SRK Newbie Saikyo Dojo Arcade Stick FAQ (Read this before asking questions)

18910111214»

Comments

• Avaritia AurousAvaritia Aurous Joined: Posts: 6Registered
    Ok so I already read at the start that the Tekken 6 stick is terrible, however I've been using it for over a year and I prefer it by far compared to a controller.
    However what my actual question is, am I probably going to have to relearn stick if I end up getting a good one?
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 4,195Registered
    Ok so I already read at the start that the Tekken 6 stick is terrible, however I've been using it for over a year and I prefer it by far compared to a controller.
    However what my actual question is, am I probably going to have to relearn stick if I end up getting a good one?
    Not really.  Arcade sticks are all very similar in that the motions you learn on one will work very well on another type of arcade stick, as long as the joystick and button setup is the same (which they are).  You might have to adapt to how sensitive the joystick and buttons react, especially if you're used to lower quality sticks that require a bit more force and effort, but it's easy to adjust to that within a few hours or a few days of practicing.  

Rest assured that the skills you learned while executing on your Tekken 6 will transfer over very easily once you start using higher quality parts on your stick and/or purchase an entirely new arcade stick.  Keep in mind that it's probably cheaper to simply purchase joysticks and buttons and swapping it out yourself.  
  • Avaritia AurousAvaritia Aurous Joined: Posts: 6Registered
    Alright thanks for the info.
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT Upgrade Your Grey Matter, One Day It May Matter Joined: Posts: 438Registered
    What are good prices for buttons and joysticks? I don't want to over pay.
    Disciplines: Street Fighting, Demonology, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
    $2-$3 for basic buttons.  If you want the high quality ones, such as Sanwa-RGs, they'll cost like $5 due to the superior micro-switch.  

Basic sticks cost around $30. 
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT Upgrade Your Grey Matter, One Day It May Matter Joined: Posts: 438Registered
    Emanuelb said:
    I have a question about button sensitivity - I understand american buttons are less sensitive, while japanese parts are more sensitive. What I don't understand, is what sticks have japanese parts and what american ones. For example, Madcatz Soul calibur TE stick what kind of parts has ? in the item description it says sanwa parts - that means japanese or american ? (sounds japanese, but...).
    I'm interested in a stick with more sensitive buttons - right now I have a tekken 6 wireless stick (yeah, cheap one, but it's ok), and I wonder how are the buttons compared to a Soul calibur TE stick. Thanks.

Japanese & Korean parts are mainly what you will come across in the higher end sticks.
    The PDP Mortal Kombat stick has custom Happ parts which are American, but other than those and IL, there aren't many high quality, if any, American parts companies still around.

Disciplines: Street Fighting, Demonology, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
  • DJPlaceDJPlace Stoner Of Shoryuken Joined: Posts: 43Registered
    i got a question about this arcade sticks why is so hard to do the shoryuken command with them? and also should i buy this stick used for 75 bucks at a local game shop?

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/official-street-fighter-iv-fightstick-tournament-edition-for-sony-ps3/73046 i''m think about buy sadly i'm only an online player and i never go to local places for personal reasons.
    what the hell is the point of having a signature if we can't post pics!?!
    DJPlace said:
    i got a question about this arcade sticks why is so hard to do the shoryuken command with them? and also should i buy this stick used for 75 bucks at a local game shop?

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/official-street-fighter-iv-fightstick-tournament-edition-for-sony-ps3/73046 i''m think about buy sadly i'm only an online player and i never go to local places for personal reasons.
    Because you need to practice doing the shoryuken motion.  Simply switching to an arcade stick won't instantaneously make your execution better.  Much like being proficient at playing a musical instrument, you'll just have to sit down and practice doing the SRK motions from both 1p and 2p side until you can do it consistently in training with at least 90% accuracy.  If you can pull that off, then it'll make it much easier trying to do it during a live match.

The listing you posted has it at $110.  It's a solid stick that has quality arcade parts, and it's a good purchase.  If you only plan on using this at home with your own console, then it's a good choice.  If you intend on attending local sessions where they use a different console, you'll either have to purchase 2 sticks, or dual-mod 1 stick to work with both ps3 and xbox360 consoles.  

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you don't want to attend local sessions?  I highly recommend it, as it will both help you prove much quicker as a player, and allows you to be part of an actual fighting game community where you can meet up with other guys who enjoy the same games you do.