but I've been doing this and it's ben working for me. 

http://youtu.be/kdam6mMKj1s

Edit: can't seem to get the video to embed.  Sorry :(

YouTube: www.youtube.com/markdaardvark
    Twitter: Mark_D_Aardvark